Red wine question ?.

samboy

Hi gang.

After a bottle of red wine is opened providing you put the top back on how long will the wine last

before it goes off ?.

Thanks all.

2 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

After a bottle of red wine is opened providing you put the top back on how long will the wine last

before it goes off ?.

Thanks all.

Ill drink it after a week no problem, 2 weeks could be stretching it, it gets a bit sour after too much air exposure.

Use it to cook with , it it goes too tart.

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

I know that reds aren’t commonly refrigerated. However some people prolong a red wine’s shelf life once opened by keeping it in the fridge - bringing it back up to room temp’ before drinking. 

While holidaying in the Bordeaux region a waitress recommended a chilled red to go with  a spagetti bolognaise, the wine was amazing and so was the bolognaise, in the summer i like to have a chilled glass or two of red.

The problem is oxydisation which apparently doesn't occur if you put the original cork halfway back in and stand the bottle upright in cold water up to the level of the middle of the label under a zinc counter top. Or at least it seems to work thus in France as I observed whilst working there for the last twenty years or so from 1999 to 2019.

1 hour ago, welsh1 said:

While holidaying in the Bordeaux region a waitress recommended a chilled red to go with  a spagetti bolognaise, the wine was amazing and so was the bolognaise, in the summer i like to have a chilled glass or two of red.

Edited by enfieldspares

Don’t know if anybody knows this .I get the odd bottle of red from Aldi they do have some good wine but for me it’s pot luck .Talking to my oldest daughter She’s had a very interesting life she wanted to find out about wine so she got a job at Hobins for 6 month .She said if the bottles got a dimple in the bottom it’s Usually a good wine . So far she was right .

There is no definitive answer.  Many current day 'everyday priced' have additional sulfites to help prevent oxidation (all wines have some sulfites naturally) and last quite well.  If you find they do go off there are various 'gadgets' such as vacuvin at the fairly sensible price range to Coravin and similar which are quite expensive and require argon or CO2 cartridges (expensive)....... and many others as well.

By contrast older wines can have a very short open period before they noticeably deteriorate.  I think this is because the natural preservatives have declined.  For example, wines of 10 years plus of bottle age can loose their 'freshness' very soon (a few hours) after opening.  In general, it is only the high end reds and (to a lesser extent whites) that 'improve' with bottle age.

10 minutes ago, ditchman said:

when i get me cheap /budget wine....i take the top of and shake it vigorously emptying at the same time into a vase....then i pour it back into the bottle and then drink it.....generally a good improvment

try it

I will try that , do you take the flowers out first or leave them in vase while the contents are poured in ? :hmm: