Jump to content

Divers Bottle when to refill


Agriv8
 Share

Recommended Posts

Didn’t know quite where to put this so edged on you helpful lot.

Previously my bsa ultra running would do 2 - 10 shot mags at full power while waging war on the rats down the farm.

I seem to be struggling to get a single 10 shot mag at full power before I can hear the change in barrel note and pellets don’t seem to have the stopping power.

photo of gauge at last ‘Top Up’ suspect the bottle is now less than the  185 that the gun is set at ( sub 12 )

should point out still very green with these pcp’s

 

thanks Agriv8

38C7E3FC-B445-4D88-AA6A-A7805D23DEDB.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If that's the gauge on your bottle and the pressure is only say 160, then you can't fill you gun above that pressure so yes you need a refill. 

Also why are you only filling the gun to 185? Is that its sweet spot or is it stamped on the cylinder 185?

You should be getting more than two mags before you need to top up.

@Ultrastu

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks mice 185 is written on gun and be-lived to be sweet spot - I  only on short range 20-25 yard rats but there are a few tree rat feeds that I have put out and are being used so was hoping to have a go ! ( with .410 as backup )

ultrastu may be along as he was original owner of the particular bsa.

thinking of getting a smaller bottle or pump as the one I have in the van for down the farm is a big one and local air gun shop won’t do em as they are too heavy !

will see about getting it tested and refilled !

thanks 

Agriv8 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

If that's the gauge on your bottle and the pressure is only say 160, then you can't fill you gun above that pressure so yes you need a refill. 

Also why are you only filling the gun to 185? Is that its sweet spot or is it stamped on the cylinder 185?

You should be getting more than two mags before you need to top up.

@Ultrastu

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey agriv8 .and mice .

I wrote 185 bar on the gun as this would be at the beginning of the sweet spot for about 35 shots (if I remember right .) You can fill up to 200 bar if you want and get even more but the power will be down at first climbing as the pressure decreases to around 150 bar then dropping again .should still be plenty for close range rats .

I seem to remember filling to 200 bar and getting 50 shots  on rats .

Thing is with pcps .you always get more shots from the top half of the charge than you do from the bottom half .so say your gun works from 200 bar down to 100 bar for 50 shots .

You would get 30 from 200 to 150 bar .and the last 20 shots from 150 to 100 bar .

Basically as mice says  your bottle is empty. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I take my AA S200 to 195 and it will happily do two ten shot mags and yes I can tell when it needs a top up but I often top up anyway before an outing.

I'm certainly no expert on this but if the tank is not reaching the pressure after a few seconds then it needs topping up.  A bit further north than where you met me for the flip top  there is an air rifle range, sven days a wek open 9am . I get mine topped up there for a fiver  when I am over that way.  On the A46 north of Bassets Pole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another thought .

Just check that the pellet probe oring isnt leaking   air when you fire .(they can get damaged ) this will also reduce shot count  . Put a pellet In and a small bit of tissue paper over the magazine and fire if it blows off then it needs swapping out  .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Another thought .

Just check that the pellet probe oring isnt leaking   air when you fire .(they can get damaged ) this will also reduce shot count  . Put a pellet In and a small bit of tissue paper over the magazine and fire if it blows off then it needs swapping out  .

Hi ultrastu popped a new o ring on the probe and given it a bit of a strip clean ( some really good vids on the tube ) 

it’s maybe me - at the moment the first 10 at 25 yards are following each other home of the rifle rest ( jsb haydees ) I was taking mice with head shots ( most of the time ) as practice ! 10 to 20 yards in field round feeding troughs 

after that the barrel note changes and pellets seem not to have the same knock down power ! Or drop 

problem is even tough there rats I don’t like having them suffer unduly !

the bottle was giving 185 when I bought it second hand ( possibly a touch more ) it’s got through at least 3 tins of 500 with practice a checking zero at different distances.

I will have an ask about where to send it for service and refill.

I want a bash at the tree rats before too much leaf cover !thanks Agriv8 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

after that the barrel note changes and pellets seem not to have the same knock down power ! Or drop

Easiest thing to do if you don't have a chrono is shoot a few mags at paper, if there is a noticeable drop on your point of impact then you have a power drop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello, I don't see the need to keep topping up a PCP with a air cylinder as wasted air each time you let off pressure, yes with a pump ok, but some of my previous rifles have had bottles,  some tubes, I used a pump on the AA 410, to fill  max 190 bar and shot down to 50 bar even lower to get the maximum shot count, what size is your cylinder ?? and is it still in test, ?? local dive shop should get it tested, where are you in UK ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I don't see the need to keep topping up a PCP with a air cylinder as wasted air each time you let off pressure, yes with a pump ok, but some of my previous rifles have had bottles,  some tubes, I used a pump on the AA 410, to fill  max 190 bar and shot down to 50 bar even lower to get the maximum shot count, what size is your cylinder ?? and is it still in test, ?? local dive shop should get it tested, where are you in UK ? 

Yes get your point  it’s habit as I know if it’s topped up every second mag I know it shouldn’t drop off .

to answer your questions the is no on gun gauge so thats another reason I refill every second mag.

yes I have seen pellet drop while zeroed the ir scope as was in the garden so wasn’t going back to the van to reload .

I am location is near Skipton Yorkshire/ Lancashire boarder dive shop in Bradford shut down AFAIK. 
 

regards Agriv8 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hah!! Apologies, got the wrong man.  Your no where near where I suggested.  It's rude to mock the elderly.  The last date of pressure testing should be on the bottle. You can't get it filled unless in date.  I've never been lucky enough to run  through more than two ten shot mags so can't help further but as said by others you should be getting more killing shots per fill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I don't see the need to keep topping up a PCP with a air cylinder as wasted air each time you let off pressure, yes with a pump ok, but some of my previous rifles have had bottles,  some tubes, I used a pump on the AA 410, to fill  max 190 bar and shot down to 50 bar even lower to get the maximum shot count, what size is your cylinder ?? and is it still in test, ?? local dive shop should get it tested, where are you in UK ? 

Here's one www.scubaleeds.co.uk, they do PCP cylinders to 👍👍

Edited by oldypigeonpopper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just had that come back from a mate into his diving ( but he works in Leeds ) 

but 20 mins from work 40 from home that’s a result to pigeon popper

think I need to get it it tested and filled and take from there - will double check if local gun shop Skipton is still refusing to test and fill  BIG bottles !

Thanks 

Agriv8 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Hah!! Apologies, got the wrong man.  Your no where near where I suggested.  It's rude to mock the elderly.  The last date of pressure testing should be on the bottle. You can't get it filled unless in date.  I've never been lucky enough to run  through more than two ten shot mags so can't help further but as said by others you should be getting more killing shots per fill.

Walker 570 - as an old Gun once said never mock those older and possibly wiser,  before you know it you’ll have walked a mile in my shoes ( as soon as I have remembered where I have left them ) !

Agriv8

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Velocette said:

I use these people, at Heckmondwyke near Leeds for my bottle filling and testing.

Specialist Watersports Equipment | Robin Hood Watersports (roho.co.uk)

Very friendly and helpful. I need to take a bottle for test soon so if you want a ride out with yours for filling , get in touch.

Ah thanks Velocette know that place just down from the devils flatpack shop ( never to be visited on a weekend) IKEA.
 

some to go at there chaps

 

thanks Muchly 

Agriv8

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just checked in with my RFD  - he has got a spare small filled bottle that I can borrow while mines away so can check the bsa with that.

had a look at stirrup pump but cheapies on Amazon get mixed reviews  if I can pay a little more and be lazy and get a smaller bottle.

will keep you helpful lot posted

Agriv8

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do Robin Hood do inhouse testing?

i know a lot around that area used to use my mate at Scubaworkshop, but he's retired now. A lot sub it out to CTS at Speke.

they've just done 7 of mine for me £122 all in and that INCLUDED 2 being shot blasted

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I couldn't swear to that, I've only been into the re-filling room and seen the huge water tanks that they are submerged in when filling. They do do a long slow fill to avoid over-heating and subsequent loss of pressure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/03/2022 at 10:24, Agriv8 said:

Just checked in with my RFD  - he has got a spare small filled bottle that I can borrow while mines away so can check the bsa with that.

had a look at stirrup pump but cheapies on Amazon get mixed reviews  if I can pay a little more and be lazy and get a smaller bottle.

will keep you helpful lot posted

Agriv8

Hello, your not being lazy getting a air cylinder  🤔😁

Edited by oldypigeonpopper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...