Proper smoked bacon

B725

I have been to Newark today mainly just to buy their smoked bacon, they do it themselves in the basement using oak wood chip and have been doing so since the 1870s .it's the only place I know that does it not like the chemical treated pretend smoked bacon. We also had an hour in the museum with a bit of a guided tour which was interesting as is Newark it's self with all the old buildings and tiny narrow street's. 

G H Porter butcher's shop, I'm not sure what I paid just for the bacon as I also bought other items, my mate had 1kg of triple smoked bacon and that was £14.

Forgot to say they now post out the foodstuff. 

Edited by B725

14 hours ago, B725 said:

I have been to Newark today mainly just to buy their smoked bacon, they do it themselves in the basement using oak wood chip and have been doing so since the 1870s .it's the only place I know that does it not like the chemical treated pretend smoked bacon. We also had an hour in the museum with a bit of a guided tour which was interesting as is Newark it's self with all the old buildings and tiny narrow street's. 

Blimey!!  Didn't know it took that long.  🤣

When I used to fish the Trent regularly I always called into that shop on the way home for the bacon. 

When the fishing went into decline I even drove from Sheffield to Newark a couple of times, took the wife and had a day out.

The smell from that one shop used to drift round for a couple of streets and make your mouth water.

Apparently the shop was on the new TV comedy Newark Newark recently although as I rarely watch TV I didn't see it.

23 hours ago, rimfire4969 said:

A quick search and found their website. They do national deliveries going to order some bacon, sausages and a few other bits to see what they are like.

Thanks for the heads up.

Let me know what you think of what you bought, I go a few times a year, I tried the pork sausage and it's probably the nicest I had. 

Following B725's recommendation, I ordered, online, some bacon, both smoked and unsmoked and gluten-free sausage meat and gf sausages (my wife is gf).

It all arrived via ParcelForce yesterday, so last night's tea was an exceptional bacon sarnie and today's lunch, sausage and mash.

To be honest, the Black Farmer gf sausages are more to our taste, but the bacon was really, really good.

No scum in the pan and the smell as it was frying was wonderful.

Is it worth the carriage cost? Yes, I think so for the bacon and next time we will try their pork chops.

It's incredibly easy to do yourself. I do a fair bit each year. 

If your interested - get a pork loin or whatever bit you want to make bacon from. Purchase the cure from amazon or make your won from a recipe freely available on the net. 

Cure the meat as per the instructions which basically means putting it in a bag with the cure and shaking it before putting in the fridge, turning each day for about a week. Then wash off and leave to dry in the fridge for a few hours. 

Purchase a smoker of amazon for about a tenner. Mine looks like an over engineered peanut feeder. Put some wood chip in(also amazon but other places sell it). 

A cardboard box or metal bin with a hole in the top and bottom will suffice,  fix your soon to be smoked bacon on a skewer  light the top of the smoker, get it going all nice and smokey and put it in. 

Go away for 4 hrs before taking the meat out, back in the fridge for a few hours to firm and then slice. All in its 30 minutes of effort and a week of waiting, costs pennies in comparison and taste amazing.

17 hours ago, GingerCat said:

It's incredibly easy to do yourself. I do a fair bit each year. 

If your interested - get a pork loin or whatever bit you want to make bacon from. Purchase the cure from amazon or make your won from a recipe freely available on the net. 

Cure the meat as per the instructions which basically means putting it in a bag with the cure and shaking it before putting in the fridge, turning each day for about a week. Then wash off and leave to dry in the fridge for a few hours. 

Purchase a smoker of amazon for about a tenner. Mine looks like an over engineered peanut feeder. Put some wood chip in(also amazon but other places sell it). 

A cardboard box or metal bin with a hole in the top and bottom will suffice,  fix your soon to be smoked bacon on a skewer  light the top of the smoker, get it going all nice and smokey and put it in. 

Go away for 4 hrs before taking the meat out, back in the fridge for a few hours to firm and then slice. All in its 30 minutes of effort and a week of waiting, costs pennies in comparison and taste amazing.

A few years back I put on a post with photos about curing your own bacon. I will see if I can find it. and add it to this thread.