Sleet at Crabtree

Scully

Had promised a young lad of a mate I’d take him trap shooting, and as he’s off school and I’m off work, today seemed a good day, apart from the weather which hadn’t looked too bad when we organised it. 
Set off in torrential rain trying to keep positive, but should have known the day wasn’t going to go well when we got to Tebay ( South East ) services for breakfast and they’d stopped serving them! 💩

Anyhow, got to Crabtree, which was much busier than I’d expected, and sat in the vehicle watching sleet and rain fly horizontal past the windscreen for about ten minutes and then it stopped! Went into clubhouse where I discovered I’d left my tickets at home, but nothing ventured nothing gained, so asked the lad behind the counter if he felt comfortable selling me two boxes, and not to worry if he didn’t, totally understandable and admitting it was entirely my fault for forgetting it. He didn’t. Fair enough. I had fifty five in my cartridge bag and the lad with me had the hundred I’d told him to bring, so not a problem. He asked if the lad had his tickets as he could sell them to him, but he hadn’t brought his either. 😀
He gave me a socket after asking my name which he wrote in a book, and we left the clubhouse. Now I had to explain to a 15 year old why he wouldn’t sell cartridges to two blokes dressed in shooting clothes, carrying guns and cartridge bags, without showing a certificate, but was happy to let them shoot without seeing one! Anyhow, I got round that by explaining that there is much irrational, illogical and meaningless guidance and legislation regarding Uk firearms ownership, not bothering to mention that a vehicle reg’ number ( as they do at Westlands ) would be more useful than asking a stranger whom you weren’t prepared to sell cartridges to, his name. 🙂
Anyhow, the lad done well with his 20 bore, and despite us both getting drenched by a brief but horrendous sleet/hailstone shower as we made our way up to the ‘grouse butt’, which ceased to work due to the weather I’m assuming, he enjoyed it. 
There were a group of old boys under cover shooting DTL, so we went in there to watch and to miss another passing shower. He was impressed with the shooting but we had to leave when the variances of the word ‘pull’ got too much for him ( some really were hysterical! 😂) and he found it hard to stifle his laughter. 
Another couple of stands and the cold got too much for his young thin fingers, so we called it a day. 
Needless to say that as we de-clobbered into the vehicle, the rain and sleet stopped and the sun came out! By the time we got a couple of miles up the M6 the tarmac was drying. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Scully

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Well done Scully 👍

Thankyou. 

1 hour ago, mossy835 said:

well done taken the young lad out, glad he enjoyed it,

Thanks. He has a younger brother and sister who enjoy shooting too, so we’ll be going again before too long. 

I went there today too but timed it better than you for the weather 😃

I've shot with all the old boys there over 40 years ago and their version of "pull" has been the same for as long as I've known them😁

One or two have passed on but they still all enjoy shooting together.

59 minutes ago, BlaserF3 said:

I went there today too but timed it better than you for the weather 😃

I've shot with all the old boys there over 40 years ago and their version of "pull" has been the same for as long as I've known them😁

One or two have passed on but they still all enjoy shooting together.

🙂 Good for you. We left around 1430 and the sun was starting to come out. 
I like watching the old boys shoot DTL, they know what they’re doing and they’re good to watch. Nice to see a few embracing modern technology also, with a couple shooting raised ribs.

I think the ‘pull’ which got the lad chuckling was a long stretched out ‘aaarrgh!’ 🙂 Long  may they continue. 

Only been to Crabtree once. It was for the BASC Substainable shooting day. We had a round afterwards and loved the grouse butt. Decided to just press buttons randomly, sometimes the same one twice. Great fun

ill see if my mate fancies a mid week trip as Saturdays are usually spoken for

16 hours ago, Scully said:

🙂 Good for you. We left around 1430 and the sun was starting to come out. 
I like watching the old boys shoot DTL, they know what they’re doing and they’re good to watch. Nice to see a few embracing modern technology also, with a couple shooting raised ribs.

I think the ‘pull’ which got the lad chuckling was a long stretched out ‘aaarrgh!’ 🙂 Long  may they continue. 

They're not embracing technology, they suffer so many neck and shoulder problems they can't get their heads down to the stock any more  😄

Take it from one who also suffers  !

17 hours ago, Diver One said:

Only been to Crabtree once. It was for the BASC Substainable shooting day. We had a round afterwards and loved the grouse butt. Decided to just press buttons randomly, sometimes the same one twice. Great fun

ill see if my mate fancies a mid week trip as Saturdays are usually spoken for

Yes, they seem to constantly change the grouse butt set up, so no one gets used to it! I agree, it’s great fun! 
I see they also have a bit of a small tower in the lower field, but lad was too cold by then. 

16 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, ok keep us posted, always good to see our younger generation taking to clay shooting 

Will do. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Westley said:

They're not embracing technology, they suffer so many neck and shoulder problems they can't get their heads down to the stock any more  😄

Take it from one who also suffers  !

😀 That could be it!