Works parties and putting something back into the sport

nic

Yet again we are coming to the time of the year when clubs will be having works parties and clean up meets.  

It always amazes me how small a percentage of the membership bother to attend and put something back into the sport.

These works create a lot of good publicity and good feeling amongst land owners and landlords and facilitate a lot of fowling to take place.

Why then is it always the same few faces that turn up?

I know some clubs give very little notice which causes issues but others give weeks or months of notice.

perhaps it is just another show of the apathy that effects a lot of aspects of the shooting sports.

I am very very fortunate that many of our guns do turn up - not just them but beaters too !

We go out together - to football / bowling / the pub too and have a little community

However - we do get a few who dont turn up - all i try and do is get them to do something else positive - like make bird boxes / or refreshments on shoot days 

Just now, jall25 said:

I am very very fortunate that many of our guns do turn up - not just them but beaters too !

We go out together - to football / bowling / the pub too and have a little community

However - we do get a few who dont turn up - all i try and do is get them to do something else positive - like make bird boxes / or refreshments on shoot days 

Maybe get them to do certain jobs like filling storage barrels at a time when they can 

To me the work parties are some of the best / most interesting days

7 hours ago, Scully said:

Are we talking wildfowling or game shooting? Someone mentioned beaters that’s all. 

I believe the thread started off with the intention of working parties within wildfowling clubs , these would be for , clearing up rubbish around the estuaries and rivers where they hold shooting and have public access , we have also helped out on rearing marshes , clay grounds , gun dog scurries , stands at game fairs and many more activities where many hands make light work .

This can also be used on the d i y game shoots , the last one I was on had two or three throughout the close season and also a fun day on clays with a b b q as well , on one day we put a couple of telegraph poles across a small river to make a bridge , I supplied some Oak off cuts to nail on top , we then ran a reel of chick wire out on to top of the boards for non slip purpose's , then to pass our own health and safety rules😉 ,we knocked in two six foot scaffolding poles each side with a 21ft pole joining the two to act as a guard rail , a brilliant job and saved a long walk round to get from one side to the other.

Then on another day we built a large rearing pen with bits and pieces mainly left over on building sites , thinking about it , maybe some were not left over but that's another story .:lol:

20 hours ago, Scully said:

Are we talking wildfowling or game shooting? Someone mentioned beaters that’s all. 

i was meaning wildfowling, but its really the same story with a lot of clubs regardless.  Used to be same with a fishing club as well.  takers, talkers and then the actual doers.

On 15/04/2022 at 19:40, nic said:

Yet again we are coming to the time of the year when clubs will be having works parties and clean up meets.  

It always amazes me how small a percentage of the membership bother to attend and put something back into the sport.

These works create a lot of good publicity and good feeling amongst land owners and landlords and facilitate a lot of fowling to take place.

Why then is it always the same few faces that turn up?

I know some clubs give very little notice which causes issues but others give weeks or months of notice.

perhaps it is just another show of the apathy that effects a lot of aspects of the shooting sports.

This has been happening since the dawn of time every club I’ve been in same small group of hardcore wildfowlers are the ones who do all the work can’t see it ever changing