Wheat prices

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 25/03/2022 at 22:47, tonyshooter said:

My small driven shoot is " rumoured " to be going up from £2.5K pa to £4k pa for the exact same days / birds.

The dilema is pay it or it will fold !

Tony

Why not just add an extra gun or two and reduce the amount of birds slightly ?

Do you work out what it cost per bird in seasons past ?

My fees have nearly doubled from £550 to £1000 with the numbers of birds reduced by a third to 400, might well be my last year if it is anything like last season.  Simply not worth the money by a long chalk. We would be better just paying the rent and rough shooting.

11 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

My fees have nearly doubled from £550 to £1000 with the numbers of birds reduced by a third to 400, might well be my last year if it is anything like last season.  Simply not worth the money by a long chalk. We would be better just paying the rent and rough shooting.

That sounds seriously cheap shooting before

How many guns ?

• 2 weeks later...

Some wonderful land I shoot on is being covered in Solar Panels, it is insanity and they are monstrous things in the middle of the countryside on Prime Land.  Johnson is truly derranged and has destoyed the country in just 2 years.

4 hours ago, bluesj said:

Make you wonder if our government will get the idea that maybe we should pay the tree planting and rewilding on hold for a bit and plant something we can eat instead! 

Carrie would shut her legs so no chance.

Global index for wheat has rose by 6% today on the announcement that India has applied restrictions on exporting wheat due to drought. Wheat around £300 per tonne as of todays price and new wheat forecast for this year around the £400 per tonne. Rape forecast at £800 per tonne.

Cattle, poultry and pig farmers must be feeling it something rotten from a feed point, I feel for them. Monopoly supermarkets won't increase the retail prices, the producer is squeezed as usual. Increase the retail price and allow the consumer the choice to purchase and help keep afloat the producers.

23 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Monopoly supermarkets won't increase the retail prices, the producer is squeezed as usual.

There is no reason for Supermarkets to increase producer prices when there is a world surplus and they source globally, however given we are entering a world shortage, and export bans, supermarkets will have no choice but to pay more or have no product to sell.

37 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

There is no reason for Supermarkets to increase producer prices when there is a world surplus and they source globally, however given we are entering a world shortage, and export bans, supermarkets will have no choice but to pay more or have no product to sell.

Of the two farms I shoot on both are growers for one of the, if not the biggest supermarket in the uk. One grows spuds and the other is all greens, cabbages, caulis, leeks among others. They, the two farmers have always assured me it has never been in the business model of the supermarket to pay more for them producing, and If anything, it is for them to produce more at a lower cost to the supermarket.

As you say with global shortages, bans etc let us hope that the worm turns for producers.

Have a look at this recent article in the Farmers Weekly.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/livestock/poultry/layers/egg-producers-on-the-brink-as-30-cost-rise-wipes-out-profits

10 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Of the two farms I shoot on both are growers for one of the, if not the biggest supermarket in the uk. One grows spuds and the other is all greens, cabbages, caulis, leeks among others. They, the two farmers have always assured me it has never been in the business model of the supermarket to pay more for them producing, and If anything, it is for them to produce more at a lower cost to the supermarket.

As you say with global shortages, bans etc let us hope that the worm turns for producers.

Have a look at this recent article in the Farmers Weekly.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/livestock/poultry/layers/egg-producers-on-the-brink-as-30-cost-rise-wipes-out-profits

A farmer we know was doing the Milk for Muller (Muller rice, yogurts etc). 

Apparently had a 5 year contract, prices rises have been going up the entire 5 years but they fixed the price 5 years ago and refuse any changes. 

The contract ran out recently and they refused to pay any more. 

He said the last 1-2 years he’s pretty much been losing money because of the huge increases in costs. 

They still refused to pay anymore so he’s ended up selling all his cows as it’s not worth while. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

A farmer we know was doing the Milk for Muller (Muller rice, yogurts etc). 

Apparently had a 5 year contract, prices rises have been going up the entire 5 years but they fixed the price 5 years ago and refuse any changes. 

The contract ran out recently and they refused to pay any more. 

He said the last 1-2 years he’s pretty much been losing money because of the huge increases in costs. 

They still refused to pay anymore so he’s ended up selling all his cows as it’s not worth while. 

Absolutely ruthless and I can well believe what you say Lloyd. Very sad indeed, another livelihood gone, another part of our countryside way of life gone. If it was all dairy for him, how can he make a living now? 

I often wonder does our goverment want us to produce food, or would it be happier with cheap imports.

I know of another local farmer who sold  a crop to one of the big markets and when he received payment it was half of what he expected. He said he was told by the supermarket that they put that particular product on a 'BOGOF' offer to the public and that as the producer he  would stand the cost of the offer.  As I recall this was the first and last time he said he would ever deal direct with a supermarket chain. On reflection, it was somewhere in the contract which he said you needed to be a 'Philadelphia Lawyer' to understand. He was going to seek legal advice and said he was basically told they had a lot more funds to sustain any lenghty legal battle. The loss was into the many, many thousands.

Supermarkets are already putting their prices up in line with the cost of goods produced going up.

There will be more to come also.

The problem for manufacturers is that their bills are increasing at a higher rate than they can negotiate new prices at ... graphs are looking exponential for most input costs.

I'm fortunate to work in part of the food industry that values the partnerships with our growers, and we understand the costs of producing our crops and compensate our farmers accordingly.

I think a bigger and more important debate is why are we worrying about feeding pheasants when many people across the globe will be facing starvation due to the scarcity of supply.

4 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

I think a bigger and more important debate is why are we worrying about feeding pheasants when many people across the globe will be facing starvation due to the scarcity of supply.

A very healthy food is still being produced though.

• 2 months later...
On 16/05/2022 at 12:38, Ratlegs said:

Afnoon all on the news India has stopped wheat exports  they are the world's second-biggest producer

Can we hope we stop wasting wheat to make the silly E10 petrol 

That would be a good start !

On 16/05/2022 at 17:31, Ratlegs said:

Plus all the acres of the best Lincolnshire fen land they want to cover with solar panels

The best fertile land anywhere

All new builds should have panels fitted as standard

I'm old seen it all I thought

...and that`s an even better idea.....they should only be allowed on derelict or non cropping land..

Edited by matone

On 25/03/2022 at 22:47, tonyshooter said:

My small driven shoot is " rumoured " to be going up from £2.5K pa to £4k pa for the exact same days / birds.

The dilema is pay it or it will fold !

That is an expensive small shoot. Ours is £750 for a full gun about 800 - 900 birds to wood.

5 hours ago, rimfire4969 said:

We have normally 8 guns standing. Its a diy shoot so work parties and feed rota. 

Amazingly cheap by the time you have bought the birds and fed them

Do you pay beaters ?

Do you guys own the land ?

Does the farmer subsidise it a bid with cheap wheat and  or cover crops ?