Home made Cornish pasties.

Dave-G

2 hours ago, Gameking said:

I have had a stern word with the catering manager after your comments and she has vowed to try harder !

I have, of course, deducted two shillings from her housekeeping this week to make sure she is more vigilant with the next batch. You are correct though, in that they taste great 😋

IMG_20220618_124643_resized_20220618_012441375 pasties cut open june 2022.jpg

We always have two choices at mealtimes.  You can either eat it , or leave it 😁.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I tried the pasty recipe on page 1 of this thread (the Anne Muller one).  I have to admit to being a bit mystified by the quantities because there is 3 1/2 lbs+ of filling (not including the pastry) for only four pasties, so they are going to weigh in at over a pound each including pastry!  Enough to give a medical man a heart attack!  A Ginsters 'large' is only 1/2 lb complete.

Anyway - I went ahead, but using Jus-Rol ready made pastry as I'm not a big pastry maker.  Two packs of Jus-Rol easily make the 4 x 8 1/2" pastry circles needed by the recipe. 

I diced 1 lb of beef into roughly 1/4" cubes.  Then chopped 1/2 lb of onions, then next using a Kenwood dicer attachment (great but a real pain to wash up!) 3/4 of lb of swede and 1 1/2 lb of potatoes (3 3/4 lbs of filling) diced into 1/4" cubes.  It was several bowls of filling.

Next I rolled out 4 x 8 1/2" circles of pastry and following the instructions - added the filling and seasoning.  It very quickly became clear that there was FAR too much filling.  Solution - more pastry - so raided the freezer and popped another pack in the microwave to thaw.

Despite packing the pasties to bursting point (literally in some cases).  The end result was;

8 (found another not in the picture as it wouldn't fit on the rack) large pasties, and a decent sized bowl of mash (from the surplus potatoes and swede).  I have not tasted yet as they are cooling right now.

IMG_3359.jpeg

Edited by JohnfromUK
It was 8 not 7!

bet they are delious................think the pastry is a little too thin tho...:good:

might be an idea to put a small bowl of water in the oven when you are cooking the next batch....the filling looks spot on 

Edited by ditchman

17 minutes ago, ditchman said:

bet they are delious................think the pastry is a little too thin tho...:good:

might be an idea to put a small bowl of water in the oven when you are cooking the next batch....the filling looks spot on 

I prefer the pastry a bit 'light', but I was trying to stretch it over the 'bulging' contents!  Out of 8, three burst, but that can be put right next time.  I plan on MUCH less potato 3/4 lb not 1 1/2 lb and making 6 or maybe 7 pasties.  I think I can get 6 from 2 packs of Jus-Rol.

A few extra veg, a dollop of bubble and squeak and a glass of Beaujolais - and it was very tasty.  Next time I shall also season a bit more, but the filling was nice, cooked through and the meat (Ocado diced beef which I further diced smaller) nice and tender.  I also added a bit of beef gravy.

IMG_3360.jpeg

5 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Today I tried the pasty recipe on page 1 of this thread (the Anne Muller one).  I have to admit to being a bit mystified by the quantities because there is 3 1/2 lbs+ of filling (not including the pastry) for only four pasties, so they are going to weigh in at over a pound each including pastry!  Enough to give a medical man a heart attack!  A Ginsters 'large' is only 1/2 lb complete.

Anyway - I went ahead, but using Jus-Rol ready made pastry as I'm not a big pastry maker.  Two packs of Jus-Rol easily make the 4 x 8 1/2" pastry circles needed by the recipe. 

I diced 1 lb of beef into roughly 1/4" cubes.  Then chopped 1/2 lb of onions, then next using a Kenwood dicer attachment (great but a real pain to wash up!) 3/4 of lb of swede and 1 1/2 lb of potatoes (3 3/4 lbs of filling) diced into 1/4" cubes.  It was several bowls of filling.

Next I rolled out 4 x 8 1/2" circles of pastry and following the instructions - added the filling and seasoning.  It very quickly became clear that there was FAR too much filling.  Solution - more pastry - so raided the freezer and popped another pack in the microwave to thaw.

Despite packing the pasties to bursting point (literally in some cases).  The end result was;

8 (found another not in the picture as it wouldn't fit on the rack) large pasties, and a decent sized bowl of mash (from the surplus potatoes and swede).  I have not tasted yet as they are cooling right now.

IMG_3359.jpeg

I'm drooling 🤤

• 1 month later...

Well I made this very recipe today, and have to say they were superb. I added some butchers mince to mine ''not traditional'' bit hey ho! I used some quality beef, a half a Spanish onion, potatoes and turnip, as it is called here also 

Now any passionate cook who is serious about and wants a quality end product,will make their own pastry.I said it before and I'll say it again, that homemade pastry beats anything shop bought. With the exception of puff and filo pastry, most others- shortcrust/hot water crust and rough puff are all pretty basic and straight forward and not really time consuming.

I usually use a ''rough puff'' for my pastys and although delicious it is hard to work with with all the pieces of butter and you need to be quick. I have to say the pastry in this recipe was the highlight. Absolutely delicious and easy to work with. The lard definitely is the key ingredient here as far as taste goes. I highly recommend this recipe.👍

Edited by SuperGoose75

8 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Good for you, I can't get as much filling in 'round' cut pastry - so next time I'll be rolling the round a bit longer to make it oval with more space for the filling.

You are not alone in that.  I really struggled with the 'official' recipe to get all of the filling into the pastry - to the extent that the filling made twice as many pasties as the original recipe specified - and they were generously filled (and very nice).

9 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Good for you, I can't get as much filling in 'round' cut pastry - so next time I'll be rolling the round a bit longer to make it oval with more space for the filling.

Yeah I do the exact same thing. The above recipe is for 6 pasty's but I only got 5 out of it. I used a bowl around the 20cm mark to cut them out, but then rolled them bigger and slightly thinner, yet still thick enough to work with and strong enough to keep the filling enclosed. I used a pizza cutter to tidy up the crimp end and to make a neat semi circle again before attempting to crimp (which I was pants at). I then used the cutter to put a few slices across the top of the pasty.

I'm not attempting to hijack your thread,but rather add to it. If you ever have a go at making the pastry, you won't be disappointed.

1 hour ago, rimfire4969 said:

Every time I read this thread I have to head down the village and get a Pastie, mind you it does not take much. One of the shops sells Pasties from the St Agnes Bakery and they are in my opinion the best out of about 8 different makes for sale locally.

Similar amount in Hayle, Philps being the best IMO with about 30 minutes queue at peak times, and likely many other local bakeries all over Cornwall.

21 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Similar amount in Hayle, Philps being the best IMO with about 30 minutes queue at peak times, and likely many other local bakeries all over Cornwall.

I do like a Philps one of my favourites. No one does them around here so I always grab a couple when down your way well worth the weight (time and gain)

Edited by rimfire4969

We make and sell about 40 pasties a day as part of our bakery, Fish, veg curry and meat, I make the fillings and my wife the pastry, the fillings for the fish include, cod/haddock, onion leeks, potato and fresh tarragon, the veg curry pasties mix is very similar to a samosa, I use diced skirt, onion neeps and potato with plenty of coarse pepper in the meat pasty, we sell them hot, for me a pasty is the ultimate fast food takeaway ..pasty.jpg.d60e0ff146242d27a24c54bc120bd357.jpg

Edited by islandgun

On 12/08/2022 at 12:34, islandgun said:

Outer Hebrides..😀

On 12/08/2022 at 07:33, amateur said:

Could still be worth the ferry, I’m up at the Kyle of Tongue stalking and holidaying next week. 

So could swing by on the way back down, not often you’re a relative ‘southerner’ 

2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Could still be worth the ferry, I’m up at the Kyle of Tongue stalking and holidaying next week. 

So could swing by on the way back down, not often you’re a relative ‘southerner’ 

I think you might struggle to swing by [ the ferries are problematic ] anyway you would certainly get a pasty or two if you can find your way here..👍

• 4 weeks later...