Tried out new gun and crop id please.

7daysinaweek

Had a handful of hours out with a gun I bought from a member on here a couple of months ago. It is a Betinsolli diamond multi choke 30". Having shot my old O/U baikal for the last 20 years I fancied trying something just a little bit lighter and should it ever take my fancy, I may try at a clay with it.

So in a good strong wind, overcast with no rain I holed myself up in a small spinney which had rape around it, when I had turned up little was happening, waited for not far off an hour with no realistic prospects so I moved on. Back into the vehicle and short drive away onto another patch.

Up against a long strip wood which in a good wind gets pigeons flighting back into a larger wood which is on the edge of my permission. I had only been waiting a few minutes and had a bird come not high but not low and it came into the wind, I connected with it and was very happy. Then came a crow which was about a 100 yards away and despite me being well camoflaged I literally flinched to turn towards it and it flared away. 

Missed a pigeon which came straight over the top of me, by the time I pulled the trigger I must have been bent over backwards and was surely well behind it. On it went with gusto! The last shot of the short stint was the best of the day and dropped a bird which came at a good height for me through not too huge a gap. The only unfortunate thing was I could not find the bird when I went to retrieve, the wood has huge density of bramble and as per the usual I spent  a good time trying to locate the bird.

Regarding the gun, the thing I noticed immeadiately was how much lighter it feels to me and the pleasant reduced recoil, that said, the baikal has a hard plastic butt plate and the new gun has a much thicker and softer butt pad.

Hopefully I will be out again soon with it, It certainly feels longer than the baikal which is stubby, hopefully them few more inches get me closer to the birds. :lol:

Great just getting out.

Opened up the crop of the bird I picked when I got home, could these be immature rape flowers??  I am sure the PW collective will be able to tell me.

rsz_120220405_141803.jpg

rsz_120220405_141743.jpg

rsz_120220405_153227.jpg

rsz_120220405_153307.jpg

rsz_20220405_153438.jpg

THANKS for taking the time to report your results on trying out your new addition , always nice to connect with your first shot from a new gun and that alone could be long term partnership .

Like others have said I think the contents of the birds crop is certainly a tree or bush bud , we are now coming up to a lean spell as far as pigeon shooting go with the birds nesting and staying in the woods eating the buds .

GOOD LUCK on your next, and futhur sessions out with your new gun :good:

Thanks for the informative replies gents. 👍

Woodies certainly are efficient and it would appear they don't miss many opportunities at all, I suppose that is what makes the species such a prolific bird. I find more often than not that it is frustratingly difficult to read their behavoiur from fieldcraft point. Give me a rabbit, fox or hare and I am in my element as I understand their habits much more than I do the woody.

16 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

I'd take a stab at them being cherry buds, they're in various stages of blossom at the moment and you can see the petals almost emerged on some of those.  Congrats on the new gun 👍

I thought along those lines.

19 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Thanks for the informative replies gents. 👍

Woodies certainly are efficient and it would appear they don't miss many opportunities at all, I suppose that is what makes the species such a prolific bird. I find more often than not that it is frustratingly difficult to read their behavoiur from fieldcraft point. Give me a rabbit, fox or hare and I am in my element as I understand their habits much more than I do the woody.

Nice to know your getting out mate, the pigeons are like parrots in my garden swinging off the bird feeders or stripping the cherry tree , comical to watch, but it would be better if they didn't roost above the greenhouse!

44 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I thought along those lines.

Nice to know your getting out mate, the pigeons are like parrots in my garden swinging off the bird feeders or stripping the cherry tree , comical to watch, but it would be better if they didn't roost above the greenhouse!

Ahh!

That is where they all are. 

Goes right through them cherries, suprised they have not shattered the glass with bottom bombs! :lol:

I get over at some stage soon and have a catch up. 👍

3 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Ahh!

That is where they all are. 

Goes right through them cherries, suprised they have not shattered the glass with bottom bombs! 

I get over at some stage soon and have a catch up. 👍

Look forward to it 😘