Jump to content

Cost of purchasing shooting rights per acre


Recommended Posts

Hi all, does anyone know a rough price for buying exclusive shooting rights over land is per acre? I know this varies a lot with location, but I'm after a general ballpark - the land is about 650 acers in mid/south Wales including shooting, stalking and fishing rights. Also, does anyone know what rights you've got if you own just the shooting rights - I know you can take game etc., but what about habitat preservation? I'm not talking about cover crops necessarily, but I'd like to make sure the landowner doesn't turn round and cut down the woods and bulldoze the ponds/marshes to make bigger fields as soon as the purchase goes through! Many thanks! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have looked at some in the past (5 years ago) that included 5 acres of woodland that could be used for breeding pens. Land was around 200 acres and the price was £75000. This was in Herefordshire. There were no rights to do anything other than shoot over the land. Game and deer were solely down to the holder of the rights. Vermin control was a right of the land owner so may be done by a third party. The land owner had full right to change the land use as he saw fit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Jeremy Winters said:

Hi all, does anyone know a rough price for buying exclusive shooting rights over land is per acre? I know this varies a lot with location, but I'm after a general ballpark - the land is about 650 acers in mid/south Wales including shooting, stalking and fishing rights. Also, does anyone know what rights you've got if you own just the shooting rights - I know you can take game etc., but what about habitat preservation? I'm not talking about cover crops necessarily, but I'd like to make sure the landowner doesn't turn round and cut down the woods and bulldoze the ponds/marshes to make bigger fields as soon as the purchase goes through! Many thanks! 

If you want to tie things up in a formal let agreement - it will cost a fortune via agents and law firms. If possible strike up an informal agreement whereby the old fashioned ‘folding stuff’ changes pockets once or twice a year. There isn’t any tax liability on you and if game habitat is degraded you can walk away. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its value is, as others have said, is anything from a few pounds to thousands. Impossible to say without seeing the land, but I'll take a punt and say upwards of £500/acre plus VAT. Standard Sporting Rights give the owner no control over the land. If you want that you would need to have it tied up in the purchase agreement and expect to pay considerably more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/04/2022 at 14:44, CharlieT said:

Its value is, as others have said, is anything from a few pounds to thousands. Impossible to say without seeing the land, but I'll take a punt and say upwards of £500/acre plus VAT. Standard Sporting Rights give the owner no control over the land. If you want that you would need to have it tied up in the purchase agreement and expect to pay considerably more.

Thanks for the replies all, they’ve been helpful! Is the purchase of shooting rights subject to VAT then? I assumed it would be similar to the purchase of a property and so have no VAT implication, but perhaps a capital gain if they were ever resold for more…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Jeremy Winters said:

Thanks for the replies all, they’ve been helpful! Is the purchase of shooting rights subject to VAT then? I assumed it would be similar to the purchase of a property and so have no VAT implication, but perhaps a capital gain if they were ever resold for more…

The standard rate of VAT applies to the sale of sporting rights where those rights are sold away from the land, see VAT Notice 742 (6.1)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, deershooter said:

I pay £3:50 +vat an acre From local estate to rent for one year 

Sorry to the OP for hijacking this, but could you give a breakdown of what that covers? Type of land / topography, pens, how many acres, what quarry species, etc?

It would be really interesting to know - but off the top of my head it sounds like you have an absolute bargain on your hands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/04/2022 at 18:00, PeterHenry said:

Sorry to the OP for hijacking this, but could you give a breakdown of what that covers? Type of land / topography, pens, how many acres, what quarry species, etc?

It would be really interesting to know - but off the top of my head it sounds like you have an absolute bargain on your hands.

460 acres ,all game ducks pheasant partridge,hares vermin pigeons rabbits and muntjacs ,mixed grass land used for cattle,normal crops wheat barley osr small amount of woodland river runs through most , our own pens and we pay tennent farmer compensation for cover crop planting 3 by £90 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/04/2022 at 00:08, deershooter said:

460 acres ,all game ducks pheasant partridge,hares vermin pigeons rabbits and muntjacs ,mixed grass land used for cattle,normal crops wheat barley osr small amount of woodland river runs through most , our own pens and we pay tennent farmer compensation for cover crop planting 3 by £90 

👍 - sounds like a great deal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...