Gun cleaning

Marka11

28 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just enough to dab a little behind your ears on a special date!   :w00t:

I think with what is left, it might have to be one ear!  Apparently it was banned by the EU because it contained phenol, but I have not managed to fact check that.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

If heavily fouled push a ball of newspaper through. Then a scrub until any leading and remaining fouling is gone with a brass Payne-Gallwey type brush. The use a piece of clean "fourbytwo" to apply a light coating of oil. Finally check again within the next few days to see if the guns has sweated anything out of the metal. Which isn't what it actually does but you'll likeley know what I mean I hope?

Agree all, but particularly the paper first. I bit heavy handed and it can get stuck so to avoid this I use 'x' number of toilet roll sheets. Try it once and you can immediately see how it will extend the life of your cleaning kit.

What folk get quite surprised at regarding using newspaper is that reputedly Rolls-Royce when they began to make car bodies as well as the chassis and engine used to use newspaper for the final sanding down of their paint coats. Or so it was once said. Certainly I've used Brasso dampened newspaper more than once on car paintwork.

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

the old original stuff i used to mix with a little water for scrubbing out

Me too! 'Acquoil' I think it was described as in the instructions in my Parker Hale cleaning kit. The resulting liquid turned white I think.

I tried to describe it to someone recently who thought I was nuts, so thank you.

22 minutes ago, Townie said:

Me too! 'Acquoil' I think it was described as in the instructions in my Parker Hale cleaning kit. The resulting liquid turned white I think.

I tried to describe it to someone recently who thought I was nuts, so thank you.

used to make a load up (looked like milk)...then i would be stored in a kilner jar...and i would dip the wire brush (bronze) in it and wet scrub the bores out...then push thro jags and oil........

smell was devine.........my other favourite smell was opening a new box of paper cased eley grand prix....aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

used to make a load up (looked like milk)...then i would be stored in a kilner jar...and i would dip the wire brush (bronze) in it and wet scrub the bores out...then push thro jags and oil........

smell was devine.........my other favourite smell was opening a new box of paper cased eley grand prix....aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ha ha yes. Kept mine in a jam jar. And, not something I admit freely, but I used to take paper cartridges out of the box and sniff them. Youngsters don't know what they're missing.

39 minutes ago, Townie said:

Anyone old enough to have worked in engineering in the ‘60’s will remember the “soluble oil” used for coolant whilst machining. That turned white when diluted with water.

edit: but I don’t remember it smelling as nice as Young’s .303.

Edited by London Best

47 minutes ago, Townie said:

Ha ha yes. Kept mine in a jam jar. And, not something I admit freely, but I used to take paper cartridges out of the box and sniff them. Youngsters don't know what they're missing.

I shot at a charity clay shoot pre-Covid and a friend was using up some old paper case cart’s. We both shot a few and the freshly fired smell was great. It took me back to my childhood. Lovely and smooth to shoot and broke clays pretty well…..Hull Three Crowns I believe. 

I always preferred A J Parkers "A C Oil" a much superior product to Young's. Edna Parker was an odd old coot at times but she was right on two things. That her father's A C Oil was a better product and her red covered rifle cleaning rifles were also. Her's were dipped so the red "plastic" didn't come off. Parker Hale's yellow covered prodcut wasn't. I remember her remarking how the firing point at Century Range looked like a field of daffodils with all the stripped yellow plastic from Parker Hale's rods!

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Still available.

Thanks for that. Just looked at the Hull website and they are indeed available - they’ve been selling those for 70 years apparently. If I see any for sale I’m going to treat myself to a box - just for the fun of using them. 

2 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Thanks for that. Just looked at the Hull website and they are indeed available - they’ve been selling those for 70 years apparently. If I see any for sale I’m going to treat myself to a box - just for the fun of using them. 

I might be wrong, but I think many of the 'bespoke' cartridges with the names of high end gunmakers on are in fact Three Crowns 'badged'.  Certainly some year ago when they were still in B'ham and family owned, William Powell cartridges were made by Hull.

start of last season i was looking for somthing to protect blued steel and wood on the foreshore and somone on here recomended renaissance wax. aparently its used on just about everything at the british museum.

anyway i ended up getting a dedicated foreshore gun in the end but while i was using my good gun  it apsolutly did a better job than all the gun care products i tried. the stuff is my new exteriour protection go too. dries clear and brings wood and metal up a treat. and seems to help with fingerprints too.  i use napier on an old rag and a bore snake after every outing but guns get a once over in this wax and a strip and barrel scrub every 10-12 outings and it looks better than when i got it i think.

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

looks like you dumped your smith&wesson hangrip for a packmeyer..........

🙂Ha! Not quite. I dumped them for wooden custom made ( can’t recall the company now….Hogues?  🤷‍♂️) finger grooved combat grips for PP1/2 and Practical. I had Pachmeyers on my 1911A1, and when all my handguns were confiscated I stripped everything from my pistols and revolvers that I could think of, such as grips, sights and magazines.
These are about the only things I have left now from my handgun days, apart from a few boxes of cases, Price Western gun belt ( boy I must have been slim! ) which I can’t fasten round my waist now (😫) and odds and ends. 

Edited by Scully

16 hours ago, ditchman said:

Off topic, I know, but the smell that takes me back to my yoof is Castrol 'R' racing oil.................devine.

1 hour ago, Robden said:

Off topic, I know, but the smell that takes me back to my yoof is Castrol 'R' racing oil.................devine.

My mate used to use that in his Gold star. He bought it in 1964 for £125 and sold it last year for £20.000.

2 hours ago, samboy said:

My mate used to use that in his Gold star. He bought it in 1964 for £125 and sold it last year for £20.000.

we used to shove stickers on the back of the car.........casrol R..,,STP.....and slick 50....boy that stuff used to stink when you put it in the tank:lol: