Clay shoots-Yeovil?

turbo33

Are there any members that live close to Yeovil?  I'm spending more time that direction these days, possibly relocating,  and looking at options for shooting down there. Can anyone help with any  information, clay shoots, shooting buddy etc. 

Many thanks

T33

Edited by turbo33

Podimore closed about 18months ago unfortunately and Wood Farm at Mere closed permanently about 3 weeks ago. Don Brunt runs a shoot at Willoughby Hedge (not far from Mere) once a month for a registered shoot with a follow up practice shoot a week later. Hope this helps!

Somerset Shooting Ground near Shepton Mallet 

Brook Bank Shooting Ground near Cheddar

Purbeck

Owls Lodge is an hour away, as is Barbury

Meadowcroft just south of Bath

Gunsite near Marlborough Is doable

plus Willoughby Hedge and Enford

There are a number of small shoots which pop up occasionally so there’s no shortage of places to shoot. Gun shops are a good source of info, Coombe Farm Sporting at Crewkerne, Avalon Guns at Street and their Mendip store is on shooting ground just north of Wells. Depends what you want really, registered shoots or just playing around. You have a choice.

Mendip shooting ground near Wells too!

If you're willing to go to Owls Lodge (a few miles from me, nudge if you fancy company?) then you also have Lains on the way near Thruxton, and then you have Spitfire shoot near also.

Or there's a nice really quiet gem that Don Brunt teaches at occasionally at Widdington farm, near Upavon.

On 08/04/2022 at 18:15, Wylye said:

Somerset Shooting Ground near Shepton Mallet 

Brook Bank Shooting Ground near Cheddar

Purbeck

Owls Lodge is an hour away, as is Barbury

Meadowcroft just south of Bath

Gunsite near Marlborough Is doable

plus Willoughby Hedge and Enford

There are a number of small shoots which pop up occasionally so there’s no shortage of places to shoot. Gun shops are a good source of info, Coombe Farm Sporting at Crewkerne, Avalon Guns at Street and their Mendip store is on shooting ground just north of Wells. Depends what you want really, registered shoots or just playing around. You have a choice.

The answer to this is also of interest to me, I checked Somerset shooting ground but they are only open for competition shoots on the days listed in their calendar so no good for me :(

• 3 months later...
On 15/04/2022 at 20:04, Wylye said:

Well that's a shame Sportsbob. Luckily you have lots of other places to go within an hours travelling time. As I said earlier, it depends whether you want to shoot competitions or just practice clays.

Perhaps you might like to explain why it's a shame.

4 hours ago, Wylye said:

?

You said

"Well that's a shame Sportsbob. Luckily you have lots of other places to go within an hours travelling time. As I said earlier, it depends whether you want to shoot competitions or just practice clays."

your comment comes over snotty or sarcastic so to clarify things just in case I have miss understood your comment I asked why is it a shame ?

39 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

You said

"Well that's a shame Sportsbob. Luckily you have lots of other places to go within an hours travelling time. As I said earlier, it depends whether you want to shoot competitions or just practice clays."

your comment comes over snotty or sarcastic so to clarify things just in case I have miss understood your comment I asked why is it a shame ?

Likewise ? Did I miss something ?

9 minutes ago, holloway said:

Likewise ? Did I miss something ?

It appears so, the op asked for local clay grounds and I was merely disappointed that the one that was closest to me was only open for competition as I would like to shoot there. No sarcasm or ill intent was intended just disappointment hence the emoji . I apologies if it came out wrong .

EDIT Whoops I appear to have inadvertently entered another conversation with another member and I don`t wish to upset anyone so apologies again.

Edited by sportsbob

2 hours ago, sportsbob said:

You said

If you thought that was snotty and sarcastic then good luck with your shooting and I hope you find lots of places to shoot with people who won't upset you. 

On 20/07/2022 at 19:38, sportsbob said:

Perhaps you might like to explain why it's a shame.

It's a shame there's a club locally that I don't see listed too. It's a shame as it's close to you and wasn't mentioned ;)

Mendip Shooting Ground - Clay Pigeon Shooting and Target Shooting (mendipsg.co.uk)

They have Avalon guns there too. Not a bad ground but if I remember you have to drive from the clubhouse down to the English sporting. But it has DTL and skeet also.

On 08/04/2022 at 17:35, SURIN said:

Podimore closed about 18months ago unfortunately and Wood Farm at Mere closed permanently about 3 weeks ago. Don Brunt runs a shoot at Willoughby Hedge (not far from Mere) once a month for a registered shoot with a follow up practice shoot a week later. Hope this helps!

Hot news, Don brunt has given up Willoughby and Enford. He's now gone all in at.... hmmm sportsman!

Facebook post from double barrelled:

Double Barrelled Podimore

Yesterday at 15:52  · 

Very pleased and excited to be able to announce that I will be working together with Sportsman Gun Centre at Ashcombe near Exeter.

We have plenty of plans in the pipeline to make something very special and we will be making more announcements in the coming days.

I’d like to thank all those who have supported us at both Enford Valley and at Willoughby Hedge, and also the Barton and Marks families who have been very kind hosts. This does mean though that all existing fixtures at Willoughby and Enford are cancelled with immediate effect.

Thank you once again to all who have shot with us and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you and new faces to Ashcombe in the near future.