Rape in flower

Centrepin

Two fields of rape flowered yesterday but not a pigeon in sight. My perm is predominantly corvids with a  few odd woodies. 

The rape fields unfortunately are too far for me to walk unaided and a little much for my road car, especially the ford which is currently around 12 - 13" deep.

I walked as far as I'm able and set myself up under a known flight path, still no birds on the rape or even in the air but with a light wind picking up and the overcast sky I was reasonably confident.

7 full bodied decoys out I waited. Half hour and I saw 2 high birds, I called them in with the Acme caller and dropped 1. Dead bird as a decoy further out I managed to call in and kill 5 in 2 hours for 10 shots.

After taking a little tumble I realised my blood sugars were danger low(3.2) so ate some kendal mint cake and packed up.

Talking to the farmer before I left 4 crows landed on the grain silos and he invited me to shoot them off🙂 I don't like shooting in the farm yard for obvious reasons but if asked.....

1 crow 1 shot and the only pigeon I've seen today came out of a barn, quickly despatched with the second barrel, I rather impressed myself with that shot.🙄 Crop full of pig feed, so unsurprisingly there's none on the rape. 

Home for lunch and now an afternoon nap. Retirement certainly suits me😉

20220413_121613.jpg

5 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Two fields of rape flowered yesterday but not a pigeon in sight. My perm is predominantly corvids with a  few odd woodies. 

The rape fields unfortunately are too far for me to walk unaided and a little much for my road car, especially the ford which is currently around 12 - 13" deep.

I walked as far as I'm able and set myself up under a known flight path, still no birds on the rape or even in the air but with a light wind picking up and the overcast sky I was reasonably confident.

7 full bodied decoys out I waited. Half hour and I saw 2 high birds, I called them in with the Acme caller and dropped 1. Dead bird as a decoy further out I managed to call in and kill 5 in 2 hours for 10 shots.

After taking a little tumble I realised my blood sugars were danger low(3.2) so ate some kendal mint cake and packed up.

Talking to the farmer before I left 4 crows landed on the grain silos and he invited me to shoot them off🙂 I don't like shooting in the farm yard for obvious reasons but if asked.....

1 crow 1 shot and the only pigeon I've seen today came out of a barn, quickly despatched with the second barrel, I rather impressed myself with that shot.🙄 Crop full of pig feed, so unsurprisingly there's none on the rape. 

Home for lunch and now an afternoon nap. Retirement certainly suits me😉

20220413_121613.jpg

Nice write up and I totally agree it is way to far to lug any gear and if you are having problems with your legs then walking across to the rape is way out of the question .

My various estate cars have been pretty good over the years but since I got my last one , a Honda CRV it have saved me walking miles and have been possibly the most reliable motor I have had , I will soon be due for a change and whatever I get it will have to a all wheel drive , ideally , if I could afford it I would get a nice little motor for going about our normal duties , and then keep my present motor for going around the countryside chasing Pigeons and on the shoot days , we will decide if and when the right car come along 

11 hours ago, marsh man said:

Nice write up and I totally agree it is way to far to lug any gear and if you are having problems with your legs then walking across to the rape is way out of the question .

My various estate cars have been pretty good over the years but since I got my last one , a Honda CRV it have saved me walking miles and have been possibly the most reliable motor I have had , I will soon be due for a change and whatever I get it will have to a all wheel drive , ideally , if I could afford it I would get a nice little motor for going about our normal duties , and then keep my present motor for going around the countryside chasing Pigeons and on the shoot days , we will decide if and when the right car come along 

My brother in law and sister had a CRV for years and they are the worst drivers I know. The car had to be good to cope with them and it never let them down, fabulous car, I drove it a few times off road as he runs a small clay shoot and it was the "transport" for the gear.

I'm currently in a motability lease hybrid, 4x4 or at least awd - sort of, with 100% road tyres so need to be careful as the back swings out in mud and getting stuck isn't an option when I'm on my own.

Given the chance and choice I'd have another Volvo or maybe a Subaru forester although I hear the Dacia duster is pretty good just a little small.