What next? No Sunday driving.

Nitram xx

10 hours ago, Nitram xx said:

Could it get any worst? No, just stop at home or walk on Sundays. No driving, might even buy a television, no can't afford to turn it on, Help. 

Link? Can’t find any reference to this ridiculous suggestion at all. 

1 minute ago, WalkedUp said:

Being limited to a locale on the day of rest is not a new idea!

Sundays are some peoples busiest day. 

ERUV

a designated , boundaried (sometimes by a single wire) area in neighbourhoods where strictly religious Jews can carry/push

items or do other activities normally not allowed under their interpretation of their scripture. EG push a wheelchair around.

There are a number of ERUVs in N London and their presence was a controversial issue when planning was gained some 20  years ago.

No impact for Non Jewish people.

bw gdadphil

Done this today all in one journey...took boy to school at 8.30am, called in at the GP surgery to collect a prescription and query when my medical reference would be done for FAC/SGC renewal, went to insurance broker to collect new policy, took laptop to computer repair shop, collected my BSA Scorpion from having news seals installed and serviced, too said BSA Scorpion to local range to zero it. Petrol is now too expensive and has been for some few years to not try to combine several tasks in one journey. 

5 hours ago, gdadphil said:

ERUV

a designated , boundaried (sometimes by a single wire) area in neighbourhoods where strictly religious Jews can carry/push

items or do other activities normally not allowed under their interpretation of their scripture. EG push a wheelchair around.

There are a number of ERUVs in N London and their presence was a controversial issue when planning was gained some 20  years ago.

No impact for Non Jewish people.

bw gdadphil

Yes there is one near where I live in NW London, not that you would know.

The interpretations of what you can and cant do if you are Jewish varies tremendously round here

A bigger impact for getting around in London at the weekend is the fact that they close sections of the underground Sat / Sunday for scheduled maintenance 

Edited by Vince Green

12 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh I know, its a Jewish word for the Saturday, many people probably wouldn't understand your point though.

It was drawing a (possibly tenuous) analogy between the academic proposal for car free Sundays (limiting one primarily to their locale) and a religious rule to limit one to a locale on a specific day of the week. 

Edited by WalkedUp

There already are, or at least were - haven't checked / travelled there recently - places where cars are licensed either for alternating days of the week.

Those that can afford  / must do so are able to pay double the licence fee and drive the same car all days of the week.

It is usually driven by the need to try to control congestion and urban air quality. 

Edited by Raja Clavata
places

22 hours ago, London Best said:

Religion has caused nothing but trouble for 2000 years.

My son asked me if he could get a prayer mat. I said of course, but why? He wanted to send a prayer for our dead dog. He then checked if we are indeed Muslim. I said no, not really. He asked if that makes us Hindu. Again I said not really....

I explained that our society is Christian by culture but neither myself or anyone I know is religious. It seems that organised religion may be dying out. Don’t worry though. Veganism etc is the new altar for sacrifice. 

Edited by WalkedUp