British military spending

ditchman

Well I took OC Ops at RAF Waddington, a Wing Commander over a 40 foot drop.

Afterwards he stated that whenever we were active, he would never hold us up, so it was worth letting him have a go.

We went over hatch down with seatbelts tightened.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Seatbelt comment.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 01/04/2022 at 12:45, ditchman said:

looking at what has been happening in Ukraine.......particulary the destruction of russian tanks and APC's.........why do the British insist on purchasing and developing the Challanger tanks..........

if i were to rejoin the army the last regiment i would join is the tank regiment...........ok you are sitting in a nice £5million quid metal box..................but the problem is "out there"...is some lad walking about with a fag hangin' out of his/her mouth...totting a hand held throw-a-way rocket launcher ...that will tear your little motorised gun box apart

when will the military realise that...."tank is king"...is no longer the case

the future is the foot soldier .........a very well equiped foot soldier........or self guiding big field gun munitions

On 01/04/2022 at 16:34, Raja Clavata said:

There's no need to put personnel in tanks, the way forward is remote control tanks, then autonomous ones.

Could we be see this in future??

This clip below has been mocked up FX effects

This clip is the real thing from Boston Dynamics. Amazing!

Not all tanks are equal in protection and survivability the Russian tanks have a auto loader with the ammo stored in a magazine / carousel under the crew that's why you see so many with the turrets blown off, while most Western tanks have the ammo stored in the turret with blow off panels in case they are hit. The Armor protection is also better on Western tanks, they had shoulder launched anti tank rockets etc that could take out any tank during WW2 but the tank was still king. 

The Iragi irregulars fired the weaponray at the Challenger 2 from various directions. It was hit directly by fourteen rocket propelled grenades at close range, plus a MILAN anti-tank missile.
Inside the Challenger 2, the British crew survived until the tank was recovered for repairs by relieving British forces who drove the Iraqi irregulars off. The worst damage was to the tank's sighting system. 

Edited by ordnance

There is  so much going on behind-the-scenes such as global intelligence gathering,  intelligence sharing ect that is helping the Ukrainians.  Things like the whereabouts of top Russian staff officers that have been killed.  I bet that the resupply of Russian ground forces has been sabotaged by a tanker load of fuel has been replaced by a lorry load of boots etc.   From history we know how the Germans were fed a load of false information about allied plans and what we were doing and that was 80 years ago.  After watching videos about the effectiveness of the modern anti armour/ material man portable weapons like  the British/Swedish NLAW.. NONE OF THE RUSSIAN TANKS.  Are more than tin coffins..  the other things are the modern suicide drones that are so small but deadly.

On 02/04/2022 at 17:49, 7daysinaweek said:

Could we be see this in future??

This clip below has been mocked up FX effects

This clip is the real thing from Boston Dynamics. Amazing!

There's quite a kick back on the use of lethal autonomous weapons but lower intelligence forms already exist and have been deployed - such as swarms of lethal drones. There's a ton of stuff about it, and the ethics of it all, online.

Interestingly, or not depending on perspective, Boston Dynamics has been acquired by Hyundai Motor Corporation.

29 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

There's quite a kick back on the use of lethal autonomous weapons but lower intelligence forms already exist and have been deployed - such as swarms of lethal drones. There's a ton of stuff about it, and the ethics of it all, online.

Interestingly, or not depending on perspective, Boston Dynamics has been acquired by Hyundai Motor Corporation.

I see the reason for that, for fear of a 'bad actor'. Since the development and rise of AI, surely there would be some forms of technolgy which which I surmise would be military prohibited under ethical and  moral principle development for fear of developing a unfair lethal military technology.

I have followed Boston Dynamics for many years on youtube just for the enjoyment of watching. I wonder if Hyundai acquired 100% rights to all of the technology form Boston Dynamics. Surely they will be using  that tech in driverless/unmanned commercial and retail sectors, could a military application of that tech be a lucrative hedge against inflation in future years.

Will we see the rise of ED 209! :lol:

All rhetorical to an extent of course.

atb and hope you keeping well.

7diaw

1 hour ago, 7daysinaweek said:

I see the reason for that, for fear of a 'bad actor'. Since the development and rise of AI, surely there would be some forms of technolgy which which I surmise would be military prohibited under ethical and  moral principle development for fear of developing a unfair lethal military technology.

I have followed Boston Dynamics for many years on youtube just for the enjoyment of watching. I wonder if Hyundai acquired 100% rights to all of the technology form Boston Dynamics. Surely they will be using  that tech in driverless/unmanned commercial and retail sectors, could a military application of that tech be a lucrative hedge against inflation in future years.

7diaw

the thing is with all these robots ....is power........when that is overcome.......then ............the mind boggles

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

the thing is with all these robots ....is power........when that is overcome.......then ............the mind boggles

I agree Ditchy!

Wonder what energy packs will be like in 10 years?, could you imagine how long a thing like that could run?

In the early 80's I used a monster lead acid battery for all of my lamping, it used to fizzle when it was fully charged and on replacing the yellow resevoir plugs i would get the acid on my fingers, used to tingle if you touched yer lips. I initialy used a rucksack when I started and it dropped to bits within a short time from the corrosive acid and also ate through my camo jacket. I mocked up plastic detergent container, top cut off with a seatbelt bolted on for a shoulder carrier. Was a lot easier to carry, it also saved my clothes and skin.The lamp was a old 70's car spoltlight with a flick up and down metal switch and you could not cover more than about 60 yards with it but it got the job done. Just had to be better with my field craft.

Ahh those were the days!

I now look at my led torch lamp which is the size of a small can and runs off a rechargable battery a little bigger than an AA.

Amazing!

Lithium shares anyone???

Ahh those were the days! I c

57 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

I agree Ditchy!

Wonder what energy packs will be like in 10 years?, could you imagine how long a thing like that could run?

In the early 80's I used a monster lead acid battery for all of my lamping, it used to fizzle when it was fully charged and on replacing the yellow resevoir plugs i would get the acid on my fingers, used to tingle if you touched yer lips. I initialy used a rucksack when I started and it dropped to bits within a short time from the corrosive acid and also ate through my camo jacket. I mocked up plastic detergent container, top cut off with a seatbelt bolted on for a shoulder carrier. Was a lot easier to carry, it also saved my clothes and skin.The lamp was a old 70's car spoltlight with a flick up and down metal switch and you could not cover more than about 60 yards with it but it got the job done. Just had to be better with my field craft.

Ahh those were the days!

I now look at my led torch lamp which is the size of a small can and runs off a rechargable battery a little bigger than an AA.

Amazing!

Lithium shares anyone???

watch cornwall..........they are just finishing prospecting for lithium down there.....very very encouraging.............just dont get caught out like in the late 60's with RTZ persidon...:lol:

personally i dont think the future is in heavy metals..........i think a totally different way of generating /harvesting electricity will come along...more along the line of electron transfer...or microwave havesting.......am i talking sperical objects ?  maybe

Edited by ditchman

I initialy used a rucksack when I started and it dropped to bits within a short time from the corrosive acid and also ate through my camo jacket.

in the 70's there was a big strike on and my Dad got a job delivering batteries to the old blue mobility cars if anyone remembers them?? It was all over the country and we went - and we were sleeping in the van - wasn't long before all our clothes fell apart. God knows what it done for our health!!

Flash forward to the early 80's - packing up from a caravan holiday (Bashley Caravan Park near New Milton - strange what you remember) and I carried out a batter to put in the car - didn't think anything of the water that dripped out of it - until my jeans fell apart in the clubhouse that night!!!

I agree Ditchy!

Ahh those were the days!

Amazing!

Lithium shares anyone???

That takes me back a few years 🙂.

My mate used to carry a large car battery , in a mop bucket 🙂.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

watch cornwall..........they are just finishing prospecting for lithium down there.....very very encouraging.............just dont get caught out like in the late 60's with RTZ persidon...:lol:

personally i dont think the future is in heavy metals..........i think a totally different way of generating /harvesting electricity will come along...more along the line of electron transfer...or microwave havesting.......am i talking sperical objects ?  maybe

Rio Tinto?? or am I off the mark!

Just looked up cornish metals share price and it appears to have ticked up well in the last 12 months. From what I can gather they have a partnership with Cornish Lithium LTD and jointly doing the exploration with backing from VC. There will have been plenty of deep pockets on offer for that backing I am sure.

Spherical objects say you! 

Are we talking electrons??

I took mrs7days on the Sellafield nuclear plant tour in the early nineties for one of our first dates, me being the romantic and all that. :lol: I can still recall being stood on the gantries above the big pools with the radioctive rods below clear to see, fascinating.... with hindsight was probably not the best thing, hopefully didn't tranfer our own electrons turning DNA into spagehtti.  Been exposed to a few fair millisciverts in my time.

Too late now! 🤔

Radiation at every turn, even from my morning shredded wheat and that is meant to be good for you. 

59 minutes ago, discobob said:

in the 70's there was a big strike on and my Dad got a job delivering batteries to the old blue mobility cars if anyone remembers them?? It was all over the country and we went - and we were sleeping in the van - wasn't long before all our clothes fell apart. God knows what it done for our health!!

Flash forward to the early 80's - packing up from a caravan holiday (Bashley Caravan Park near New Milton - strange what you remember) and I carried out a batter to put in the car - didn't think anything of the water that dripped out of it - until my jeans fell apart in the clubhouse that night!!!

Ahh that made me laugh! :lol:

44 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

That takes me back a few years 🙂.

My mate used to carry a large car battery , in a mop bucket 🙂.

Bloomin Heck Mel, that must have been some weight, how far did he get? :lol:

1 minute ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Bloomin Heck Mel, that must have been some weight, how far did he get? :lol:

He's a right big lump . he's been a competitive body builder since he was old enough to get in the gym.

He'd lamp on his own , with the battery in a bucket , a lamp as big as a dustbin lid , the rifle , and thirty rabbits on his back. We went foxing one night , and I carried the battery . I had to stop and change hands every 50 yards 😄.

22 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

7diaw

Of course, it can only be prohibited if everyone agrees to it, just look at the complexities of nuclear non-proliferation treaties (and where it has left the Ukraine!).

Given what is in the public domain e.g. Boston Dynamics - just imagine what the likes of DARPA already have up their sleeve.

I find the whole thing around ethical AI fascinating, it can seem scary but I think, for now at least, we should be more concerned about the rise of biological stupidity than the rise of artificial intelligence 😉

Wishing you and yours all the best too!

21 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Of course, it can only be prohibited if everyone agrees to it, just look at the complexities of nuclear non-proliferation treaties (and where it has left the Ukraine!).

Given what is in the public domain e.g. Boston Dynamics - just imagine what the likes of DARPA already have up their sleeve.

I find the whole thing around ethical AI fascinating, it can seem scary but I think, for now at least, we should be more concerned about the rise of biological stupidity than the rise of artificial intelligence 😉

Wishing you and yours all the best too!

Very true, very  true!

Frightening for sure the capabilities of lethal nerve agents, a lot of them extensive half lives, difficult to detect. Plenty of nasty bugs kept labs around the world.

Your are probably right, more of a risk however low with a chemical or a germ than than ED 209! 

atb

4 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Very true, very  true!

Frightening for sure the capabilities of lethal nerve agents, a lot of them extensive half lives, difficult to detect. Plenty of nasty bugs kept labs around the world.

Your are probably right, more of a risk however low with a chemical or a germ than than ED 209! 

atb

I was actually referring to human (biological) stupidity 🙂 

Your looking at Russian tanks.  In Iraq the Abrams tank would take round after round of shoulder fired weapons and keep rolling.  In Iraq 9 Abraham were destroyed, 7 by American AirPower friendly fire and 2 broke down and was demolished by their own tank crew.  The point is the tank were not destroyed by enemy fire and the crews can home.  America armor division with Abraham’s or a German Leopard division   would roll straight across the Ukrainian. 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

On 06/04/2022 at 04:43, NoBodyImportant said:

Your looking at Russian tanks.  In Iraq the Abrams tank would take round after round of shoulder fired weapons and keep rolling.  In Iraq 9 Abraham were destroyed, 7 by American AirPower friendly fire and 2 broke down and was demolished by their own tank crew.  The point is the tank were not destroyed by enemy fire and the crews can home.  America armor division with Abraham’s or a German Leopard division   would roll straight across the Ukrainian. 

The Iraqi's weren't using NLAWs....