Wheat prices

Going to bag some up next week at the farm we trade with, £280 a tonne and changing daily.  Poult prices going through the roof, how long will driven shooting be sustainable  escpecially with birds wandering in warm winters.  I don't see a good future for Driven shooting.

Edited by Weihrauch17

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, tonyshooter said:

My small driven shoot is " rumoured " to be going up from £2.5K pa to £4k pa for the exact same days / birds.

The dilema is pay it or it will fold !

Combined with the cost of living increases I can't see how alot of people could afford it.

Edited by Weihrauch17

Hello, my friends farm , the wheat has gone up about £120 a ton from last year's prices, selling grain can be up and down depending what it's going for, milling or beer, keeping the rats down now pays dividends on wheat as if tainted the wholesaler will want it at a lower price, any PW member who shoots on a farm with a grain dryer keeping them rats down will all help to keep the  farmer  happy 👍

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

2 hours ago, tonyshooter said:

My small driven shoot is " rumoured " to be going up from £2.5K pa to £4k pa for the exact same days / birds.

The dilema is pay it or it will fold !

What do you get for your money?

4 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Going to bag some up next week at the farm we trade with, £280 a tonne and changing daily.  Poult prices going through the roof, how long will driven shooting be sustainable  escpecially with birds wandering in warm winters.  I don't see a good future for Driven shooting.

I'd be more worried about the shortfall of (many millions?) eggs this year, unable to be imported from France because of bird flu. You can pay for what's there. even if it's more expensive.  You can't pay anything to conjure up something that doesn't exist.

But I think we need to chill out.  It's only a blip.  This year might be affected but it'll settle down over the next couple.

This is where the smart people survive and those who've historically made poor decisions disappear.

Maybe this is shooting's "Great reset" ?!

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, my friends farm , the wheat has gone up about £120 a ton from last year's prices, selling grain can be up and down depending what it's going for, milling or beer, keeping the rats down now pays dividends on wheat as if tainted the wholesaler will want it at a lower price, any PW member who shoots on a farm with a grain dryer keeping them rats down will all help to keep the  farmer  happy 👍

Anyone on a small DIY shoot could ask the farmer if there's any wheat spare to buy for this year's game shoot might need to pay more or maybe help tidy up the grain dryers as there is alway some surplus lying around , and in the air ducts, these type of grain dryers need to be cleaned out every summer for the coming harvest, worth a thought ??

On 26/03/2022 at 09:14, oldypigeonpopper said:

Anyone on a small DIY shoot could ask the farmer if there's any wheat spare to buy for this year's game shoot might need to pay more or maybe help tidy up the grain dryers as there is alway some surplus lying around , and in the air ducts, these type of grain dryers need to be cleaned out every summer for the coming harvest, worth a thought ??

Hello, just to add, latest price on feed wheat is around £300, that's £15 a 50 kg bag for anyone buying for the DIY pheasant shoot, 

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/03/2022 at 09:01, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, by the look on the TV reports a lot of agriculture land is strewn with unexploded bombs, shrapnel and all matter of burned out vehicles that will take years to clear for grain production , 

Then about time to get rid of those 6 mtr strips around fields and using land to grow 'grass' to generate electricty.  I have a large farm locally which has a huge amount of land doing just this when they could be sowing wheat. Of course the powers that be and the 'money launderers' would rather ship it half way around the world rather than grow it ourselves, lowering the world price such that our farmers could not make a living so you cannot blame them for taking the option.  A shame it takes a war to kick these idiots up the backside ...... my old grannie used to say charity begins at home, if we don't look after ourselves first we will not be able to help others.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Then about time to get rid of those 6 mtr strips around fields and using land to grow 'grass' to generate electricty.  I have a large farm locally which has a huge amount of land doing just this when they could be sowing wheat. Of course the powers that be and the 'money launderers' would rather ship it half way around the world rather than grow it ourselves, lowering the world price such that our farmers could not make a living so you cannot blame them for taking the option.  A shame it takes a war to kick these idiots up the backside ...... my old grannie used to say charity begins at home, if we don't look after ourselves first we will not be able to help others.

Hello, my friends farm has the field strips, will be cut for hay when the grass is ready, £50 a large bale, it will leave less crops to harvest, saying this I would not be able to get around the fields without them 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

They are not clever enough.  The real problem for Ukrain farmers are the abandoned ornance lying around including mones and Russkies taking pot shots at them and their tractors so they are wearing helmets and body armour when out and about.  It will be two years before things settle down again.  Tomorrow is likely the day of recogning Labour Day if mardy **** Pootin decides to do something stupid.

Whole maize by the bag has gone from £8 to £12 locally.

Grain price is also linked to many other goods inc milk, cheese, butter, bread, cakes etc etc which will rise.

9 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Grain price is also linked to many other goods inc milk, cheese, butter, bread, cakes etc etc which will rise.

Dairy and Beef produces have been feeding fodder and concentrates made on last years prices and prices have had to go up.Boy there will be a difference this year

I have a good friend who runs a dairy herd and their cost have gone up sharply and we tend to forget things like diesel and of course his contractors machines run on that so harvesting the grass for silage and even having the hedges trimmed, the price goes up.  Fortunately being raised in the last war years and early 50s I have learned to tighten my belt but many young millenials as they are called have never had to suffer such restraint or 60s baby boomers for that matter.

On 30/04/2022 at 12:58, ditchman said:

i have posted this snippet of info on the Ukraine forum

i caught the end of a throw away remark that the Russians were taking/looting the stored grain in Ukraine territory ...:hmm:

perhaps someone can confirm this ................

Hello, looks like it Simon , from what I read online the amount of wheat stolen is huge quantities , Putin not satisfied with murdering 1000s of Ukraine nationals he's going to leave the country a wasteland that will take generations to rebuild if ever that is possible 

You doubt the Ukains. They will rebuild with our help. Putin will be history in a few weeks time. It is important that all of his 'aides' also meet the same fate.

I watched the Festival of Music  Royal Marines and it was very moving as they played the Ukrainian  theme after God Save thw Queen and the whole audience stood and clapped for over 15 minutes.