Adhesive for quarry tiles

paul1966

I have nearly finished cleaning up and sealing 300 reclaimed 6 inch quarries that are 1 inch thick, they will be laid on a concrete slab which is reasonably level, the bed I need to match the height of existing tiles is about 12mm thick , can anyone recommend an adhesive ? I don't want quick set as I won't be that quick working.

To achieve bed thickness would a 20 mm notched trowel be ok, I am going to  back butter the tiles. Never done floor tiles before only wall.

Hi seal the concrete with sbr or p v a that will give you more time and also act as a bonding agent maple floor tile adhesive is not a quick set but what ever you choose to use just mix a small amount at a time which you can manage to lay say 5or so tiles and you will get a grasp of how far you can go with in your capabilities wash your bucket a nd tools after each mix used so it doesn’t set the next mix off 20mm notches will be more than adequate have fun

9 hours ago, eddoakley said:

12mm is a thick bed.

I'd think about reducing that by using some latex first. Assuming the tiles are of similar thickness it would also make sure that the subfloor is smooth and level this making your job easier.

Edd

This 100% 👍

1 hour ago, paul1966 said:

I was going to level off the floor by varying the thickness of adhesive, mainly to get out of adding another job of pouring a screed but having thought about it i will now lay a screed to get the floor hopefully perfectly level before tiling.

Good call,,,, you can get rapid setting floor levelling compounds which I'd recommend. RAPIDSET 30 or RAPID 30 take (surprise surprise) 30 minutes to set ,,,, if you require of course 👍

• 2 weeks later...

All the areas of Quarry tiling I have done I had used neat cement powder , if you needed a thicker bed then we added a drop of soft sand in the mix , not sure if this is how the experts do it but when they are set they set for life and we also used the same mix for grouting .

well I made a start tiling, 100 laid so far 200 to go. First few tiles I  laid started to sink due to the weight of tile being an inch thick so I had to add some more adhesive powder to make it a lot more stiffer.

I think I chose the hardest type of tile to lay due to the weight slightly varying thickness and size of each tile so keeping even grout gaps went out the window and I am mainly going by eye now as to what looks right.

From afar I am sure they will look ok although a few are not exactly level and sit a mm or two higher on the odd corner. So overall i am happy so far and will be glad when they are all done, its probably taking about three times longer than i thought it would!

DSC_0488.JPG