Binoculars prices ???.

samboy

On 07/04/2022 at 18:10, Walker570 said:

I have a pair of Swaros purchased 30 years ago for £300 which I thought at the time was a bit over the top.  Recently I purchased a pair of Hawke for my wife and I honestly cannot tell the difference....only in the price I paid.

RIP OFF.

I think you write a lot of sense Walker but today i must totally disagree - unless you are actually blind

I have compared my vanguard Endeavour ED binos against top of the range swaros. In woodland on a dull winters day or at last light there is a considerable definition difference as range increases, even to my old eyes. If I could afford the swaros I would no longer do so as for woodland stalking a thermal imager is now far more of a game changer at a cost of less than the price differential. On the one occasion I have needed support from Vanguard they very quickly sent me replacement parts FOC hence they get another shout out to let folks know that their after sales service is on a par with Swaros but without the apparent in built cost. 

I am with Nev though in that folk should always assess whether there is enough light left for sensible tracking of deer before taking a late shot even if their equipment allows enough light transmission especially if you do not have a tracking dog with you.

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Yeah, I find some of their kit worth the extra, but then I got a pair of gtx boots and first puddle I stood in filled the boot. They went back and not bought boots from them since

Their £500 jackets are available from China for £35. 

I was lucky enough to inherit a pair of top end binoculars and already owned a reasonable mid range pair, the clarity is slightly better no doubt (but not 4 times better), the most striking difference to me is the much greater depth of field, you can be looking at something in focus at 50 yards but also see everything crtstal clear at 10 to 100 yards without having to refocus, this must be a great benefit to keen birdwatchers

Very expensive yes but they will last a lifetime, i think the big brands have extremely long warranties.  I bought a second hand pair of Swarovski binoculars from a postcard pinned inside a birdwatching hide twenty years ago. If I need any replacement parts (mainly eye pieces) I just email and they arrive free through the post within a day or two.

Hi

As I always say, binos or scopes - let your eyes tell you which suit them, at the times of day you will be using them - not someone elses from a review. It is tricky balancing reviews/cost price and bang for your buck!

Sure, there is comfort in the aftersales service - Swarovski (but allegedly not necessarily others at this price-point, but some mid-range) being platinum standard. My friend (I seemed to have known her over 30yrs) at Swarovski, Christine Percy, RIP, was always fantastic, as are her colleagues. I even found Swarovski in France just as helpful!

When a decision has to be made, if informed/your experience based likely to be good.

L

On 07/04/2022 at 20:04, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, these are my best Binos purchased many many years ago from a  shop in Newbury ,  Pyser - SGI Eagle 10x 42 Made in Japan , never see for sale now ,

Hello, just to add I hardly use the above and have a cheap pair bought off Oxford market, my main one in my shooting bag is a Hawke ED monocular I was given to use on the farm

I have spent many hours in bird hides and you get to know people. Sometimes with little going on, equipment would be swapped or handed out to try.

I have some bins Nikon purchased about eight years ago for £699. I could see a very slight improvement with top end equipment but no where near enough to justify the extra money. If I was buying again. I wouldn't spend more than £300.

On 09/04/2022 at 09:13, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, just to add I hardly use the above and have a cheap pair bought off Oxford market, my main one in my shooting bag is a Hawke ED monocular I was given to use on the farm

Hello, I think our saying, buy the best you can afford, is apt for binoculars , if your an avid bird watcher the clarity of glass is important, checking out the fields for pigeons most binoculars around the £100 should do ok

19 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I think our saying, buy the best you can afford, is apt for binoculars , if your an avid bird watcher the clarity of glass is important, checking out the fields for pigeons most binoculars around the £100 should do ok

Amen to the above, BUT, it is always worth looking around your local charity shops, bargains can be found.