Bank accounts.

B B

My lad is 18 and going into full time education at Newcastle UNi latter this year. he has started putting his financing into place, he will get a bursary but he has no bank account in his own name.

He has no passport and not even a provisional driving license, mostly down to him not having any money for car or bike and the long winded DVLA they dut down to covid 19. he actually applied for a driving license, but after many months waiting they refunded him after they took four weeks to open his letter and claimed "His application was too late".

We need to move quickly if we go for a passport due to the timescale, Or is there an alternative by which way he can open a bank account of his own without the license or passport. 

If any of you can offer advice on this please, i would be very grateful.

I heard some people talking about an online bank where you could open an account with basic ID. 

Monzo apparently. they do require some form of photographic ID and then a selfie video to compare apparently. 

if he genuinely has no photo ID then it will be a trip into branch with the old birth certificate and NI number I’m afraid 

Edited by ph5172

Haven't opened a bank account for years, so don't know if this would count. Would he yet have some sort of student uni card that he could use ?

It must go in his favour that he is heading in a responsible way, and taking life seriously and wanting to do things correctly.

I wish him all the best.

Thanks for the Help everyone, he seems happy with the the Monzo account and the app based banking he seems pleased with .  he did a youtub e search and found  vids on setting up the account, and a review by a bloke goes under the title Andy clever cash, He did a review on monzo and others on varrious banks. I think he is clear now what he needs to do. Thank you very much as ever  god old PW gets an answer to a problem. thank You.

We have a few bank accounts, but wanted another to put money aside for the grandkids. My wife and I went to the Trustees Bank and were treated to a lecture on just how hard it was to open a bank account. After about 5 minutes, I grew weary and explained just how easy it was for fraudsters to open an account. 500 at one address was the record, that I was aware of, at that time.

Suitably chastened, the man took a copy of my driving licence. I did try telling him that he could only retain it until the account was opened and then had to destroy it. He insisted that they always did this. I said I would be receiving compensation for this breach of the Data Protection Act, but he assured me he was correct. I received the grovelling apology a couple of days later.

If you are genuine, you are made to jump through hoops. If you are a fraudster - roll out the red carpet.

What a performance I had opening an account for my son!! We didn’t have the “full” copy of his birth certificate and had to send off for that before they would play ball. 

Its with a bank I’ve have two accounts in and they know me!!! 

I do wonder how channel crossers with no documents whatsoever manage? They must get so frustrated!!! 

My step daughter, health care professional with good credit history and no debts and my wife , NHS pensioner with huge assets wanted to open a joint account to pay the bills on a new property we had bought cash

Turned down about three or four times. Halifax, santander not interested in opening a new account