Laser level and use.

oowee

I am doing some work on my boat and struggling to get a true vertical as the floor of the boat is not level (its on a stand). Will a laser level show a true vertical regardless of the angle of the floor its rested on? Will it also show a true horizontal regardless of the angle of the wall it rests against? 

Any recommendations of what to look for in buying one? 

Thx in advance

The simple answer is yes, but,,,,

Most, if not all good quality laser levels have a small-angle gimbal, and the laser will flash while it's not within that angle.

Green lasers are more visible, but you can get glasses to aid seeing the red ones too.

I use a De-Walt one with vertical, horizontal and cross options,,,, works for my needs and does what it says on the tin.

HTH

Grant, a laser level will 'self level' - but it will only tolerate a few degrees out of level before it errors out.  However, most of the DIY or 'prosumer' level lasers come with a camera tripod thread.  This means you end up tweaking the 'angle of dangle' using the tripod's head adjustment until the laser kicks in.

I can forsee this being a frustrating process if your boat is on the water and someone motors past and the wash cause your boat to roll or pitch on its mooring.

But, I wouldn't be without my laser level, anymore than I'd be without my poundshop plumb bob.  Speaking of, that will show you a true vertical, for a lot less cash, but if you're working alone you will end up having tie or tape it to the cabin roof...

Don't expect to use all but the most expensive lasers outside, either, unless you wait for dark.

Yes it can be made to by using an ajustable leg tripod, This allows the laser level to be mounted on the tripod and the legs adjusted to level the laser itself.

This is assuming you have a tripod mounting level of course. If you just have a free standing or magnetic type it can still be done, but you will have to use a spirit level and wedges to level the laser on the floor for your vertical reference or at the height required for you horizontal reference 

My tip for buying one would be for the tripod mounted model, a little more expensive but most will switch between the horizontal and vertical planes without the need to re level.

B & Q, Wickes, Toolstation and Screwfix all do reasonably priced models or you could always hire one. 

7 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

In which case a DIY grade 'cross line' level will do you.

Mine is a 'Stanley' brand and cost less than £40.

It came with a bracket that nominally clamps to things to allow you to get it level ish before unlocking and activating the laser, but most of the time I use it with a £16 tripod.

Just looked it up. Perfect. Thankyou. 

4 minutes ago, gamekeeper1960 said:

I may be throwing a spanner in the works but does a boat ever sit level in the water does that depend on were ever you add weight...or is that being just a bit pernickety...🤔

I am sure your right but it would be good if it at least starts in the right position. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

I am sure your right but it would be good if it at least starts in the right position. 

Yes indeed , it may also pay dividends to put a bit of fiddle rail on the front of the shelf to stop stuff sliding against the back of the cupboard door and then falling out when you open it.

Edited by Tonka54

1 hour ago, gamekeeper1960 said:

I may be throwing a spanner in the works but does a boat ever sit level in the water does that depend on were ever you add weight...or is that being just a bit pernickety...🤔

The OP does state it's on a stand, so presumably the boat is on hard standing but not on the level