Lefty update

muncher

Today was to be my next go at shooting left handed. I had spotted a rape field that had a good amount of birds going in and felt it would probably produce. I asked my brother if he wanted to join me , and he wanted too. I had booked the afternoon off so my brother set up on the field in the morning, on the way home I noticed a large amount of pigeons lift off another rape field I can shoot , so we decided to split up. I set up with a rotory straight in front with 8 dead birds in cradles with my back to a hedge/ tree line. The main flight line came from behind and some turned back and decoyed. I missed the first bird in , next one straight in and I nailed it , a pair next and I was feeling confident. I didn’t get any more pairs but I had busy spells followed by slow periods. The flight finished at 3.30 and I picked up 53 pigeons for 102 shots. I have a bruised cheek but I’m pleased with my ratio. I have to work on quick mounts as several birds went through that I was too slow to  get on. My brother picked up 63 on his field so we made the right decision. 

013CF1CF-1E08-44EA-8ECE-12F3FA017DA3.jpeg

Edited by muncher

One in around two is a pretty good average for most shooters who take whatever come into the decoys , changing over from right to left is very good going in the short time you have had to adjust and I fear if my gun was all of a sudden in my left shoulder the average would be a lot worse than that .

All our rape is well in flower now and the gas guns are keeping them off the fields that took a bit of stick , our Peas have been in for around 10 days but with this cold weather I recon it will be another couple of weeks before they poke there heads up above ground .

Good write up and a very good bag between the both of you .:good:

Well done to you both 👍 especially yourself . When you mount the gun are you finding that you place it then gripping it very tight. Reason being ( not for a few years ) when i regularly swapped shoulder's never a problem but now if i try i find as i described along with the gun kicks.  Come next season I'm sure you will be knocked them ole Geese down as in the past 👍 

22 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Well done to you both 👍 especially yourself . When you mount the gun are you finding that you place it then gripping it very tight. Reason being ( not for a few years ) when i regularly swapped shoulder's never a problem but now if i try i find as i described along with the gun kicks.  Come next season I'm sure you will be knocked them ole Geese down as in the past 👍 

Some times yes, the hardest bit for me is consistent mount , but it’s getting more natural. I’m hoping by the start off  next season I’m ready. 

10 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Impressive stuff Jules … 

My face isn’t  so sure. 😁 thanks. 

6 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Cracking outing that!

Well done and as above enjoyed the write up.

Cheers. 

Edited by muncher