So, I had another complaint about shooting today.

18 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Just remember if you clay shoot more than I think 12 days a year or 24 half days? Then you will need planning permission as it is change of use of the land, that and the noise could result in a complaint to the council rather than the police. Plenty of clubs and commercial grounds have had issue with noise in the past.

can you not shoot on a Saturday instead if they don’t like the noise on a Sunday?

For advice may be speak to the CPSA.

It's 28 days per annum, which is far more than what we do. 

I checked and the last shoot we had was 6 weeks ago and before that (not including a few rough shoots) was September. So it's hardly a regular thing in itself.

I think it's a daft rule though. Does it include solo clay shooting? Are they saying I could go out and shoot pigeons or rats every day or cardboard targets but not a handful of clays? Not that I would be doing any of those things mind. 

17 minutes ago, Wylye said:

You are allowed to shoot 28 days a year without planning permission. However, if someone complains to the local council about noise they are obliged to investigate and do some thing about it. Restrictions can quite easily be imposed.

Restrictions can be imposed but it is far from easy. Persistent nuisance has to be demonstrated, very difficult with a sporadic activity. 

Thanks for all the replies. 

One thing I'm doing is creating a diary of all the times I've held a clay shoot. I have my mother (who lives on the farm) to thank for a lot of it as she keeps a diary and has written down all of the shoots I've had going back to 2006. 

I'd say most years it's been eight occasions tops. 

I still don't get why whomever complained can't just come and speak to me. I and my family have a reputation for being very approachable and non-confrontational. Unless the complainant doesn't really know us. 

As I think I've already mentioned one thing sticks out to me: That on both occasions the police have contacted me we've been shooting from not our usual area. 

Most of the time we have the trap set up on a hill and we're down in a dip shooting away from the properties where I believe the complaints have most likely come from. They'll still here the shots but not as much as the area we shot from on Sunday (and in March 2019) which is on top of the hill, with the sound carrying further. (Though we only shot from there for 6 pairs each with four of us shooting and then moved to our usual area).

I've decided not to shoot from that area again and I'll see how it goes. It'll likely be at least another month before we have another shoot. 

Edited by Shadowchaser

These neighbours have not recently or last yr or two moved in have they as you hear reports of people moving into the countryside thinking it’s all quiet and peaceful more the other way round. Were we used to fly our model aircraft in a field the farmer sold some land of for houses next thing he knows is he can’t drive his tractor at certain times of the day because it disturbed the owners of the new houses lucky they were there because it was his land they lived on as such muppets. 

10 hours ago, millrace said:

Seriously if it was my farm ie my own ground i wouldnt be running telling anyone what i was doing....it aint there buisness!!!

Crack on make sure no shot falls near anyone or thing and dont go pandering to anyone!!....

Yeah! And spread some slurry near the houses.

5 hours ago, London Best said:

Well, that is poetic justice!

My pal has just started spreading slurry on the fields behind and alongside my house!

Aie...breath twice and your greedy !!  :lol:

My small plot is smack alongside the village and has a single house on the far side.  I occasionally check zero there but if I know I may need more than four or five shots I go to one of my farms.  Only had one question many moons ago when a neighbour rang the council to ask if I had permission to shoot there on a rifle range. The council contacted the police and the local copper(we had one back then) called me on the phone and I explained the situation and he said " No problem, carry on".  Not a peep from anyone since BUT I don't abuse it.

We did have one neighbour move in and complained about the pigeon banger, half a mile away and said it was upsetting her son when he visited because it reminded him of his service in Afganistan.  Did not get anywhere.

Edited by Walker570