Next season?

1 hour ago, rimfire4969 said:

I buy a few days and am lucky enough to get a some invites to some nice shoots. But for value for money my syndicate is good as long as you don't want big bags £700 ish per season, shoot 10 days bags from 20 to 45, plus pest control year round. A great bunch of guys, we feed and water our beaters but don't pay them, they do have the pick of the bag and we also have a healthy amount of children that come along for the day. Local golf club in comparison membership is £680 per year or £45 per round. 

Back in the ‘80’s I was in a DIY syndicate which did exactly this, beaters fed and watered after each day. They got so p****d we found it was cheaper to pay for commercial days.

• 4 weeks later...

Mate got in touch today to discuss our syndicate options for this season, and it was decided we would just cancel.
We’ll possibly just have a rough shoot one day in each of those months. 
There is a slim chance we may be able to get birds three weeks later than usual, dependant on what decisions are made on the continent on 1st June, but I think we may still cancel and roll our subs over to next year. 
One local shoot has been able to get birds apparently, but a very local one hasn’t. 
I have no idea what BIG shoot is doing, but I’ll no doubt find out next month as that is when we’re usually given dates. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just had another day which I had booked cancelled yesterday. It appears to me the shoots who planned for not getting birds from France and did something about it earlier enough are OK. Others decided not to bother at all this season, but  many left it too late hoping that the ban would be lifted and are now scratching around for the birds that are available at silly prices like £5 for a day old.

59 minutes ago, macca2017 said:

Just had another day which I had booked cancelled yesterday. It appears to me the shoots who planned for not getting birds from France and did something about it earlier enough are OK. Others decided not to bother at all this season, but  many left it too late hoping that the ban would be lifted and are now scratching around for the birds that are available at silly prices like £5 for a day old.

Yes, just heard £6 for a day old partridge. Crazy times.   I'm afraid like having ALL your gas from Russia, then buying ALL your birds from France or Spain is a very silly thing to do.  You should ALWAYS have Plan B.

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

Interesting debate. Our local shoot is still going ahead but no partridge. Agreed to foot the bill for the pleasure we get. Just hoping my picking up isn’t affected as that is three days a week. If it is I shall be wildfowling instead!

Yes, your quite right, closures of estate shooting will effect many folk, including beaters and pickers up.

17 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, your quite right, closures of estate shooting will effect many folk, including beaters and pickers up.

Yep, And most importantly I do it for the pleasure and it pays for my dogs for the year. Many of the beaters have no other income during the winter save what they are paid on the estate. We need to think beyond ourselves and about the wider shooting community!

Just had good news! 
A shoot where we have always taken two days, October for partridge only and December for a mixed day. Earlier this year they could only book us provisional days and would not confirm until they had enough birds on the rearing field. We have just heard yesterday that our days will go ahead as planned. The price has not increased for a number of years, but this year is up 12%.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Just had good news! 
A shoot where we have always taken two days, October for partridge only and December for a mixed day. Earlier this year they could only book us provisional days and would not confirm until they had enough birds on the rearing field. We have just heard yesterday that our days will go ahead as planned. The price has not increased for a number of years, but this year is up 12%.

Good pleased to hear it.  We still have no news from Catton. They where searching for birds.  Great pity if they don't go ahead as always had a pleasant day there.

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Good pleased to hear it.  We still have no news from Catton. They where searching for birds.  Great pity if they don't go ahead as always had a pleasant day there.

If you have a spare peg anywhere Neville, I don’t have a very full diary this season.

• 4 weeks later...

Our shoot was hit hard by the storms we lost our main release pens also a lot of the drives due to the windfall and the supply of poults was uncertain  .Eight out of the twelve members wanted to continue with the shoot if possible . So we met with the farmer  who informed us the farm was not clearing any windfall and the drives effected  would be left for at least a few years . But he would be happy to discuss terms if the syndicate still wanted to stay at the farm . The farmer agreed to reduce the rent and allow us to extend the three release pens located in the remoter part of the shoot (3000 acres) . With a very good turn out on the work days the pens have been sorted and the supply of poults confirmed  although less than we would normally release due to this season being a trial to see how the new set up goes . We are now at the stage when we can hope the upcoming season will be at least 4 driven days and as many walked up days as possible plus wild duck flight and a few walked up grouse.  

This has only been made possible because the farmer ain't greedy and  the syndicate members have put the graft in .

Role on August 🤞

1 hour ago, scutt said:

Our shoot was hit hard by the storms we lost our main release pens also a lot of the drives due to the windfall and the supply of poults was uncertain  .Eight out of the twelve members wanted to continue with the shoot if possible . So we met with the farmer  who informed us the farm was not clearing any windfall and the drives effected  would be left for at least a few years . But he would be happy to discuss terms if the syndicate still wanted to stay at the farm . The farmer agreed to reduce the rent and allow us to extend the three release pens located in the remoter part of the shoot (3000 acres) . With a very good turn out on the work days the pens have been sorted and the supply of poults confirmed  although less than we would normally release due to this season being a trial to see how the new set up goes . We are now at the stage when we can hope the upcoming season will be at least 4 driven days and as many walked up days as possible plus wild duck flight and a few walked up grouse.  

This has only been made possible because the farmer ain't greedy and  the syndicate members have put the graft in .

Role on August 🤞

Good on you mate, where there's a will there's a way, well done Mr Farmer for being so flexible.  Not so good news for me, I'm still getting let days cancelled and wont be happy until the birds are on the ground on our small syndicate.

6 hours ago, scutt said:

Role on August 🤞

Great 

You may be surprised how the drives with severe windfall holds the birds - it will have created some windbreaks and some sunny clearings.

We clear felled a couple of years ago and our woodland shooting is the best its ever been in 40 years

13 hours ago, jall25 said:

Great 

You may be surprised how the drives with severe windfall holds the birds - it will have created some windbreaks and some sunny clearings.

We clear felled a couple of years ago and our woodland shooting is the best its ever been in 40 years

I know they will hold birds it's getting the ******* out without injury to man or dog that's the problem . Not worth the risk the state of these shelter belts have to be seen to be believed.  

On 01/07/2022 at 07:39, scutt said:

I know they will hold birds it's getting the ******* out without injury to man or dog that's the problem . Not worth the risk the state of these shelter belts have to be seen to be believed.  

Got you 

Thats a shame - but all the best