Altering comb height

chesterse

I have an old Beretta 682 x trap with a montecarlo stock. The gun shoots too high and I spoke to a gunsmith about lowering the comb height. He surprised me by saying the best way would be to bend the stock down. I envisaged some wood being taken off the comb but he said this is not the correct approach.

Any thoughts on this? 
Plus if anyone has a spare standard 682 trap stock I would be interested.

Speaking as someone who needs a lot of drop on my stock (being taller than Mr average), I have been through this scenario a few times. I have learned that stockers don’t like bending - i.e persuading the stock downwards - by more than 4 or 5 mm. I have spoken to some of the best and they are cautious about the wood departing from the top strap and leaving a gap. They tend to prefer a combination of removing wood and bending if there is a lot of extra drop needed. These days I will only entertain buying a gun if it isn’t far off my required measurements. 

Also by the way,  if a lot of bend is applied this can alter the gun’s pitch. You then end up with a different problem. I would say visit a really good stocker and take their advice. 

If the stock is bent down, the comb will no longer be horizontal. It depends how much too high the comb is, but I would get the stock made adjustable. When the comb is cut out, material is removed and the stock will be lower than it was before. If that wouldn't be enough, I would get wood shaved from the comb.

I have had both Monte Carlo and standard trap stocks on a Beretta. The comb heights were the same, but the Monte Carlo sat lower in my shoulder.

Yes. Bend is to the barrels like the little hand of the clock to the big hand. That is to say of the little hand points below the "3" the big hand on the other side will point below the "9". If the little hand points above the "3" the big hand will point above the "3". So stock goes down = shot does down. Stock goes up = shot goes up.

Thanks for your replies guys. I was expecting taking about 3 mm off the comb would solve the problem. I’ve been trying to get my head around the gunsmith’s argument and I guess he was saying that taking wood off the comb would not alter where the pad sits in the shoulder so the head would go down to compensate.

However I can’t understand how they can bend the stock and still accommodate the stock bolt and of course there is also the question of as mentioned the pitch would be changed.

I think a standard trap stock would give me about the right height with the raised rib of the xtrap but they seem to be like hen’s teeth at the moment.

11 hours ago, chesterse said:

I guess he was saying that taking wood off the comb would not alter where the pad sits in the shoulder so the head would go down to compensate.

With this being a Monte Carlo, there must be a difference in where it sits in your shoulder compared to your Perazzi. IMHO the relationship between comb, rib, and eye has to be the most important one. 

If its a Monte Carlo stock then I see no reason why taking some off the top is a problem . 

I say this without seeing you so can only suggestions based on experience .

I also take it you are looking down on the rib as you say the gun shoots high , so lowering the comb should help ,this can be achieved by setting but this will only lower the heel and may not lower the " face " as much as you need , therefore taking wood off the comb is the best solution . Looking at the cast and length the angle of the butt end , the so called pitch , at the same time is advisable   ,as ,at risk of offence, your stance and mount   . To this I suggest a visit to an experienced stock fitter who after looking at you will be able to make recommendations .

NB  A stock fitter is not always a shooting instructor .It has been my unfortunate experience that some so called coaches have set opinions as to what they like and think its what you should like not what you need  . Not the same thing at all . 

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

With this being a Monte Carlo, there must be a difference in where it sits in your shoulder compared to your Perazzi. IMHO the relationship between comb, rib, and eye has to be the most important one. 

The Perazzi is also a Monte Carlo but flat rib.