Ticks! just a reminder

bluesj

I've recently been walking my four dogs on the marshes of the Blackwater estuary (Essex) and they are picking up ticks left, right and centre! They hunt the margins where the water birds have been and the spaniel particularly is picking up loads. I have never seen as many about as this year in the 50 odd years I've had dogs. I think it's to do with the massive bird population (Brent Geese have been about in huge numbers) on the reserves. I have not yet had one tick on the them when walking the river Crouch, where there are far fewer birds. I carefully go over each dog afterwards and pick them off, had a couple attached to the Spaniel but the rest have just been hanging onto the hair. Only had one attached to me so far!!!

It's been a mild winter yet again and the sun has been out all week, which means the horrible little things will be out looking for warm bodies to feed off.

I was melting when I got back to my car last week, but I'll be staying wrapped up,  cover trousers and wellies.