Larsen trap

On that subject:  I tried various means of nourishment for call birds in my first couple of years of trapping but regularly lost the birds.  Carrion is definitely not a goer.

By far the best solution I've arrived at is to use a small handful of dry dog food in the feed cup.  You just splash a bit of water on it so it softens up.  If I protect the birds from weather and vermin they will last indefinitely.

12 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

On that subject:  I tried various means of nourishment for call birds in my first couple of years of trapping but regularly lost the birds.  Carrion is definitely not a goer.

By far the best solution I've arrived at is to use a small handful of dry dog food in the feed cup.  You just splash a bit of water on it so it softens up.  If I protect the birds from weather and vermin they will last indefinitely.

I've been using those meaty bite thingies to feed them, they seem to love them too!

On 14/05/2022 at 09:58, Novice said:

How is everyone doing on the larsens? I'm finishing up shortly, one or two trap shy magpies and crows about that will be dealt with separately, but a real noticable reduction in both species in the area. 

Had a handful in mine now, and with my mates we’ve had 10+ off the shoot. 

Do you stop now for the summer?

I personally do. Once I've accounted for the territorial birds and catches drop off, I feel I've done my bit. 

Everyone is different, and full time keepers may take a different view, but what I'm trying to do is disrupt corvid breeding attempts for that season. It's the pairs feeding their own chicks that can do the most damage to eggs and chicks of other species. Even if a crow or magpie pair were to nest and raise a brood now on my spot, chances are they won't be synchronised with the majority of the nesting attempts of their prey species and won't have such a negative impact. 

Hit them hard late March to Mid May seems to work for me. Can never understand those who start catching lots of fledged magpies mid summer and think they're doing some good. The local damage has already been done by that stage in raising those birds themselves. 

As I've mentioned on this thread previously, a larsen mate or two alongside the main trap can make the world of difference. Eggs in the catching compartments can make a bird commit too. I'd recommend hard boiling them so they last a bit longer between trap moves and trampling by captured birds. 

I’m currently out of action with Covid, but one of the beaters has been doing my trap the last few days. 

Had another magpie today and one yesterday as well, so I’ve had 5 with mine. 

With the other lad doing it and the bloke next door we must of had 20+.

Alongside a few crows, Jack daws and we’ve had about 14 foxes off the farm. 

We are hoping we can get our 450 odd birds this year, we haven’t heard otherwise. 

10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I’m currently out of action with Covid, but one of the beaters has been doing my trap the last few days. 

Had another magpie today and one yesterday as well, so I’ve had 5 with mine. 

With the other lad doing it and the bloke next door we must of had 20+.

Alongside a few crows, Jack daws and we’ve had about 14 foxes off the farm. 

We are hoping we can get our 450 odd birds this year, we haven’t heard otherwise. 

Struggled like mad with the corvids

Just started catching magpies 

Had a mega run on the foxes '

over 40 so far on our 200 acres 

7 hours ago, jall25 said:

Had a mega run on the foxes '

over 40 so far on our 200 acres 

I would be thinking someone is rehoming them if you have had that many.

Do you ever inspect for signs of  recent surgery? Rescue places have a habit of fixing them before relocating town foxes into the countryside.

On 20/05/2022 at 08:13, 39TDS said:

I would be thinking someone is rehoming them if you have had that many.

Do you ever inspect for signs of  recent surgery? Rescue places have a habit of fixing them before relocating town foxes into the countryside.

Hello

No signs of any surgery at all

Record them all - where they were shot and sex

Im out at least 5 times a week and bait several places

I simply now wonder if there IS actually this many foxes about but new technology lets us see them ?

I have had this land for 30 years and properly managed it for the last 10 

It is only since i invested in thermal that i have had these results

Oh and another 2 magpies yesterday !

Thanks goodness !

On 16/05/2022 at 11:06, Novice said:

I personally do. Once I've accounted for the territorial birds and catches drop off, I feel I've done my bit. 

Everyone is different, and full time keepers may take a different view, but what I'm trying to do is disrupt corvid breeding attempts for that season. It's the pairs feeding their own chicks that can do the most damage to eggs and chicks of other species. Even if a crow or magpie pair were to nest and raise a brood now on my spot, chances are they won't be synchronised with the majority of the nesting attempts of their prey species and won't have such a negative impact. 

Hit them hard late March to Mid May seems to work for me. Can never understand those who start catching lots of fledged magpies mid summer and think they're doing some good. The local damage has already been done by that stage in raising those birds themselves. 

As I've mentioned on this thread previously, a larsen mate or two alongside the main trap can make the world of difference. Eggs in the catching compartments can make a bird commit too. I'd recommend hard boiling them so they last a bit longer between trap moves and trampling by captured birds. 

I'm the same, in fact this year actually I haven't run the larsens as remarkably the local magpie (and carrion) population is pretty low. I don't mind having the odd pair about, probably keeps nesting birds on their toes. Really did see and catch a lot in previous years and I guess has had an impact, and perhaps there is someone else trapping them locally? I suspect the fledgling magpies which will appear shortly, probably have a fairly high natural mortality in their first year anyway (most birds seem to), and agree with your view on them.

The only tip I'd give to add to yours, is that it's worth buying a pack of dummy eggs, for the catch compartment made from rubber or similar. I bought a pack in mole valley, but I'm sure could get them on the net, they lasted me the whole catching season. No mess, and by the time the corvid realises it is too late.

I have a magpie call bird for six years. Never thought they would survive that long.I set the trap in an open front shed from sep/oct depending on weather until march to provide extra shelter.It still catches throughout that time. Feed it canned dog food but i'll look at dried nuts.