Todays session on the Peas and Rape

When I returned home after the mid week session I received another  call about a second sixty acres of peas, I confirmed that we would have a look on Saturday so this morning following a very hard frost we ventured out at 08.00 as we left the city we counted literally hundreds of birds feeding on tree buds and we knew that it was that time of the year when to find birds on a crop would be difficult , but we carried out to look at the pea field. When we arrived it had approx fifty birds down of the whole sixty acres so we chose the area with the most birds, I had seven large crows as decoys and six wood pigeons as further decoys in the hope we would see some pigeons as there were none on the field It was 10.00 and we were set up. The birds decoyed well but not in great numbers and the pigeon were very scarce. DB had a phone call requesting  forty fresh pigeons so we had to  rethink . We decide to drive round to find some birds and split if required , luckily the first rape field we came to had a few birds down on low rape approx fifty so I left DB to set up with his three fresh birds as decoys. It was now 13.00 and I returned to the original set up and had a few pigeons and corvids but it was slow. I finished at 17.00 with 65 Corvids and 17 Pigeon . When I collected DB he had 69 pigeons so we had plenty to supply the order and it was a good idea to split.

100_3599.JPG

IMG_2153.jpg

You are the sort of pest controllers land owners dream of , at the end of the phone and turn up normally within 24 hrs , I find nowadays ( around my area ) there is very little demand for crow shooting , yes we have got good numbers of Rooks ect but very few people are that keen in shooting them , could it be the price of cartridges ,  lack of field craft or short on permissions ? , if on our place the numbers get out of hand then the Crow trap come into play , this is then working seven days a week and can be moved about as required .

As our drillings are no longer productive as far as shooting go we are now entering the the quite spell which can last until the Peas are a few inches above ground , at the moment it is bread and butter bags off the thin patches of Rape , after the bitterly cold day on Friday yesterday afternoon was the reverse , in the sun it was nice and warm , to begin with there was a few Pigeons about , but after a few shots it was then back to a shot now and again , I took my little radio and packed up as soon as the Norwich match was over which was just before 5pm , with 11 in the bag it was a nice afternoon and hopefully our Peas go in within the next couple of weeks .

5 minutes ago, marsh man said:

You are the sort of pest controllers land owners dream of , at the end of the phone and turn up normally within 24 hrs , I find nowadays ( around my area ) there is very little demand for crow shooting , yes we have got good numbers of Rooks ect but very few people are that keen in shooting them , could it be the price of cartridges ,  lack of field craft or short on permissions ? , if on our place the numbers get out of hand then the Crow trap come into play , this is then working seven days a week and can be moved about as required .

As our drillings are no longer productive as far as shooting go we are now entering the the quite spell which can last until the Peas are a few inches above ground , at the moment it is bread and butter bags off the thin patches of Rape , after the bitterly cold day on Friday yesterday afternoon was the reverse , in the sun it was nice and warm , to begin with there was a few Pigeons about , but after a few shots it was then back to a shot now and again , I took my little radio and packed up as soon as the Norwich match was over which was just before 5pm , with 11 in the bag it was a nice afternoon and hopefully our Peas go in within the next couple of weeks .

Well done for getting out. I shoot the crows to confirm that I can shoot the pigeons when we find them.