Cuckoo.

twenty

Not heard a cuckoo yet this season, but I have heard the curlews that move in in the spring to (try and) breed.  Sadly, there is so much dog walking that I don't think they bred there last year.  I have suggested to the owners (who are very conservation minded) about a notice on the gate to keep out due to ground nesting birds.

7 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Not heard a cuckoo yet this season, but I have heard the curlews that move in in the spring to (try and) breed.  Sadly, there is so much dog walking that I don't think they bred there last year.  I have suggested to the owners (who are very conservation minded) about a notice on the gate to keep out due to ground nesting birds.

Could try stock fencing  around nest site, set upside down (bigger spacings down), would allow  Curlew to walk through. 

16 minutes ago, twenty said:

Could try stock fencing  around nest site, set upside down (bigger spacings down), would allow  Curlew to walk through. 

The owners are a big (for these parts) estate with an 'inbuilt' conservation trust, and do look after it well.  I don't know where in the 40 acres or so they are nesting (if at all).  There are no stock in there and they take a (very late) cut of grass after breeding is complete.  One of their people said he though the nest was actually on the other side of the river, so that may be so.  They breed successfully in several other places locally along the river system, but I don't think they managed it here last year.

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Heard mine yesterday, plus saw my first swallow.

Heard my first one on BH Monday last week, not too far from you, near Godmersham. Didn't see any swallows or house martins though, which usually nest at the same locale and seen by now ☹️

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ditchman said:

havnt heard a cuckoo for 5 years now...........i really miss the call...its like a punctuation mark in the year

That really saddens me, it was one of my fondest memories as a child, it was so common I'd hear them constantly. I bet we've lost more than we realise, as its only when someone points something that's missing out, that I notice it's gone. 

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

havnt heard a cuckoo for 5 years now...........i really miss the call...its like a punctuation mark in the year

Well it's your fault you should have stayed around the Yare valley in stead of going up North and having the Royal family as some of your neighbours  , heard one today and it was that calm you would have heard it while sitting outside the Cantley Cock with a nice glass of the finest Red in your hand.😋 

1 minute ago, marsh man said:

Well it's your fault you should have stayed around the Yare valley in stead of going up North and having the Royal family as some of your neighbours  , heard one today and it was that calm you would have heard it while sitting outside the Cantley Cock with a nice glass of the finest Red in your hand.😋 

well im nor sad anymore........just had a text and an e-mail saying that i have a premium bond win...........my first mth ...wooowww...:ernyha:

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

well im nor sad anymore........just had a text and an e-mail saying that i have a premium bond win...........my first mth ...wooowww...:ernyha:

Well I never , they always said it was , Better to born lucky than to be born rich , mind you . it would be better to be born both . Congratulation's:drinks: