SGC renewal

My SGC expires on 16th April

I sent my renewal application on 12th January 

It was received by Gloucestershire Firearms on 13th January

My cheque was cashed on 12th February

I emailed for an update on 7th March

On 8th March Gloucestershire Firearms emailed back confirming that they had my application and that someone would contact me 14 days before the expiry date which they haven't

I have emailed them and tried to call them but haven't received any response.

Are they obliged to extend my current certificate or should I be looking at putting my guns into storage with an RFD?

If they extend my current license how do they do this - do they send me another certificate, a letter, email?

If you get your application in at least 8 weeks before and all is in order, then your certs will be extended by 8 weeks. The police should send you a letter stating that your certs have been extended, and that the letter, accompanied by your cert, will allow you to buy ammo etc.

They have left it late to do this though, I got my letters (FAC/SGC) well over a month before my certs were due to expire.

Edited by Newbie to this

1 hour ago, Scully said:

You should ask for a Section 7 (S7) certificate, which entitles you to possess. Your licensing authority are obliged to issue one. Accept no refusal. 

They won't, not since the guidance changed to extending by 8 weeks providing the application was in 8 weeks prior to expiry.

If the 8 week extension expires then a section 7 should be issued.

16 minutes ago, Scully said:

Cheers. Didn’t know that. 

If you don't get the application in before the 8 weeks, they will not extend.

Or at least that is a mates recent experience with the MET, he was about a week late so 7 weeks before expiry, and about 4 days before his certs expired, he got a phone call telling him he had to store his guns with an RFD.

11 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

mine runs out 14th july,all forms are fill in and doctors forms is it to early to send them in,

I contacted Kent about 6 months before mine was due and asked what was the earliest I could send the application in. I was told to do it as soon as I had my doctor proforma back. Just email your firearms team and ask.

Kent's firearm/shotgun forms are all online now, so much easier.

My SGC was to expire Jan 22, received the renewal invitation letter from Gloucestershire Constabulary Nov21 got everything up together Medical report etc within the six week deadline stated on the letter. Submitted it all late December 21, had a call mid January to arrange a visit…. All okay received new certificate last week or so of January 22. Biggest hold up for me was my Gp refusing to do medical report, Shootcert came good though, seems to me it can work the other way if you get your application in to soon…good luck.

30 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

If you don't get the application in before the 8 weeks, they will not extend.

Or at least that is a mates recent experience with the MET, he was about a week late so 7 weeks before expiry, and about 4 days before his certs expired, he got a phone call telling him he had to store his guns with an RFD.

I was sent my renewal forms in plenty of time and handed them back in within a couple of weeks. My tickets expired prior to receiving new ones, so phoned and asked for a S7 ( no extension here ) which she tried to tell me I didn’t need. I said I did so was sent one. 
Received my new tickets last week, five months after old ones expired. 

1 minute ago, Scully said:

I was sent my renewal forms in plenty of time and handed them back in within a couple of weeks. My tickets expired prior to receiving new ones, so phoned and asked for a S7 ( no extension here ) which she tried to tell me I didn’t need. I said I did so was sent one. 

There's just no consistency 🤷‍♂️

19 hours ago, Scully said:

At least you can sleep with some ease now sir

I contacted the force I’m under as my extension runs out on the 24th this month was told if no one contacts you call us couple of days before expiry and we will send out some more extension paperwork so I have put a note on my calendar too call them as I don’t think I will be getting a visit

Edited by Marka11

2 minutes ago, Marka11 said:

I contacted the force I’m under as my extension runs out on the 24th this month was told if no one contacts you call us couple of days before expiry and we will send out some more extension paperwork so I have put a note on my calendar too call them as I don’t think I will be getting a visit

Not a very professional approach from them, glad Cambridgeshire are more on the ball.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Not a very professional approach from them, glad Cambridgeshire are more on the ball.

Roughly worked it out they have had all my paperwork for over 3 months now but hearing some of the stories of other guys at least I got my extensions were it appears some forces not willing hand out and I estimate another 2 months before sorted at least if need any carts my missus or nephew can get them for me but should have enough last 

As mentioned in the OP my licence expires next Saturday - 16th April.

As I still haven't heard anything I called the licencing department (not an FEO but an admin member of staff) last Tuesday (5th April) and they told me that my new licence had been issued and was with my FEO who would contact me shortly.

I asked if it would be before the expiry date and was told "we don't know as everyone is really busy" but don't worry your new licence is registered/live on the NFLMS (?) so you will be legal to go shooting but won't be able to buy any ammunition or buy/sell guns.

I asked if they would issue me an extension to my existing licence (I made the new application 13 weeks ago) or issue me with a temporary licence but was told "we don't do that, but as I said there isn't a problem.

I emailed BASC who again told me not to worry if your licence is registered/live on the national system.

I also asked BASC if I should be asking for an extension or a temporary licence but they didn't answer this point.

I have emailed BASC again but await their response

Any suggestions on what I should do;

1. Assume that what I am told is correct?

2. Put my gun in storage with an RFD?

As I’ve explained before, when my license expired I phoned HQ and spoke to a lady requesting a S7. She told me ( like you have been told ) that I didn’t really need a S7 as all my data regarding tickets was with them, so any enquiring officer could quickly check with HQ. I told her that would mean I couldn’t buy ammo, and that I should be issued a S7. She then relented and told me she would send me one. No two authorities seem to singing from the same sheet. 🤷‍♂️
If you have it in writing then personally I’d go with 1. 

11 hours ago, quentyn said:

My wife and I sent ours in for renewal about 4 months early ( last year in the middle of covid) and then were berated ( when i chased with 6 weeks to go) for "sending them in too early" 

you cant win sometimes 

According to the field sports channel, BASC advice for sending in renewal forms, is 4 months prior to expiry. 

I've renewed both my SGL and FAC - the extension runs out in 3 days !

I've tried calling (Staffs) and they don't answer the phone, I've left a message but no reply as yet

I gave the Dr my forms and £70 I presumed they'd emailed / sent it weeks ago but they text me yesterday to say I could collect it - surely that's not right ?

I think I only reapplied 4 weeks before my cert was up and had an almost 4 MONTH extension but unknown to me nothing has happened

Can I request a Section 7 ?