It ALL Started 40 Years Ago!

TIGHTCHOKE

Yes and I read were a fair few teenagers don't even know about it.  Couldn't be done they said ..... rubbish said Maggie whacking the closest with her handbag, get it sorted.

Yes, mistakes where made but as my old Chief Supt once said to me, you can't make mistakes if your sitting on your ~~~~ doing nothing.

i was on colour service and just off to southern sudan ..as i went out the door the postman came with "a letter"......please report to the gaurdroom now...........

told the mrs to ring the gaurdroom tomorrow morning when i was in kenya waiting for my flight up country.............she said she had phoned and they wanted me to report when i got back........i didnt come back for 6 mths ..**** that .......i had already done my bit

Has anyone watched the "Untold Story" documentary on C4 yet? I thought it was interesting but it lacked a bit of substance, instead opting for theatrical drama.  There was a LOT of bias in my opinion too - you can tell they don't like Maggie!  They also used a bit of creative licence in places which would get past the casual observer but not anyone who knows a little bit about it. Typical channel 4.

There's a guy interviewed who was a machine gunner on one of the ships.  Whilst he's telling a tale of how he and his comrades are (in complete futility) using up all their ammo trying to "lay down a curtain of lead" in front of the Argentine Nighthawks, the film is showing an air-to-air missile kill!  There's no way a machine gun would do that; you can clearly see the results of a missile slotting itself right up the tailpipe of the jet!

I'll stand corrected on this but I think that footage was of a kill made by David "Mog" Morgan, an RAF Sea Harrier pilot.  I've seen a few different documentaries where he is describing the events of this very famous sortie.  Along with his wingman they engaged four Nighthawks; Morgan scored two kills from each of his two missiles and his wingman scored one, with the sole remaining nighthawk pilot running for home.

12 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Has anyone watched the "Untold Story" documentary on C4 yet? I thought it was interesting but it lacked a bit of substance, instead opting for theatrical drama.  There was a LOT of bias in my opinion too - you can tell they don't like Maggie!  They also used a bit of creative licence in places which would get past the casual observer but not anyone who knows a little bit about it. Typical channel 4.

There's a guy interviewed who was a machine gunner on one of the ships.  Whilst he's telling a tale of how he and his comrades are (in complete futility) using up all their ammo trying to "lay down a curtain of lead" in front of the Argentine Nighthawks, the film is showing an air-to-air missile kill!  There's no way a machine gun would do that; you can clearly see the results of a missile slotting itself right up the tailpipe of the jet!

I'll stand corrected on this but I think that footage was of a kill made by David "Mog" Morgan, an RAF Sea Harrier pilot.  I've seen a few different documentaries where he is describing the events of this very famous sortie.  Along with his wingman they engaged four Nighthawks; Morgan scored two kills from each of his two missiles and his wingman scored one, with the sole remaining nighthawk pilot running for home.

Would those be Skyhawks?

I went down in 87 - August to December - it was MPA by then which was impressive if you think about it - within 5 years they built the Death Star, Runways etc. etc. A relative was down there doing the building which was great for me as I had a way to get booze from the civvy building.

But it wasn't as half as impressive as what happened in 82 - possibly our last time of greatness for this country 😞

50 minutes ago, amateur said:

I had to look up "Falklands Death Star".

We were down in the "Swamp Pit" as well 

To be honest - it is one of the things I am proudest off what I helped to achieve down there - 1987 if you think back compared to now could be considered to be part of the stone age :) and we managed to set up Gull Island Pond as a Windurfing/Canoe/Laser center and got it being used for peoples R&R - All within a 4 month tour - this included finding the gear, getting a grant, getting new equipment flown down (helped that one of the guys was a loady from RAF Lyneham) and it is still going to this day

https://kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfing/viewtopic.php?t=55351

Nowadays I need the QE2 to get afloat I think 🤣

Edited by discobob