16 Bore AYA Coral Deluxe

Old Boggy

Some may recall that few weeks ago I was asking for a pal if anyone had any comments, good or bad about the above gun, or indeed if anyone actually owned one.

Long and short of it was that I viewed the gun with my pal, who wasn`t too keen, but I quite liked the look but more especially the feel of it. The previous comments received on PW likened it to a plank, which, having handled and used it, I think was most derogatory. 

Anyway, always interested in 16 bores, it now has a new home in my cabinet, after making what I thought was a silly offer for it and it being accepted. Prior to me showing any interest, I was told that straight hand stocked double triggers are completely out of fashion, an aberration and no-one wants them. This I used to my advantage in making the offer and must admit that I am more than happy with my purchase, having used it a couple of times and shot well with it, or as well as I`m ever likely to. Being choked 1/4 and 1/2, I will have no hesitation in firing steel, HP or standard through it come the duck season. For a gun that is at least 40 years old, it appears to have had very little use and is in unmarked condition. The Germanic type engraving is not particularly to my taste, but I can live with that.

I attach a couple of photos, but take this opportunity to apologise to those loyal side by side users of deviating off the righteous path.

OB

IMG_2666.JPG

IMG_2668.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

IMG_2672.JPG

Don't be so silly. 😊😊  you know full well that you'll not be able to shoot stuff down with a gun like that. , it's got double triggers,  not multi choke, and the barrels are not at least 32 " long.  No chance.  Don't suppose that it kicks like a mule also. It's got the look of a Merkel. 😊😊

2 hours ago, Minky said:

It's got the look of a Merkel.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Reminds me of a Merkel.

Several of AyA's O/U models were almost direct copies of Merkel models including the AyA Model 37 (near exact copy of Merkel 303E sometimes even down to the engraving style) and the AyA Augusta (similar to Model 37 but even more expensively engraved/finished and without the Kersten bolts).

Edited by JohnfromUK

13 hours ago, Minky said:

Don't be so silly. 😊😊  you know full well that you'll not be able to shoot stuff down with a gun like that. , it's got double triggers,  not multi choke, and the barrels are not at least 32 " long.  No chance.  Don't suppose that it kicks like a mule also. It's got the look of a Merkel. 😊😊

And not forgetting of course that you cannot get red cartridges for a 16 bore 🤣

10 hours ago, wymberley said:

The first time you use that in a pigeon hide you'll soon realise what a load of codswallop that is. Nice one!

I agree. I much prefer double triggers having shot with sides by sides for the last 55 years, so this gun suits me well. 

OB

15 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Rather nice!   :good:

13 hours ago, Scully said:

Very nice. Reminds me of a Merkel. 👍

14 hours ago, alan123shooting said:

Yes indeed Sir a very nice acquisition 

Thank you gents.

1 minute ago, London Best said:

I wouldn’t buy a double gun with a single trigger.

For those who prefer an O/U, there are relatively few choices in double trigger.  It is a guess, but I would suggest that maybe 95% plus O/Us are single trigger.

You see some double trigger Berettas, but only a few, some Merkels and some AyAs - plus a few (but rather higher proportion of very expensive) older English O/Us.  I don't recall ever seeing a double trigger Browning, but I guess some were made?

The original post is an AyA based on a Merkel.  I can't comment on AyA versions, but Merkels often have the triggers set rather heavy as supplied.

7 minutes ago, London Best said:

Merkels ARE rather heavy as supplied!

In fact, if @Old Boggy knows and could let us know the weight, it would be interesting.  As a 16 it will obviously be a bit lighter than a 12, and I'm assuming the barrels are 28", so I'm guessing it might come in around 7 lbs, maybe a bit under.  That is I know heavy by s/s standards, but not by O/U standards.

My 12g Merkels (28" barrels and 14 1/2 stocks) are around 7 1/4 lbs.

Edited by JohnfromUK

14 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

In fact, if @Old Boggy knows and could let us know the weight, it would be interesting.  As a 16 it will obviously be a bit lighter than a 12, and I'm assuming the barrels are 28", so I'm guessing it might come in around 7 lbs, maybe a bit under.  That is I know heavy by s/s standards, but not by O/U standards.

My 12g Merkels (28" barrels and 14 1/2 stocks) are around 7 1/4 lbs.

The weight is 6 lbs 10 oz and yes the barrels are 28 inch. It obviously feels slightly heavier than my 16 Side by sides but doesn`t feel `cumbersome` and nothing like a `plank` as previously referred to by others. In fact it feels pretty steady to shoot and I do like the instant choice of barrel selection with double triggers which I`m used to on my side by sides.

I have not noticed any excessive recoil and trigger pulls don`t seem heavy although I`ve not measured them. Will do so and report back. The LOP is 14 1/2 inches which is fine for me. Shooting left-handed I do not find the very slight `cast off` (approx 1/8th) of the stock a problem whereas I have to have `cast on` on my side by sides as I find this more important for a consistent gun mount on a side by side than an over/under.

OB

7 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

but doesn`t feel `cumbersome` and nothing like a `plank` as previously referred to by others.

And that is exactly how I find my Merkels to feel - and how I would expect your AyA to feel.  I have read that the design has the weight rather more concentrated 'between the hands' than many types - which is supposed to increase the 'liveliness'.  It is one of the livelier O/U designs I have handled ....... but handling and how things feel are a very personal thing.  One man's wand is another man's plank!

I'm sure you could have the cast altered should you wish.  Mine certainly don't have any recoil problems and I have had the triggers 'refined' which has been very successful, but one of mine in particular was very heavy when I got it.