Poults

My regular supplier of Pheasant poults can still supply me with my 1000 all be it a month later than normal. We can live with this just adjust our dates, I also want to support him as he has always been good to us. His Partridges are at the moment a no go as they can't get eggs come from France. Hopefully they might get some but later than normal, a big shoot I know is already talking about cancelling Partridge days in September.

How is everyone else fairing?

I would not like to be a Game Farmer.

Yes, Richard Gray Premier Game Days just notified me about shortage of partridges. Fortunately the days I have booked not a problem as they rear their own but some eggs are being shipped from Spain. All more or less down to bird flu putbreaks...so they say.    It really does show that it doesn't pay to put all your eggs ....no pun intended .... in one basket and have other supplies. 

1 hour ago, rimfire4969 said:

My regular supplier of Pheasant poults can still supply me with my 1000 all be it a month later than normal. We can live with this just adjust our dates, I also want to support him as he has always been good to us. His Partridges are at the moment a no go as they can't get eggs come from France. Hopefully they might get some but later than normal, a big shoot I know is already talking about cancelling Partridge days in September.

How is everyone else fairing?

I would not like to be a Game Farmer.

Spoke to my mate the other day, the shoot they were planning to have a load of training days for trials have cancelled them, as they are 50,000 partridges short. 

They don't know how short they are going to be on pheasants yet. 

35 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, Richard Gray Premier Game Days just notified me about shortage of partridges. Fortunately the days I have booked not a problem as they rear their own but some eggs are being shipped from Spain. All more or less down to bird flu putbreaks...so they say.    It really does show that it doesn't pay to put all your eggs ....no pun intended .... in one basket and have other supplies. 

Should go back to being bred and reared in Britain perhaps! 

A major problem looming it seems. Shooting buddy is a game farmer and sounds like he is expecting to be 25% at least down on his pheasant poults and no partridges from what he is saying. As said the issue is avian flu in France so no exports. Yes they are trying to supply from Spain but his view is still unlikely to be enough to go around.

My syndicate has decided to cancel the season, cant get his eggs from France, rising cost of gas and wheat...... some shoots heading for another disastrous season. Covid, bird flu, what next?  is this the beginning of the end for a lot of big commercial shoots?  Prices have already risen, with demand outstripping supply prices can only go one way. 

18 minutes ago, macca2017 said:

My syndicate has decided to cancel the season, cant get his eggs from France, rising cost of gas and wheat...... some shoots heading for another disastrous season. Covid, bird flu, what next?  is this the beginning of the end for a lot of big commercial shoots?  Prices have already risen, with demand outstripping supply prices can only go one way. 

What a shame

Could they simply not just scale back or is it a big shoot ?

200 bird days and two syndicates on that same estate, therefore a lot of birds required.  Apparently he tried to get the birds from Spain, but cant get enough.

I only have 1/2 gun (5days), but still gutted, he said there maybe some smaller days later on in the season, but I'm currently trying to fill my diary up with the days I've lost.

On 30/03/2022 at 20:11, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, is there going to be a shortage of pheasant and partridge poults ? A shoot I know are looking at July for theirs even August, much to late, if any PW member knows a supplier who can deliver the usual time let me know 

As above my mate said he spoke with the keepers on the big shoots nearby, the 50,000 partridges they had on order they were told they can’t get any. 

Just updated today that the 40,000 pheasants they have ordered they have been told they’ll be lucky to get 20,000. Be damn lucky if they even get that as a beat case scenario. 

Sounds like a lot until you consider it’s being run as a business and priced to make a profit off the back of all the birds achieving the numbers needed. 

Can see another disastrous season. 

On 31/03/2022 at 12:37, Nmb said:

We just had our order of 2500 pheasants cancelled yesterday and only supplier we could source is charging £12.50 per poult!

Looking like a very tough season for us.

Heard of places offering to pay £10 a poult and they still can’t get their birds confirmed. 

10 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, if a lot of  shoots cannot get this year's poults what will happen to the the gamekeepers and other staff associated to them ? The large estates may be ok but the average or DIY shoot may not be able to finance another year of no shooting, 

DIY shoots will be ok as they don't have keepers or staff.

The small shoots where they are self-employed keepers trying to make a living are in real danger of folding I would think. 

All the farms I've looked at are not publishing the potential lack of birds on their websites, price lists are up and showing all happy. Be interesting to see what this coming season brings... 

We are looking to buy the feed now and store it before the prices go up yet again. Birds are looking to be the unknown,might have to crack out the incubator and look to get some eggs, I have my golden pheasants, maybe I can collect the eggs and sort out a drive of them this coming season 🤷🏼‍♂️

Received this on Friday ... echos many of the comments already made.

A winter of fowling and Pike fishing ahead I think!!

We wanted to make you aware of the issues moving forward for Partridge and Pheasant shooting next season... As it stands France are not letting any of their Game Farms transport eggs to England due the the huge increase in Avian Flu cases in France - 75% of our UK stock (Partridges/Pheasants) come from France, so at the moment over 55 million eggs might not be coming over here to the UK! 

They have already missed the window for Partridge eggs, so only UK layed Partridges will be available for the coming season, this is a c. 80% loss to that specific market!

DEFRA are still in negotiations with France about the transportation of Pheasant eggs from France to the UK, therefore we must not panic too much until we know whether they can send eggs over or not. It would become critical for Game Farms and Shoots if eggs did not start coming over by mid to end of April. 

Couple this potential disaster with the vast increase in Oil, Gas, Fertiliser, Wheat and Pellet prices (due to Russian sanctions and the Ukrainian War), no one can actually put their finger on the cost of shooting a bird next season? UK reared poults are now being sold at triple what they were originally quoted at for this year and rising, shoots are unwilling to go firm on pricing until they know what is happening with their birds... 

We would urge you to speak to any shoots you are booked in with for the coming season just to get an idea of what they plan to do. 

I have been notified that a (small) partridge day I take with friends every year in September is a 'non starter' - IF they do get any partridges, they will only be ready for later days.  As I understand it, they are still hoping the pheasant season can go ahead - at least in some form.  I have not heard yet what the situation is for our very small local shoot, but I'm not optimistic.

I am very glad I'm no longer running a shoot.

Edited by JohnfromUK

• 3 months later...

We paid a deposit for our poults and have the invoice , but having real problems getting deposit back ,he said he could not supply at the price me gave me in February and wanted £10 a poult which our syndicate could not pay ,we said we have to cancel the order.

what to do next 

Does the invoice state the final sales price and the terms and conditions.

Poults do not cost £10 each to raise from £4.20 or what you agreed, prices might have risen to £6 or £7 so with increased feed, gas etc etc, £10 is the open market price i.e. what he thinks he can get.

13 minutes ago, BUCKSHOT1 said:

We paid a deposit for our poults and have the invoice , but having real problems getting deposit back ,he said he could not supply at the price me gave me in February and wanted £10 a poult which our syndicate could not pay ,we said we have to cancel the order.

what to do next 

If you are within small claims amount, go down that route asap as this will put a crimp in his credit rating for next year and he is likely to be flush with this year's cash.

On 07/08/2022 at 13:03, BUCKSHOT1 said:

he said he could not supply at the price me gave me in February and wanted £10 a poult which our syndicate could not pay

I have heard of another case like that today .......... but this time the game farm wants £11.  I don't know what the 'contract deal' (if indeed any) was between the shoot and the game farm, but the shoot feels very 'let down' only having been told only a few days before they expected to have the poults delivered.  I understand that game farm was one they had used for several years.  I also suspect profiteering.

On 07/08/2022 at 13:03, BUCKSHOT1 said:

what to do next 

Get the birds elsewhere if you can and Sue in the county court for the extra cost. He seems to have breached his contract. Then name and shame.

I am pleased to say our birds were delivered at the agreed price despite the game farmer having offers to take his entire stock at double our price!