Gun cleaning

Marka11

4 hours ago, Robden said:

Off topic, I know, but the smell that takes me back to my yoof is Castrol 'R' racing oil.................devine.

For those of us who couldn't quite afford Castrol R , a dash of "Twirl" cooking oil in the tank of my BSA Road Rocket smelt just as good, as well as covering the carb with a sticky gummy film !!  Just like the real stuff.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 01/04/2022 at 20:59, Scully said:

I know what you mean; smells bring back so many memories. 👍

I'm sure my Dad used Youngs it a smell I'll never forget. I purchased a tin of youngs oil a year or so ago but it did not smell the same i will try the 303.

Just now, JDsniper said:

I'm sure my Dad used Youngs it a smell I'll never forget. I purchased a tin of youngs oil a year or so ago but it did not smell the same i will try the 303.

No good buying now.  They changed the old formula a while back (not sure when, but many years ago) and it doesn't have the magic smell at all now.

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

No good buying now.  They changed the old formula a while back (not sure when, but many years ago) and it doesn't have the magic smell at all now.

That a shame maybe I may find I tin one day cheers for the heads up 

Magic Bore and Legia for me. Gets the OU clean in minutes. The SA gets the same then some engine oil to lube as recommended by the manufacturer. Though I did use just Legia before the last time we went out and cycled about 100 carts no problem and seemed a bit cleaner afterwards

If you google `Young`s 303 smell` you will see a quote from another forum as follows -:

"There is no scent finer from that given off by PH Youngs 303 drizzled over 1 oz of smouldering Old S-H-A-G tobacco.

If in doubt, ask John Forsey of Gentry`s gun shop"

However, this was posted on 1st. April 2021 and probably originally written when John Forsey`s shop was Gentry`s. He always did and I`m sure has still got a good sense of humour. 

The post has a thumbs up by our very own Alan123shooting.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy