Home made Cornish pasties.

Dave-G

18 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

After making the comment earlier in the thread that I use swede not turnip, I was interested to read in the photos that swede is known as turnip in Cornwall.

John, I’ve always called them turnips just because my mum always did - it winds the wife up, so I obviously continue to do so 😀

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Gameking said:

Jonty

quick question on recipe / quantities

You got 5 pasties out of that as per your picture ? ( thinking of making  a batch up )

GK - the 2 oh the LHS are cheese and onion made with just margarine only pastry for the pesky vegetarian in our house.  I followed the quantities exactly in the recipe and made 4 big pasties , we then had enough pastry left from both batches to cobble together another smaller ‘test’ pasty that didn’t survive for more than 10 minutes out of the oven.  I think the quantities in the recipes are very generous but I guess once you’ve made a few you’d get better at stuffing more filling in them.

4 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Jonty, did you get the idea of using pastry to identify two of them from Philps pasties in Hayle?

They mark their Premier steak ones like that.

I’ve never isle that shop but it sounds like I should.  I insisted that my daughter put PV on her pasties, it stands for Pesky Vegetarian in our house - just to ensure I didn’t get a nasty shock or disappointment when biting into one 😀.

Edited by Jonty

• 1 month later...

the only decent pasty i have ever tasted was bought in cornwall at a little village shop.....and it was a big one as well............i do eat pasties elsewhere but they always taste full of herbs and spices....which is just not right.....just a bit of peppar and loads of chipped vedge and meat and gravy (not too much) in a shorcrust pastry is all that is needed...

the only weird pasty i used to eat ...which you dont see now is pork apple stuffing and vedge ........always had one to take to work ...very tasty

On 18/04/2022 at 18:25, Jonty said:

I’ve never isle that shop but it sounds like I should.  I insisted that my daughter put PV on her pasties, it stands for Pesky Vegetarian in our house - just to ensure I didn’t get a nasty shock or disappointment when biting into one 😀.

My Mrs always uses pastry 'symbols' like this.- She does not like kidney, so when making venison and kidney or beef steak and kidney pie she puts stars or similar on the right hand side of the pie and I have the left with the kidneys in 😁

See attached picture of Roe and Kidney pie ❤️

IMG_20210302_185913_resized_20210303_110542028 roe&kidney pie2.jpg

Look brill some of those well done. I have tried a lot over the years and theirs probly 3 that stand out & two are still being sold one at a butchers & the other at a bakery in the same town. They are sweet so to me that says swede & carrot  but am no baker, i work with animals.

Ask anyone who lives or spends a lot of time in Cornwall who does the best Pasty and you will get as many opinions as people asked but most from the smaller bakeries and certainly not ginsters. At the moment Mary's out of Grampound Road are top of my list. The ingredients for a Cornish Pasty are simple, beef skirt diced or minced, potato, turnip (swede), onion, salt & pepper. That's it, anything else added and its not a Cornish Pasty. 

www.cornishpastyassociation.co.uk

12 minutes ago, rimfire4969 said:

Ask anyone who lives or spends a lot of time in Cornwall who does the best Pasty and you will get as many opinions as people asked but most from the smaller bakeries and certainly not ginsters. At the moment Mary's out of Grampound Road are top of my list. The ingredients for a Cornish Pasty are simple, beef skirt diced or minced, potato, turnip (swede), onion, salt & pepper. That's it, anything else added and its not a Cornish Pasty. 

www.cornishpastyassociation.co.uk

that sounds excaltly how i like it.................Ginsters are utter carp...just full of herbs and spices which is soooo wrong.....LESS IS MORE

31 minutes ago, rimfire4969 said:

That's it, anything else added and its not a Cornish Pasty.

Whilst I agree completely with the above, ......

18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

just full of herbs and spices which is soooo wrong

I actually like herb and spice flavours (nutmeg or mace with pork, a bit of horseradish in with minced beef, rosemary with lamb and both chilli and Worcester sauce with many things), in most savoury things (like sausage rolls, pasties, pies), though I agree they are not authentic for a Cornish pasty, I do find them good to eat.  I'm not a big fan of Ginster's at all, but do add a some herbs and spices to my home-made pasties.

32 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Whilst I agree completely with the above, ......

I actually like herb and spice flavours (nutmeg or mace with pork, a bit of horseradish in with minced beef, rosemary with lamb and both chilli and Worcester sauce with many things), in most savoury things (like sausage rolls, pasties, pies), though I agree they are not authentic for a Cornish pasty, I do find them good to eat.  I'm not a big fan of Ginster's at all, but do add a some herbs and spices to my home-made pasties.

im going to have a go at making my own homemade cornish pasties (apologies to cornwall)

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

that sounds excaltly how i like it.................Ginsters are utter carp...just full of herbs and spices which is soooo wrong.....LESS IS MORE

Ginsters used to make really nice pasties .  They were proper large  cornish pasties , filled with real meat , and a thick rolled edge(crust) , they were very peppery , and were delicious.  The updated ( last 15 years )ginsters pasties are utter cack . They're just greasy pastry , with that pink/grey mushy paste inside , and loads of herbs to compensate for having no real flavour . 

11 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Ginsters used to make really nice pasties .  They were proper large  cornish pasties , filled with real meat , and a thick rolled edge(crust) , they were very peppery , and were delicious.  The updated ( last 15 years )ginsters pasties are utter cack . They're just greasy pastry , with that pink/grey mushy paste inside , and loads of herbs to compensate for having no real flavour . 

I'm glad you have said that.  Years ago I used to like them - and as you say, peppery and 'you could see what you were eating' as it was a large size 'chop' for the ingredients - cubes of meat, swede etc..  I tried one more recently and was very disappointed and assumed it was just my memory 'boosting' the good points from the earlier ones or mixing it up with something else.

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

I'm glad you have said that.  Years ago I used to like them - and as you say, peppery and 'you could see what you were eating' as it was a large size 'chop' for the ingredients - cubes of meat, swede etc..  I tried one more recently and was very disappointed and assumed it was just my memory 'boosting' the good points from the earlier ones or mixing it up with something else.

I've only ever had a couple of the new ginsters pasties,  and they're utterly awful . They're more like a cheap and nasty sausage roll.

The old style ginsters pasties were my Saturday lunchtime hangover cure 😄.

23 hours ago, Dave-G said:

They be proper wonky one's - practice will see Improvements that come with experience. Bet they'll taste great.

I have had a stern word with the catering manager after your comments and she has vowed to try harder !

I have, of course, deducted two shillings from her housekeeping this week to make sure she is more vigilant with the next batch. You are correct though, in that they taste great 😋

IMG_20220618_124643_resized_20220618_012441375 pasties cut open june 2022.jpg

2 hours ago, Gameking said:

I have had a stern word with the catering manager after your comments and she has vowed to try harder !

I have, of course, deducted two shillings from her housekeeping this week to make sure she is more vigilant with the next batch. You are correct though, in that they taste great 😋

IMG_20220618_124643_resized_20220618_012441375 pasties cut open june 2022.jpg

Brave man!

If I criticised the catering chez nous, I would be on bread and water for the rest of the week. 🤣