It's a mystery

walshie

Last night my neighbour came round to tell me 2 of my chickens were loose on the road. I told him I don't have chickens so we left it at that.

This morning there were 2 piles of feathers. 1 in the road and 1 outside his house. Not sure if it was fox or car that did that.

There is an old derelict cottage between my house and his house, set in the woods.The owner only comes here a few times a year to cut back the jungle growing round his house. 

By chance, he was there this morning so I asked if he was moving back and had chickens. He said no but there was a bowl of water and a bowl of chicken food outside his back door. No-one has been squatting in his house so who would keep 2 chickens out the back of someone else's house?

Better do a night patrol tonight to see what's what.

1 hour ago, Bigbob said:

I jion all the poultry forums on facebook saying i am willing to take any cockrals local for ferret food and theres posts that folk are still dumping them do they think they live long after being dumped ?  

they all used to end up on the Ditchingham roundabout in Norfolk.......google it

On 25/03/2022 at 13:31, walshie said:

Last night my neighbour came round to tell me 2 of my chickens were loose on the road. I told him I don't have chickens so we left it at that.

This morning there were 2 piles of feathers. 1 in the road and 1 outside his house. Not sure if it was fox or car that did that.

There is an old derelict cottage between my house and his house, set in the woods.The owner only comes here a few times a year to cut back the jungle growing round his house. 

By chance, he was there this morning so I asked if he was moving back and had chickens. He said no but there was a bowl of water and a bowl of chicken food outside his back door. No-one has been squatting in his house so who would keep 2 chickens out the back of someone else's house?

Better do a night patrol tonight to see what's what.

Looks like somebody is trying to claim the property by adverse possession.  If they can prove they have kept chickens there for seven years (even if its only off and on) they can claim legal occupation and register it as their own. Its still very common in Wales.

It used to be known as squatters rights but it's a bit more difficult these days. Still possible though

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Looks like somebody is trying to claim the property by adverse possession.  If they can prove they have kept chickens there for seven years (even if its only off and on) they can claim legal occupation and register it as their own. Its still very common in Wales.

It used to be known as squatters rights but it's a bit more difficult these days. Still possible though

Interesting. 👍

5 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Hello, is that the way travellers get their right to land ? I know of one family that did this many many years ago, very wealthy now 

3 hours ago, walshie said:

Interesting. 👍

I bet you anything that property is classified as unregistered at the land registry. Thousands of old properties have never been registered for different reasons

If that's the case anybody can try to claim it and it's quite legal if they go about it the right way.

They have to be able to show they have "occupied" it for a number of years. Keeping bees or a goat on the land used to be favourite. It qualifies as occupation

First you go to a solicitor and get them to witness an affidavit saying you intend to occupy the property. This registers the starting date.

Then the really sneaky ones would turn up from time to time with a couple of bee hives or a goat. Take some photos and then clear off again. Only staying for less than an hour

They were careful to get the photos printed at a place that stamped the date on the back. The boots labs used to do this.

Then however many years later, armed with their affidavit and their date stamped photos they could apply for the courts to award them title to the property.

People made fortunes, doing it to multiple "abandoned " properties or parcels of land at the same time.

It looks to me very much like somebody is after making a claim on your neighbour's property

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

I bet you anything that property is classified as unregistered at the land registry. Thousands of old properties have never been registered for different reasons

If that's the case anybody can try to claim it and it's quite legal if they go about it the right way.

They have to be able to show they have "occupied" it for a number of years. Keeping bees or a goat on the land used to be favourite. It qualifies as occupation

First you go to a solicitor and get them to witness an affidavit saying you intend to occupy the property. This registers the starting date.

Then the really sneaky ones would turn up from time to time with a couple of bee hives or a goat. Take some photos and then clear off again. Only staying for less than an hour

They were careful to get the photos printed at a place that stamped the date on the back. The boots labs used to do this.

Then however many years later, armed with their affidavit and their date stamped photos they could apply for the courts to award them title to the property.

People made fortunes, doing it to multiple "abandoned " properties or parcels of land at the same time.

It looks to me very much like somebody is after making a claim on your neighbour's property

Thanks for that info. I'll pass it on. 

On 30/03/2022 at 04:10, Vince Green said:

If I'd known this id of owned an old farmhouse local to me by now.. damn it... Been empty for years... Recently got auctioned off for development as it had land attached... 

On 30/03/2022 at 11:56, Vince Green said:

Didn't they tighten the law up on this a couple of years ago vince ?, I think that it was changed along with squatters rights amongst other things .

A mate tried it with a small piece of council land next to his house . The council said that they'd fight it all the way , but that he was free to use the land while he lived in his house.

I vaguely remember,  one of the changes in the law , being that you had to make every effort the find the rightful owner of the land or property , before you made any attempt to claim it as your own.

9 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Didn't they tighten the law up on this a couple of years ago vince ?, I think that it was changed along with squatters rights amongst other things .

A mate tried it with a small piece of council land next to his house . The council said that they'd fight it all the way , but that he was free to use the land while he lived in his house.

I vaguely remember,  one of the changes in the law , being that you had to make every effort the find the rightful owner of the land or property , before you made any attempt to claim it as your own.

Yes they tightened up the law a few years ago when crooks were doing it in an underhand way and basically scamming people out of property.

However if a piece of land or a building has never been registered as having an owner with the Land Registry and can be shown to be derelict it's still possible