Northern Shooting Show (Harrogate)

macca2017

• 3 weeks later...

Just down the road 30 mins ! me and shooting buddy  plan to shoot the clay comp on Sunday for a laugh ! Loser has to buy the coffee and sausage roll.

shooting buddy is BASC so he if free and a £10 for him to get me a ticket 

anyone who’s not had a go the black powder 4 / 6 bore is a fantastic giggle!

bought odds and **** over the years good selection of footwear that you can try.

nice to drool at guns I will never likely to be able to afford !

would really like a nice 16bore but can’t really justify one.

Agriv8 

Went along today and as first outing since Covid very enjoyable. Fewer stands than usual and busy first thing but no trouble getting in. Three hundred mile round trip for me but bumped into a few people I know and had some good discussions about the future of our sport (for other threads). Given it was free as a BASC member well worth the visit. Bought a few odds and ends that were well priced but nothing major so the management both at home and the bank will be happy!

11 hours ago, Diver One said:

Went today, left disappointed. Wanted to get a Pard007V. Only stand with one, and it was ONE!, was NVUK and it was a 16mm and I wanted a 12mm

lots of visitors but it just seemed a bit disjointed

I think everyone is getting back into fairs after the break so wasn’t surprised at sized stalls. Guess quite a few have gone out of business and some that just won’t do fairs anymore more. It was just good to be out amongst like minded people.

Went today and shot clay line ( badly ) no black powder !

enjoyed the day out bought a new training dummy for the dog . A tin of .22 pellets. Got a freebie basc hat

enjoyed  being out met a few people not seen for a while

but £6 for a pint is a new one for me ! 

worth a £10 er to get in but wouldn’t want to pay much more .

Not sure I’d go next year ( especially not if it’s my round again ) But if I needed new shooting gear / clothing possibly yes !

a lot quieter than last time it was on !

Agriv8 

Had a look down yesterday and arrived for opening, and never having been before really enjoyed it. 
We had a breakfast then made our way to the main hall, and for a gun nut like me it was fabulous! It was wonderful to discover some quite niche sporting elements and obscure societies were not only still out there but actually thriving! 
I had the craic with a very nice bloke representing Practical Shooting Supplies, who wouldn’t let me pass his stall without trying out a Bobcat lever-action shotgun for whom they are the official importers. It handle very well actually and seemed a lot of fun, and the 13.5” barrelled version looked just the ticket for a drive by!
I bought a red extended cocking handle for my self loader from him; didn’t need one, just wanted to add a bit of cool looking bling to the Benelli to match the red choke! 🙂

Was having a chat to a nice bloke from Brandecosse, but was interrupted by a bloke who butted in to tell him they wouldn’t last a season on the moors without that rubber welt extending completely around the boot, so just wandered off. 
Got the chance to handle another high rib Blaser F3 SuperSport which is a superb looking bit of kit in my opinion, and lovely wood, but the finish ( which appeared to be varnish ) was abysmal; my old 1980’s Remington 3200 has a better varnished finish! At a price tag of just under 10k I wouldn’t settle for that particular gun. 
Mate bought a very expensive ‘scope ( as always ) and was given a complimentary rucksack which came in handy for carrying bits in! 
The Cheshire Gunroom must have brought their entire stock! Hundreds of firearms of all types! Their stand was heaving to the point it was hard work getting round it and reluctantly we gave up halfway round! 
Picked up a very nice raised rib Browning from the Westlands stall which came up bang on the button. Shame about the gold trigger but you can’t have everything! I’ve seen this one in the shop back at their base, and have been told I can take it for a few shots if I want, but have resisted up to now. 
It was good to see Westlake Engineering still on the go ( I hate politicians! ) and an old boy with an excruciatingly nice display of classic self loaders, among them a C96 Bolo complete with its wooden holster/shoulder stock,  gorgeous M1910 Bergman, what looked like a Roth-Steyr, a 1911 A1 and a Thompson! 
Gilsan had an impressive display, of which a few very very nice Mirokus caught my eye. There was a G5 Mk38 with a complete set of slim Teagues, and another with a complete set of Brileys. They’re less than an hour from me which is too close for comfort really, but we’ll see. 
Fortis had some fabulous gear for sale as usual, and as nice as it was, 160 quid for a gilet is just ridiculous I’m afraid. 
Thought it was about time I bought some shooting glasses, so tret myself to a four lens set from Evolution. 
Longthorne had some exquisite looking side and box locks, including one with titanium barrels, but the stall of the day for me was that of Bolt Open Classics. I may have appeared a drooling idiot as I spotted one beauty after another…..SMLE, No4, Mauser K98, Krag, Gewehr 88 and 98, Ross, P14 and 17 and all manner of Sporterised No4’s both in .303 and 7.62 or .308.  It just went on and on! I think the only ones I couldn’t see was the No5 and. Springfield 1903, but maybe I just missed them. 
He had black powder pistols and rifles,  and really nice collection of ‘black’ .22rf rifles you could just have a whale of time with! Glorious. 
Chatting to him revealed he knows a cousin of mine who in his day was a bigger gun nut than me. 
I intend in the future to pay his shop a visit. 
Holts and Ryedale Auctioneers with ‘him off the telly’, had some very nice pieces; the former displaying a very nice Winchester 1887/1901 lever action shotgun and the latter amongst others a nice Colt 1849 ( I had one many moons ago, all matching numbers too ) and a Colt-Walker Dragoon. 
There were oodles and oodles more  bits and pieces to drool over and I was in my element. Got away by the skin of my teeth without buying yet another knife! 
Had a quick gander round the new yet to be released Grenadier; it will appeal to many I reckon, but it does nothing for me. BASC had stands everywhere inside and out, and all the main orgs were represented, and all seemed busy and amiable whenever we ambled past. 

Went on Saturday, enjoyed the day out and people I met but show was poor compared to previous years. Kept bumping into fellow club members who were complaining they had pockets of cash and couldn't find anything to spend it on!! I think out of 15 of us, I was the only one who bought anything shooting related - lead bullets from Shellhouse Bullet Co.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Thanks for posting, Scully.
How on earth did you remember that lot? You must have made notes as you went round!

Thankyou. No, no notes, just grew up with a passion for small arms and militaria. I think that if you’ve a genuine interest or passion for something, you just absorb it sponge like. 🤷‍♂️

18 minutes ago, Lever357 said:

Went on Saturday, enjoyed the day out and people I met but show was poor compared to previous years. Kept bumping into fellow club members who were complaining they had pockets of cash and couldn't find anything to spend it on!! I think out of 15 of us, I was the only one who bought anything shooting related - lead bullets from Shellhouse Bullet Co.

That’s a genuine shame; I could have spent a fortune in there! 🙂

“Was having a chat to a nice bloke from Brandecosse, but was interrupted by a bloke who butted in to tell him they wouldn’t last a season on the moors without that rubber welt extending completely around the boot, so justwandered off. “

shame your chat was interrupted they are lovely people. That guy knows chuff all. My boots have no rubber around them and have four hard years under their belt and still going strong!

36 minutes ago, Scully said:

Thankyou. No, no notes, just grew up with a passion for small arms and militaria. I think that if you’ve a genuine interest or passion for something, you just absorb it sponge like. 🤷‍♂️

That’s a genuine shame; I could have spent a fortune in there! 🙂

Exactly Scully!!! You would have had to have spent a fortune to actually purchase anything at the show.

You are dead right about Fortis - I have a few of their jackets and over trousers and fancied the new gilet when I saw it - but not at £160!!!! And even more so when they was a jacket near it for a few quid more.

10 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

“Was having a chat to a nice bloke from Brandecosse, but was interrupted by a bloke who butted in to tell him they wouldn’t last a season on the moors without that rubber welt extending completely around the boot, so justwandered off. “

shame your chat was interrupted they are lovely people. That guy knows chuff all. My boots have no rubber around them and have four hard years under their belt and still going strong!

Yes, we were having a good chat, seemed a nice bloke. I knew the boots are made in Italy but didn’t know their depot is in Kendal, even closer! 🙂

10 hours ago, Lever357 said:

Exactly Scully!!! You would have had to have spent a fortune to actually purchase anything at the show.

You are dead right about Fortis - I have a few of their jackets and over trousers and fancied the new gilet when I saw it - but not at £160!!!! And even more so when they was a jacket near it for a few quid more.

😀 Depends what you want really I suppose. There were gilets for 30 quid on one of the outside stalls, but if you want quality you can’t really expect it to be cheap; 160 quid is taking the pee though admittedly. I’ve bought loads of Fortis gear in the past, when it was CC mostly, and it is good gear. Years later and it’s still going strong; you won’t get that from a 30 quid garment. 
My shooting glasses were 50 quid, but I could have paid much much more for them. 
Quality shooting related gear has always been expensive;  I never go to this sort of event looking for bargains, in my opinion they just don’t exist. 
However, I did get a free goody bag from Westlands……containing ****! 

10% discount voucher though! Might come in handy in their cafe cos bacon sarnies and coffee ain’t cheap nowadays either! 😀 

I went and enjoyed the day out, the Grenadier was a bit of a beast, i'd not have lasted 5 minutes driving that without crashing into someone or something, the knobs, dials and switches on the ceiling panel above the centre console would be far too much of a distraction for me, and at £58k i will need to save up a bit more. 

I splashed out on the Hospitality tickets, and dont regret spending the extra, parked 100mtr from the entrance free Tea, coffee all day, lunch and a glass of wine. 

I went on Saturday it was my first time at the show enjoyed the chat with a few lads I met picked up a few bits and pieces.just a heads up I bought two coffees off the van opposite the restaurant they were a bit over priced I thought but to be expected the wife asked if had ordered Uber eats I said I wouldn’t know how to there was a payment of £22 pending I told her I only paid for coffees with my card as they were only taking card payment the coffees were about £6.50 I anyone  who got something off the van check your account as I think I paid for the person in front of me just a heads up lads thanks