FAC application

Acerforestry

After some years of having not handled or shot any weapon of any calibre, I'm slowly getting back into air rifles but also considering applying for a shotgun certificate. However, I'm curious about if I have reasonable grounds to request FAC on an air rifle, for pigeon / rabbit control on more than one rural site of considerable size where I have obtained permission. Is this likely to be sufficient reason to request FAC being granted based on people's experiences on here?

The police seem to be a little more relaxed on granting FAC air as opposed to RF/CF, as long as you have a sensible reason and you are not going for something along the lines of 303 cal puff cannon then you should be alright. Don't forget the downsides though, increased Air use, increased security, increased Ammo cost if you go down the slug route. I have an FAC S510 running at 30ftlbs and a sub 12 Air rifle, the sub 12 comes out to play more often than the FAC at a ratio of around 50:1.

16 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

The police seem to be a little more relaxed on granting FAC air as opposed to RF/CF, as long as you have a sensible reason and you are not going for something along the lines of 303 cal puff cannon then you should be alright. Don't forget the downsides though, increased Air use, increased security, increased Ammo cost if you go down the slug route. I have an FAC S510 running at 30ftlbs and a sub 12 Air rifle, the sub 12 comes out to play more often than the FAC at a ratio of around 50:1.

Over 90% of my air rifle shooting is around outbuildings and in barns. I thought about getting an FAC rated air rifle but realised it would hardly be used. 

Fac air can often be used where cf and rf  cannot . Consider your ground and quarry .

If your shooting over big fields or paddocks  targeting rabbits then a .25 cal can really stretch the range compared to a sub 12 airgun .but bear in mind your backstops as .25 keeps on going (even the pellets ) and don't consider elevated shots with a .25  .

If the ground is tricker for angles etc .consider a .177 fac they can reach out to around 70 yds  and carry much less clout so are easier to consider safe backstops. Also elevated shots  now have  the similar consideration required for a sub 12 .

. Obviously  the .22 sits in the middle  with appropriate  safety  considerations  .

Your unlikely to get an open ticket on first application even for fac air .

Work out what you need and why by asking questions and researching. And then apply accordingly  .if you haven't done the above the feo may refuse you .

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Fac air can often be used where cf and rf  cannot . Consider your ground and quarry .

If your shooting over big fields or paddocks  targeting rabbits then a .25 cal can really stretch the range compared to a sub 12 airgun .but bear in mind your backstops as .25 keeps on going (even the pellets ) and don't consider elevated shots with a .25  .

If the ground is tricker for angles etc .consider a .177 fac they can reach out to around 70 yds  and carry much less clout so are easier to consider safe backstops. Also elevated shots  now have  the similar consideration required for a sub 12 .

. Obviously  the .22 sits in the middle  with appropriate  safety  considerations  .

Your unlikely to get an open ticket on first application even for fac air .

Work out what you need and why by asking questions and researching. And then apply accordingly  .if you haven't done the above the feo may refuse you .

OK, noted. I think for my needs a .22 would be adequate

Most police forces have open for FAC air . This what I got told by Dorset and Devon &cornwall  .

.22  FX crown FAC air  is absolutely brilliant  500 mm barrel  can have it shooting @42 ftlbs 950 fps with ZAN slugs and with in 30 seconds have it shooting under 12 ftlbs with pellets .

often shoot this out to 120-130 yards with ZAN 21 gr slugs so accurate as well . I use this gun more than any other, including.25 impact , .22 lr , 17 HMR and sub 12 guns 

When I first applied for my FAC 2018 I had a open license straight of for .22 & .25 air after a few months put in variation for .22lr and 17 HMR  and asked if they would be opened as well , answer was can’t see why not . So ask for what you would like and you never know !!

Edited by villaman

I should get my 1 For 1 variation back for a .22 FAC airgun this week. 
i have put a deposit on a bsa r10 mk2. 
I have other rifles so they just added it on my ticket no questions asked but from what I can gather an FAC airgun is somewhat easier than a rimfire. As long as you can justify having it and you have sufficient land I’d say you should be ok. And if you can get experience pre application with an FAC airgun (with someone else who has one) or even a rimfire that might help your application. 

good luck with it all