MPG question lads

mgsontour

Hi all

Firstly I'm not questioning the price per litre ( although that's eye watering ) but I thought I had been leaking petrol but have parked it on wet clean concrete with engine running and no rainbows which I was educated some years ago is the way to see if me chariot is leaking. So has the unleaded at the pumps been watered down as well as jacked up in price? Cheers

Yes.  'E10' means (upto) 10% bio-ethanol content.  Shouldn't really notice an appreciable mpg reduction in anything modern, unless it's high performance.  Something running on a carb or older fuel injection might struggle and need the attention of a competent mechanic

What age and type of vehicle are we talking about?  Are you determining mpg from its on board read out, or doing numbers in your head?

Also, I think whomever educated you missed the 'put cardboard down' step to really see if there are any leaks.  Cardboard will soak up and stain even the smallest petrol leak. 

Remember that there is a fuel return pipe too, so your thorough visual inspection must include that.

From the articles I've been reading people are getting less mpg from the E10 petrol so it can't be that good if you have to use more petrol to get to the same place apparently its not good for lawn mowers and such like. I have put an additive in my petrol for the mower and strimer. 

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Yes.  'E10' means (upto) 10% bio-ethanol content.  Shouldn't really notice an appreciable mpg reduction in anything modern, unless it's high performance.  Something running on a carb or older fuel injection might struggle and need the attention of a competent mechanic

What age and type of vehicle are we talking about?  Are you determining mpg from its on board read out, or doing numbers in your head?

Also, I think whomever educated you missed the 'put cardboard down' step to really see if there are any leaks.  Cardboard will soak up and stain even the smallest petrol leak. 

Remember that there is a fuel return pipe too, so your thorough visual inspection must include that.

Never had the cardboard part of the lesson but did get similar to 'wrap a length of blue roll around your CH radiator valves once a year to spot leaks' but back to me and me petrol:

2005 Honda CRV 2.0L and the dash board read out is about the same 25mpg as I chug around B roads and farm tracks etc I just seem to be going through an increased amount of fuel as I do the same miles and filling up more often.

Is E10 fuel the cheapest unleaded at the pump? Maybe I should be using the premium unleaded for my age of bus?

Cheers

19 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Is E10 fuel the cheapest unleaded at the pump? Maybe I should be using the premium unleaded for my age of bus?

E5 is usually reserved for 'premium' products, and I wouldn't have thought a CRV would benefit massively from it.

I think you appear to be missing sufficient data points to draw any meaningful conclusions though.  My suggestion, brim it, reset trip counter, run till bum squeaking-ly empty, brim it again, use latter fuel receipt to work out actual consumption.  Use either a notebook or a spreadsheet to track it depending on your technology comfort level.  Be sure to convert from litres to imperial gallons (4.54 l) not US gallons (3.something) for MPG.  Apologies if your grandmother is now wiser re sucking eggs.

8 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Since switching to E10 I get 10% less MPG. Car is two years old.

Yes E10 is way worse for MPG in my Forester, the Govt figures are pure propoganda.  So we now use way more fuel at ridiculous prices to do the same mileage, we have so much to thank this Govt for don't we!!  They are worse than clueless.

Edited by Weihrauch17

On 25/03/2022 at 09:26, Gordon R said:

Since switching to E10 I get 10% less MPG. Car is two years old.

Strangely, since the new fuel came in my average mpg has actually gone up by about 0.4 mpg but I think that's down to the way I drive it ( I do a lot of motorway driving now)

Driving style apparently makes a huge difference to fuel consumption

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2022 at 15:39, mgsontour said:

Never had the cardboard part of the lesson but did get similar to 'wrap a length of blue roll around your CH radiator valves once a year to spot leaks' but back to me and me petrol:

2005 Honda CRV 2.0L and the dash board read out is about the same 25mpg as I chug around B roads and farm tracks etc I just seem to be going through an increased amount of fuel as I do the same miles and filling up more often.

Cheers

My 2.0l CRV is currently showing 38.6 mpg

On 01/04/2022 at 02:59, Vince Green said:

Strangely, since the new fuel came in my average mpg has actually gone up by about 0.4 mpg but I think that's down to the way I drive it ( I do a lot of motorway driving now)

Driving style apparently makes a huge difference to fuel consumption

Yep the right foot has a lot to answer for. Stuck with E5 in my 3.9 landy at the moment due to no LPG so I am resisting the temptation to blip the throttle as nice as that sound is from two Cherry Bombs :yahoo:  12-15 mpg a good avaerage but it's fun to drive.

4 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Maybe on a long journey but around the doors, shopping and pigeonening only 27-ish for me

definitely, i do a lot of motorway driving but i don't hang about.  Its amazing how much the fuel consumption improves in the 50mph section of the M4.

Edited by Vince Green

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Yep the right foot has a lot to answer for. Stuck with E5 in my 3.9 landy at the moment due to no LPG so I am resisting the temptation to blip the throttle as nice as that sound is from two Cherry Bombs :yahoo:  12-15 mpg a good avaerage but it's fun to drive.

I was getting much better fuel consumption than that out of my 5.5 litre V8 Merc and i did floor it coming out of roundabouts. Land Rovers have always been poor on fuel consumption 

12 hours ago, Vince Green said:

. Land Rovers have always been poor on fuel consumption 

But (back in the day) they were so low geared for pulling power that they are often the equivalent of driving other cars in second or third gear all the time. Try that for mpg.

Edited by London Best

On 25/03/2022 at 17:58, Weihrauch17 said:

Yes E10 is way worse for MPG in my Forester, the Govt figures are pure propoganda.  So we now use way more fuel at ridiculous prices to do the same mileage, we have so much to thank this Govt for don't we!!  They are worse than clueless.

How is it anything to do with this government? the E in E10 stands for European.  Its a EU directive to cut emissions. So you can thank Brussels for that

As for the price, its a world issue

Edited by Vince Green

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

How is it anything to do with this government? the E in E10 stands for European.  Its a EU directive to cut emissions. So you can thank Brussels for that

As for the price, its a world issue

It was forced on us well after we left the EU, as for the cost the vast majority is Tax.  So both directly down to Govt policy.

19 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I hate to think what the 5.3 Jaguar XJS that I used to run would do on E10.

I barely got 10mpg, but it was certainly fun.

Long gone, now, though.