Hybrids .

jasper682

There are very few what you could call NON hybrids today. I would guess that almost all dogs are a mixture.  Viszlas are a case in point but have been bred through the ages to produce a good all round hunting dog.  Probably the same with labradors, the one we consider a traditional lab is probably nothing like those the fishermen in Labrador used way back when and of course in the last forty years or so the breed has been destroyed with curly tails , no undercoat to speak of and walk like lurchers but still sold as pedigree labs.  Spaniels just a couple of hundred years ago where by looking at paintings much larger dogs than the presnt day ones.  Show me a well trained Sprocker that cannot do the job. 

28 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

There are very few what you could call NON hybrids today. I would guess that almost all dogs are a mixture.  Viszlas are a case in point but have been bred through the ages to produce a good all round hunting dog.  Probably the same with labradors, the one we consider a traditional lab is probably nothing like those the fishermen in Labrador used way back when and of course in the last forty years or so the breed has been destroyed with curly tails , no undercoat to speak of and walk like lurchers but still sold as pedigree labs.  Spaniels just a couple of hundred years ago where by looking at paintings much larger dogs than the presnt day ones.  Show me a well trained Sprocker that cannot do the job. 

Interesting reply for a motoring section and request:-)

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

:lol:

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

You took your eye off the ball there nev 😁

To answer the OP 🤣 , they are of course a compromise between both pure EV and ICE engined vehicles.

You have what is, in most cases, a pure ice engined car with a small battery shoehorned somewhere into the car. In most, you give up a little space in the boot and your spare tyre as the batteries are usually placed under the boot floor.

Your typical phev (plug in hybrid electric vehicle) will be lugging about many kg's of batteries and electric motors when you are running on fuel or lugging about a great big engine, gearbox and many litres of fuel when your running on electric.

As a plus, you can normally get 30+ miles of electric range which is more than enough for the day to day stuff with a few hundred miles of petrol range to back it up should you need to venture further away.

Well I never. It would have been much clearer if the OP had said hybrid vehicles when I could have said.....load of garbage, expensive rubbish. 

My comments otherwise otherise still stand however.

...and do not forget it is not only rude to mock the aged  but highly dangerous.

Electric cars have got a very long way to go to match internal combustion.  Hydrogen is the way to go but of course all of these fuels are governed by the money to be made.

A friend has a top of range hybrid and it will only go about 25 miles on electric.  Plus at a push 300 miles is possible with a pure electric and then sit and twiddle your thumbs for an hour or two whilst it recharges. 

Wife has a Mitsubishi Outlander phev.   A great car for a family and as she only drives around town most days she can drive on the battery nearly all day, battery only range is  about 18 miles.   True it only does about 26 or so miles to the gal on petrol only though.   I was very impressed at the driving experience under battery power plus all the gadgetry to try and recharge the battery while on the go.

Currently have a Toyota Auris est hybrid it’s a self charging one never had a full battery charge and never had chance to use see how far it would go just on electric but brilliant car does about 45-70mpg depending if rural or motorway but my next Co car is a Seat Leon fr est plug in they recon 35mls on full charge but I’m realistic 25miles max I would say but I’m converted to hybrid now even my missus after driving mine now wants one. Yes the way too go will be hydrogen in the future

Our neighbours have a big Volvo 4x4 plug in hybrid. Works for their needs - 30 miles ish electric range for dropping the kids at nursery, local running around without trying to warm up an ICE engine, but they've only put petrol in it once or twice in 6 months, apparently. But it has normal ish range with petrol when needed.

It must weigh a shedload though.

My 2021 Toyota Rav4 Hyrbrid AWD goes across fields and slippery terrain without an issue. The rear wheels are driven by an electric motor.

I get typically middle 50mpg and on cross country cruises it can be mid 60's

good tech, comfy on long distance. Quiet on motorways and never have to plug it in.

When you look at the Toyota App re stats it covers typically 50% on battery and the rest on petrol.

• 1 month later...

I bought a 2018 Prius plug in Hybrid, it has a battery which is 5 times bigger than a standard hybrid and that extra 80% is used for purely EV driving that gives you 30 miles EV range. For longer trips it seamlessly transfers to the standard Hybrid set up utilising the last 20% of the battery and the petrol engine, this mode will often be in EV a lot of the time anyway. If you look at the average mpg read out, it often states 150 to 175 mpg depending upon the mix of short EV journeys you have made ( which is my routine )  compared to longer journeys in hybrid mode. You have no worries about finding a charging point and it takes just over 3 hours to fully charge from a mains transformer in my garage. For shooting, on the plus side is the roof height, it’s perfect for leaning a rifle on and shooting over it. On the negative side it’s very low to the ground and doesn’t like muddy fields, so ideally need a second 4wd vehicle when conditions demand, ideally a 4WD Hybrid. Road tax is cheap, think it’s £145 pa.

Edited by ruffapuffa