Gas and Electric Energy supply Cap Up from April 1st and its not a joke !!

oldypigeonpopper

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

The original smart meter were not so smart as they are unable to control appliances. Those in the second roll out are far better. I have heard that with the older style meter that they wear in your favour with age. I wonder if that true with the latest stuff?

Either way when prices are moving significantly its better to be in control of your own data rather than have it the meter read directly. 

How do you think that would make any difference?

As prices are moving upwards I am happy to pay as I use it.

You still have to pay for what you use!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last night they were interviewing old gulls about energy costs...one of the old girls said she was at her whits end as she was now paying £278.00/mth energy bills

what the hell is she using to heat her home.........that sounds very very excessive

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

last night they were interviewing old gulls about energy costs...one of the old girls said she was at her whits end as she was now paying £278.00/mth energy bills

what the hell is she using to heat her home.........that sounds very very excessive

But that is below average!

13:25 Hrs and I have spent £1:88 so far today!

Current 'cap' prices are;

• Gas = £0.07 per KWh
  • Electricity = £0.28 per KWh (on peak)

Source https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/average-cost-electricity-kwh-uk

So if you are on electricity - that is a little under 1000 KWh or 33 KWh per day.  I would say that for electric heating that may be par for the course. 

In the current weather I used 85 KWh yesterday in 24 hours (75 KWh gas and 10 KWh electricity) but it is a large house, only moderately insulated (old house) and most people would find it 'cool'.

Edit - my 85 KWh as above costs £4.71 inc standing charges of £0.44 on my current tariffs

Edited by JohnfromUK

3 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

As long as they don’t have to drive there!!

Yes, best get the bicycles out. 

Perhaps the times of people being sat in their houses in mid winter in a t-shirt and shorts, with the heating up to max, are coming to an end? 🤷‍♂️

Martin Lewis reckons it’s time to stop heating the house, and heat the person … wonder if he means people need to put a good jumper and pair of socks on like they used to before every house had central heating. 

Whilst I can see some people will struggle, I am out for a drink with my wife today before working these evening. 

There’s plenty of people put splashing the cash on alcohol and expensive food. 

5 hours ago, ditchman said:

You do have to wonder what is being used if that is what they have to pay and get nothing back. I worked out we pay around 2.79 a day.. 

To be honest I think to be able to be warm, heat your water, clean clothes, cook etc and it cost you 2 to 5 pound a day it's not to bad. But then if it gets worse it's all down to cutting back on the luxury, no sky subscription for example.

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

That’s pretty much what they’re estimating us to be at. We’ve moved in fairly recently so unsure how accurate that estimate will be.

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

£10 quid a day...bit expensive

Bargain that! 
We have an ASHP which is on continuously, obviously it cycles itself to maintain the needed/commanded flow temps.

House is always at a constant 20 degrees, 24hrs a day. Her ladyship likes it that way and so that’s how it is. 

It was costing a lot more than a tenner but made some adjustments and all is good, but still expensive. 
We do however, get almost £1300 back from the governments RHI 

20 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Bargain that! 
We have an ASHP which is on continuously, obviously it cycles itself to maintain the needed/commanded flow temps.

House is always at a constant 20 degrees, 24hrs a day. Her ladyship likes it that way and so that’s how it is. 

It was costing a lot more than a tenner but made some adjustments and all is good, but still expensive. 

Well as long as your CoP is above 2.5 which nests almost impossible for it not to be in this country, should be more like 4 most of the time then you will be spending a lot less even without the grant.

On 02/04/2022 at 19:41, Jaymo said:

Bargain that! 

what is the  Governments RHI please ?

11 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Renewable Heat Incentive

Which closed to new applicants on the 31st of March this year. It has however, been replaced with a grant system I believe ( I may be wrong of course as having obtained the RHI, we no longer keep up with what’s available) 

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

Which closed to new applicants on the 31st of March this year. It has however, been replaced with a grant system I believe ( I may be wrong of course as having obtained the RHI, we no longer keep up with what’s available) 

thanks

On 02/04/2022 at 20:23, mossy835 said:

my electric is £40 a month, my gas is £32 a month.

Crikey thats good. Here electric was about £75 but now £100 (.28p kwh) a month and oil was £65 but now £89 (89p a litre) a month. Logs I have my own supply but if I bought them that's a further £20 a month. House is super insulated led lighting throughout.

When I moved into the house, before it was rebuilt, it was heated on electric powered central heating, the house was uninsulated. At that point electric alone was £15+ a day in winter. 

Edited by oowee

7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

got another bill (lecky) in today.....paid it......the cost of lecky has now gone from last month...£1.20/day........has gone to £1.44p/day......

That's very cheap.  I'm quite frugal with electricity (though I do use it for cooking and have fridge/freezer and separate fridge and freezer) and use 10 KWh per day, which even on my older fixed tariff is £1.83 plus £0.235 standing charge, so a touch over £2 a day.

Edited by JohnfromUK