toxo

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Scully said:

Irrespective of which government is in power, each has had its turn to get it right, and you would think everything in the garden should be rosy by now, (1) but it isn’t just government policy which dictates how well the economy is doing;  for instance, no one predicted a world wide pandemic, (2) and as much as it now appears our government over-reacted, they weren’t the only government to do so, but ( and we seem to go round in circles here ) what would you have done to ensure the NHS wasn’t swamped caring for covid patients to the extent no one else could be treated?
Employment in the UK is at an all time high presently, but if inflation outstrips wages then that counts for not a lot at all, and there is currently an energy ‘shortage’ due to a war in Europe(3), and while we don’t get a lot of energy from those countries, those ‘haves’ as you put it, who supply the energy, sat round a table and plucked a cost ( to the rest of us ) out of thin air based on the perceived threat that this war posed. 
Tell us, what would you do? 

That applies to any country. 

1. It's that short term planning one election to the next that stops any serious work. 

2. We did. 

3. And a lack of planning on behalf of UK plc. Still no energy policy. 

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

I didn't know that, is it because of covid or has it been like that for a while?

At the beginning of the pandemic,  my daughter lost her job . She soon found another job , and it was working for the job centre. She was dealing with the new claims.

Anyone could make a claim , either on the phone , or online . Any claim was honoured , without question , and without the usual checks .  Only now have they started wading through the claims , to sort the genuine claims from the scammers , and I believe that their was an awful lot of scammers.

The reason that it was done this way , was to make sure that nobody slipped through the net , and starved.

I have no idea if all job centres handled claims in this way , but I can't imagine that each job centre had its own rules.

In all honesty,  I struggled to wrap my head around it , and to believe that just anyone could make a claim without being checked , especially when the news channels were reporting that many people couldn't claim . If anyone other than my daughter had told me , I'm not sure that I'd have believed them.

11 minutes ago, oowee said:

1. It's that short term planning one election to the next that stops any serious work. 

2. We did. 

3. And a lack of planning on behalf of UK plc. Still no energy policy. 

1. So what do you suggest? 
2. Did we? 
3. Again, what do you suggest? It’s hard to create an effective energy policy and remain an attractive election proposition, as the Greens obviously find hard to comprehend, when you’re faced with a bunch of organisations consisting of ‘haves’ and ‘nimbies’ who have no real idea of how it works and how much it really costs for alternatives. If it was easy the Greens would be in power, but they’re probably happier knowing they’re unelectable and therefore not actually having to put any of their policies into action. 

Nuclear is a no no if you’re one of the modern day equivalents of CND, as is fossil fuel, so we import the latter. Most ‘renewables’ simply aren’t, and even then not necessarily sustainable, and as I’ve often mentioned, to go seriously green as individuals, or as a nation, costs serious money, and no one wants to pay for it. 
What do you suggest? 

OK, from here on in only those that have seen the Panarama programme that this thread pertains to are allowed to post.

If you all come back with all this **** after watching it then I'll have the measure of you. Thus far none of you have tried to address the problem and have no compassion whatever for those that are in desperate need NOW. You make me ashamed to be an Englishman.

4 minutes ago, toxo said:

OK, from here on in only those that have seen the Panarama programme that this thread pertains to are allowed to post.

If you all come back with all this **** after watching it then I'll have the measure of you. Thus far none of you have tried to address the problem and have no compassion whatever for those that are in desperate need NOW. You make me ashamed to be an Englishman.

As far as i can see nor have you

32 minutes ago, toxo said:

Oh please, get over yourself! You aren’t a member of the government , but it doesn’t stop you from being a critic! The suggestion is ridiculous! 
What have you done to ‘address the problem’?  

38 minutes ago, toxo said:

:lol::w00t::lol:

Toxo for PM!   :lol:

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

37 minutes ago, toxo said:

😁😁 toxo you just made yourself sound like Rick from the young ones 😁😁.

3 hours ago, mel b3 said:

The reason that it was done this way , was to make sure that nobody slipped through the net , and starved.

Cheers Mel, the above part certainly makes sense, but imagine how long it will take checking all the claims.

I think that anyone who has watched Panorama should be banned from posting. Seems fair to me and Toxo.

mel 3b - your daughter is accurate. A friend's daughter received a claim with four children - Good, Morning, Sun and Shine. It was paid - told not to query anything - just pay it. Joe public hasn't a clue as to benefit abuse.

Perhaps Toxo, those who think poverty is widespread or know about the system could tell me how many Tax Credit claims can be paid to one household.

39 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Cheers Mel, the above part certainly makes sense, but imagine how long it will take checking all the claims.

29 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I think that anyone who has watched Panorama should be banned from posting. Seems fair to me and Toxo.

mel 3b - your daughter is accurate. A friend's daughter received a claim with four children - Good, Morning, Sun and Shine. It was paid - told not to query anything - just pay it. Joe public hasn't a clue as to benefit abuse.

Perhaps Toxo, those who think poverty is widespread or know about the system could tell me how many Tax Credit claims can be paid to one household.

I dread to think of the cost , and how long it'll take to sort it out.

We all like to have a dig at Boris,  and his government, especially now that things like this are emerging,  but , how many people starved in this country ?, or got put onto the street because they couldn't pay the rent ?. Yes it wasn't great , and with the luxury of hindsight , it could have been done much better , but on a basic human level , they did pretty well ( I'm fighting the urge to mention downing Street parties , or the state of the nhs , or the continuing molestation of the benefits system).

The lefty in me , does sympathise with the way that toxo feels , but the common sense part of my brain ,and the things that I see with my own eyes , tell me that things aren't really ( in real human life and death terms) that bad.

23 hours ago, Mungler said:

Bang on.

If anyone thinks Labour and their cabal of loonies will do any better then fill your boots and vote that way - what you are likely to get is an unholy coalition of SNP and Labour, now there’s something to look forward to 😆

Things have always got worse under a labour government. Ever since the first Labour government in 1924 after the end of WW1 they have never left the country in a better state than they found it.

Edited by Vince Green

42 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Things have always got worse under a labour government. Ever since the first Labour government in 1924 after the end of WW1 they have never left the country in a better state than they found it.

My father, a Labour voter, always said that the country could never work under a Labour government because all the money was in Conservative hands and nobody would play ball/invest under Labour.

Bit of a generalisation, perhaps, but he may have been at least partially right.

1 minute ago, London Best said:

My father, a Labour voter, always said that the country could never work under a Labour government because all the money was in Conservative hands and nobody would play ball/invest under Labour.

Bit of a generalisation, perhaps, but he may have been at least partially right.

The real problem in my opinion has been that Labour has always spent or given away in handouts huge amounts public money. This to hide or cover up problems rather than solve them.

21 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I watched panorama , should I ban myself, 🤔 , while there are scammers in the benefit  system the vast vast majority are in genuine need

I actually doubt that, a lot have become dependent on benefits but that's not really the same as genuine need

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

The real problem in my opinion has been that Labour has always spent or given away in handouts huge amounts public money. This to hide or cover up problems rather than solve them.

Lets get this straight once and for all. Labour stands up for people not money. What does that actually mean? It means that if you want a happy society (meaning ALL society) certain things have to be in place like a police force, an NHS, a fire service and decent wages for all.

What do all those utilities have in common? THEY COST MONEY. They don't make money.

Under a tory government, these are the first to take a hit. A bit like the first out the door in a failing business is the cleaner. This is why, if you get burgled, you're lucky if you get a crime number let alone someone knocking on your door.

It's true big investors don't like Labour because their raison d'être is to MAKE MONEY. So what does the Labour party have to do in order for EVERYONE to be happy? You work it out.

17 hours ago, mel b3 said:

At the beginning of the pandemic,  my daughter lost her job . She soon found another job , and it was working for the job centre. She was dealing with the new claims.

Anyone could make a claim , either on the phone , or online . Any claim was honoured , without question , and without the usual checks .  Only now have they started wading through the claims , to sort the genuine claims from the scammers , and I believe that their was an awful lot of scammers.

I have no idea if all job centres handled claims in this way , but I can't imagine that each job centre had its own rules.

In all honesty,  I struggled to wrap my head around it , and to believe that just anyone could make a claim without being checked , especially when the news channels were reporting that many people couldn't claim . If anyone other than my daughter had told me , I'm not sure that I'd have believed them.

Apparently that's always been the case for benefits.

My cousin and her husband both worked all their working life for DHSS (as it was then) on Merseyside.

They were not allowed to cast doubt on, or say they didn't believe anything a claimant told  them no matter how ridiculous it sounded.

So basically  anybody could walk in, spin a load of old cobblers and walk out with the money even though nobody believed a word they had said. And on Merseyside there were a lot of people doing just that back then.

I believe its been tightened up a lot since those days

I still maintain it doesnt matter who gets in they only look after themselves but if your into field sport you try to vote tactily but it wont matter fieldsports will be dead in our life time 

We need somebody with a real backbone to get in and sort out poverty but as most of the votes come from inner cities they pamper to there needs

I had a cousin spent a year doing a gamekeepers course at collage deprived others a place on the course one weel before exams left with a bad back incase he got offered a job him and his mrs on dole for life free house etc he helps out at a farm she cleans houses all cash in hand 

My mates little brother got offered a job said fine but i need tuesday off thats my fishing day ,Told to F Off  during the season shoots 3 days a week fishes 2 has 11 kids never had a job but again free house and all the extras 

My old boss his daughter worked for the council dishing out free stuff a single mum free flat all the extrs getting a free fridge freezer kicked off in the office because she got offered a brown one , That doesnt go with my decor i want a white one < Her boss came to see what the noise was , she was told to dig out a white one from somewhere to  get rid of her 

My view total wasters on the poverty line because they chioce to be and work the system 

There are some real folk on the poverty line and work hard trying to help themselves and get out of it but most are quite happy to be on the dole and poverty line all there lives