Home made Cornish pasties.

Dave-G

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

That pastry looks delicious. What was your filling? 

Chopped turnip, chopped spud and chopped onion, salt and pepper with Tesco's finest Aberdeen Angus mince. And for mine, a splash of HP brown sauce over the filling before wrapping it up in Tesco's ready rolled shortcrust pastry. :)

Yes folding the crimp is not my strong point either. I wanted the dog to get some of the excess filling but no it went in the bin because he gets 'proper' dog food. :lookaround:

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Looks very nice.  It may be quite wrong (but I like it), but I use peas, potato, carrots and swede - and like you use mince and ready rolled pastry, sometimes puff pastry.  A splash of Worcester sauce (it is my local sauce after all) for me.

me to but i leave the peas out.....(plenty of swede)..and i use tinned baby carotts..

They look pretty good. Might I make a suggestion to really up your Pastie game though!And that is to make your own (Rough puff pastry) It is pretty straight forward and no were near as time consuming as full on puff pastry and will beat any shop bought type

The chunks/pieces of cold butter really make for a delicious  texture and taste when baked.

I use Andy Bates recipe and the first made his a decade or more ago. With the addition of ribeye steak and a sharp cheddar or blue cheese they were unreal and I've made them several times. I also made a few fish pasties based on Rick Stein recipes.

I think the secret to a good crimp is cold pastry and too work as fast as possible. I'm pretty useless at it, but who cares if they taste good.

Just now, billytheghillie said:

not a real pasty, made with mince? should be skirt of beef.

You are quite right ....... but my pasty isn't 'Cornish' and I prefer both the convenience and availability of mince, just as I put in veggies I have to hand, usually including (frozen) peas. 

@Dave-G great minds must think alike! The kids and I were heading up Pendle Hill for a walk on Thursday so we made pasties on Wednesday.  I’ve never made them before but followed a recipe from a well known Cornish pasty maker I have in a Rick Stein book.  They were lovely. Although I must admit they could have done with a bit more black pepper.   The pastry wasn't too much of a pin to make either.  Tasted great sat on top of the hill.

6DE36E84-7E1C-4C03-9DAE-FD1FB7DE22DD.jpeg

E1EF421B-50B5-43E2-A757-89DC091720DF.jpeg

84318FF4-75B0-4705-996B-C4310C611D6D.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Gameking said:

Jonty

Could you please post the recipe or pm me with it - would love to try these.

GK

Gladly, I will photo it and post in a couple of minutes, if they’re no good, get back in touch and I’ll get a PDF of it emailed to you 

@Gameking here you go, I hope this is ok for you, if not let me know.  The recipe is for Anne Mullers pasties, she has a well known business making them apparently.  I wouldn’t peel all the potatoes at first - I had a lot left over, and also don’t be shy on the salt and especially pepper, I was a little cautious and they could have done with more.

6325D8D3-7B1A-402B-8CE7-0A67087BBED8.jpeg

DD755A19-24F8-423C-9734-E0D31BC1A386.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Jonty said:

Gladly, I will photo it and post in a couple of minutes, if they’re no good, get back in touch and I’ll get a PDF of it emailed to you 

@Gameking here you go, I hope this is ok for you, if not let me know.  The recipe is for Anne Mullers pasties, she has a well known business making them apparently.  I wouldn’t peel all the potatoes at first - I had a lot left over, and also don’t be shy on the salt and especially pepper, I was a little cautious and they could have done with more.

6325D8D3-7B1A-402B-8CE7-0A67087BBED8.jpeg

DD755A19-24F8-423C-9734-E0D31BC1A386.jpeg

Jonty

Fabulous, very many thanks - I think I remember seeing this on one of his programmes with the lady concerned.

Butchers Tuesday for ' skirt ' 😁

9 minutes ago, Gameking said:

Jonty

Fabulous, very many thanks - I think I remember seeing this on one of his programmes with the lady concerned.

Butchers Tuesday for ' skirt ' 😁

Good stuff! I hope you enjoy them - don’t scrimp on the pepper!