Best hide options

I'm a newcomer to pigeon shooting, though have a suitable site and a massive amount of quarry in my area - and slowly building up the necessary kit. Just interested in what would be recommended in the way of commercial hides, as opposed to constructing my own. Also recommended camo net suppliers, TIA and regards Phil H

Hello, I started with some  Army camo netting which weighed a ton  and now  use that see through sheet about 10 X 4 ft that fold up and fit in your pocket, 2 poles and most times can make a hedge hide with front netting, I have  a few  more camo nets about 10x4 and extra 2 poles if I need a hide in the open depending on wind and where pigeons feeding, the last camo nets I bought years ago from China and are non shine, a tenner for 2 🤔👍

Pop up hides and the like .can work but tend to be big and bulky to carry across a field and will probably stick out like a sore thumb against a natural backdrop .

A simple net and poles is far lighter , cheaper . Adaptable to the location and people .and more often than not blends in much better .

It's hard to recommend a commercial hide unless you want some sort of rain protection. And in that situation  I have a small camo umbrella shoved in my bag .

I would recommend a light coloured hide, harvest, wetland (reed effect), mtp, multicam, etc... Stay away from DPM, woodland, Realtree max etc as they are too dark for the UK countryside..which is mostly light greens and washed out yellows, especially at field edges.

My best net is a Killer Kamo net (digital light green multicam) but my day to day net is a multicam knock off (called CP) from AliExpress, £20 for 5m but takes 4 to 6 weeks to arrive.

Example on eBay (only 2m long) but would get direct from AliExpress as eBay is too expensive... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOOGU-Camo-Netting-Camouflage-Net-Blinds-Great-For-Sunshade-Camping-Shooting-/403501854361?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

9 hours ago, Acerforestry said:

Thanks for all replies, will look into setting up my own affair I think since as you say, many types of camo / hide colour are probably ill suited to whacking on top of a bit of pasture, in my case

If you add your location to your profile someone nearby may off to help you.  :good:

Same advice as above. Worth remembering though - that the hide netting is only a ‘base’ or foundation really. If you want a hide that blends well, take a pair of secateurs with you and build up some vegetation cuttings on it. 

I know I’m a little bit sad for taking photos of hides (?!), but hopefully these show what I mean. Oh and by the way, make them roomy - no point in being squashed in all day. 

image.jpeg.c76403f10876740bfa22d595432142fc.jpeg

image.jpeg.4c3013c7fd8eac9533057815a7ca2701.jpeg

image.jpeg.26bb7e086f9e264bd693cb3d0e1b98fe.jpeg

Worth looking at the experience of our Canadian goose guides. Used dressed layout blinds for the first few seasons we were there but too many birds veering away at the last minute. They Put a drone up and realised they stood out like a sore thumb. This season used scratch built hides with local materials and problem solved.

20 hours ago, Fellside said:

Same advice as above. Worth remembering though - that the hide netting is only a ‘base’ or foundation really. If you want a hide that blends well, take a pair of secateurs with you and build up some vegetation cuttings on it. 

I know I’m a little bit sad for taking photos of hides (?!), but hopefully these show what I mean. Oh and by the way, make them roomy - no point in being squashed in all day. 

image.jpeg.c76403f10876740bfa22d595432142fc.jpeg

image.jpeg.4c3013c7fd8eac9533057815a7ca2701.jpeg

image.jpeg.26bb7e086f9e264bd693cb3d0e1b98fe.jpeg

The above photos show what can be done with a little effort before the action begins , the op quite rightly say the nets are a base coat and can easily be improved by using local foliage , nowadays with the improved nets we tend just to rely on nets alone and in most cases they will do the job as I always think the oncoming Pigeons are looking at the decoy set up and not at your hide , mind you , if your hide stand out like a sore thumb and your decoys , floaters and magnet are glinting in the bright sunshine , then it is back to the drawing board to improve your hide and then try and start off with dead birds by taking a few out of the freezer .

Well done the op , 10 / 10 for hide construction and yes I do think your a bit sad taking photos of your hides :lol: , No only joking . 

Hide building has never been my strong point I'm normally to eager to get set up & shooting! The first picture is set up in a ditch/drain I use a fishing umbrella to cover the back of the hide with camo netting over it & then just a net & poles to cover the front. The second picture the hide is probably too big accommodating two shooters & dogs & far to much stuff as usual it could of done with adding some foliage & grass to it 

20220324_095610.jpg

20220324_095630.jpg

40 minutes ago, marsh man said:

The above photos show what can be done with a little effort before the action begins , the op quite rightly say the nets are a base coat and can easily be improved by using local foliage , nowadays with the improved nets we tend just to rely on nets alone and in most cases they will do the job as I always think the oncoming Pigeons are looking at the decoy set up and not at your hide , mind you , if your hide stand out like a sore thumb and your decoys , floaters and magnet are glinting in the bright sunshine , then it is back to the drawing board to improve your hide and then try and start off with dead birds by taking a few out of the freezer .

Well done the op , 10 / 10 for hide construction and yes I do think your a bit sad taking photos of your hides  , No only joking . 

Ha ha yes I’m a hide obsessive - I admit it. 

I think netting alone can sometimes work. However, I find very few types match perfectly with the backdrop. In the past I have got away with just netting on occasion, say during early harvest, but when the birds have seen it all before they seem too wary of that different coloured boxy thing sticking out from the hedge. 

3 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

Hide building has never been my strong point I'm normally to eager to get set up & shooting! The first picture is set up in a ditch/drain I use a fishing umbrella to cover the back of the hide with camo netting over it & then just a net & poles to cover the front. The second picture the hide is probably too big accommodating two shooters & dogs & far to much stuff as usual it could of done with adding some foliage & grass to it 

20220324_095610.jpg

20220324_095630.jpg

Glad I’m not the only one taking hide photos. 

They aren’t bad at all. The first one has the important advantage of shade. The second one could do with some ‘break up’. 

One thing I’ve noticed over the years: I shoot a lot more crows if the hide blends in well. In fact that’s what started my more elaborate efforts many moons ago. It only takes an extra 20 minutes prep’ really. 

I feel it depends on your quarry .

Mid summer with young pigeons and you can almost just stand in the field they want to be in they seem totally unafraid  /aware of the dangers. 

Later on as they wize up, into winter your hide had better totally  conceal you .

As for crows etc .your best hide is a totally natural one with virtually  no netting and certainly  nothing  with shiny  plastic .

Tuck your self well into a hedge and don't break the hedge line .and stay very still to have the best chance .

Edited by Ultrastu

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I really think you are overthinking it all!

A hide only needs to disguise you and more importantly your movement.

The military take it to the next level, but we Wood Pigeon Shooters DO NOT NEED TO.

I always think for the sake of an extra 20 minutes effort - I may as well take a few extra shy pigeons and some bonus crows. On a 6 to 10 hour day it’s not much extra time. It seems to make a difference so I keep doing it. 

4 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I feel it depends on your quarry .

Mid summer with young pigeons and you can almost just stand in the field they want to be in they seem totally unafraid  /aware of the dangers. 

Later on as they wize up, into winter your hide had better totally  conceal you .

As for crows etc .your best hide is a totally natural one with virtually  no netting and certainly  nothing  with shiny  plastic .

Tuck your self well into a hedge and don't break the hedge line .and stay very still to have the best chance .

Agreed. Even half way through harvest pigeons can get very wary. 
Also, the ultimate compliment to any hide - is when crows aren’t spooked by it. 

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And as the OP stated he was "new to Pigeon Shooting" and placed his request within the Pigeon Decoying Section, can we presume he will be happy just to "hide" from the Wood pigeons?

With the best hide possible he will “hide” a lot better…….🙂

Anyway I’m sure he will evolve his own approach with knowledge and time. If there is one thing for sure he will shoot a few birds and enjoy the journey. 

Being disabled, weight is of upmost importance to me. 

I've stopped using hide poles, and carry the minimum decoys I think I can get away with.

Don't scrimp on nets, buy the thickest and largest you can carry. Most nets are see though depending on background and it's movements that give you away the vast majority of the time. I tend to carry at least 2 to give me cover and adequate space.

I use an old basha sheet if I need to carry more decoys. It's a trade off in weight. But these are large, IRR, and my largest no bigger than my clenched fist.

I use as much natural cam as possible, living vegetation has no equal.

I also build frames of cut Hazel in areas I use a lot. I used to use metal poles and nets and leave these in place but having had 3 sets stolen this year alone I've had enough of that. I also use hidden equipment "dumps" in areas I struggle to reach, this means I have more at my disposal if I put in a full day.

Zoom into the picture, you'll clearly see the frame, just waiting for a net hanging and nothing for the equipment collector to take. Later in the year when the vegetation grows the frame will be mostly covered in natural.

20220325_105337.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Around harvest time I find there is plenty of natural cover around the edge of the fields. Last trip out I tucked myself into the hedge sat behind some tall weeds / undergrowth wearing good camo that blended in with the hedge. Lack of movement is more critical though, I'm happy to sit still in a trade with less kit to carry

On 24/03/2022 at 10:11, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I really think you are overthinking it all!

A hide only needs to disguise you and more importantly your movement.

The military take it to the next level, but we Wood Pigeon Shooters DO NOT NEED TO.

This

I have stood still in the middle of a field under a flight line and shot pigeons all afternoon. The wood 50 yards behind me was thick with brambles right to the edge of the barbed wire fence so anything landing in there would have been  non retrievable. I learned how to stand still and just move my eyes that day.