Thinking about a 10 bore, but what to feed it with?

I keep thinking about getting a 10 bore for geese.  I usually shoot an old winchester sx3 12g 31/2" and looked at/ shouldered a browning gold 10 at a local dealer. I knew it would be consideribly heavier than the sx3, and it obviously was, but it seemed in proportion and fairly well ballenced so was happy there.

On asking about cartridges, the reply was "We dont have anything except lead due to the current situation".  This is no good to me where I intend to use it.

I would like some opinion on what factory loads anyone else can get and uses or what route to take should home loading be an alternitive.

Many thanks

If you bought it now I'm sure you would source some steel cartridges by September!

If you intend to use it regularly as mentioned above home loading is the way to go , I use my browning gold 10b  for morning flights and some weeks everyday I couldnt afford to have issues sourcing ammo .

I've got a couple boxes  of factory loaded steel remmington if you get stuck , cant remember last time I fired a factory loaded round . 

If you haven't already bought it, don't ..spend the money on some decent heavy stuff and load goose loads.. chopping and changing guns won't help put more in the bag.... Probably like most lads on here, iv had 8,10 bores... I now mainly use  a 12 bore yeoman, for everything just change the cartridge to suit the occasion

13 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Load your own is the way to go. You will get a superior result and can tweak if needs be. It’s all we do up here.

That's what i was thinking really.  Do you have any recipie ideas for general guidance to start me off please Dave.  I have been looking this morning at sites and found Balistic Products "the mighty 10 gauge" which may be usefull, although being US would components be obtainable here from the likes of clay and game?  Any help or tips greatly welcomed, Thanks.

12 hours ago, Smiler23 said:

If you haven't already bought it, don't ..spend the money on some decent heavy stuff and load goose loads.. chopping and changing guns won't help put more in the bag.... Probably like most lads on here, iv had 8,10 bores... I now mainly use  a 12 bore yeoman, for everything just change the cartridge to suit the occasion

Yeah, I know!  Always fear the man with one gun, but Ive got an itch and may have to sctarch it!!

If you want a big boomer go for it. I love my gold 10.

As for cartridges just homeload. It's not hard to do and works about alot cheaper. My 10ga cartridges work out cheaper than shop brought 12g 3.5.

With my 10 I get about 10-15 yards extra range over people using 12 bores. You could certainly tell the difference when I was up in Scotland, I'd added a few more to the bag as a result of taking my 10 decoying 

5 hours ago, sky gipsy said:

That's what i was thinking really.  Do you have any recipie ideas for general guidance to start me off please Dave.  I have been looking this morning at sites and found Balistic Products "the mighty 10 gauge" which may be usefull, although being US would components be obtainable here from the likes of clay and game?  Any help or tips greatly welcomed, Thanks.

Yeah, I know!  Always fear the man with one gun, but Ive got an itch and may have to sctarch it!!

We load 42 gns Alliant steel powder and 42gms of steel in BB or BBB. Cases, BPD wads and all components available from Claygame.

19 hours ago, Jimbo yorks said:

If you want a big boomer go for it. I love my gold 10.

As for cartridges just homeload. It's not hard to do and works about alot cheaper. My 10ga cartridges work out cheaper than shop brought 12g 3.5.

With my 10 I get about 10-15 yards extra range over people using 12 bores. You could certainly tell the difference when I was up in Scotland, I'd added a few more to the bag as a result of taking my 10 decoying 

Jimbo

I've loaded 12g in the past sucessfully with a LeeLoadall, but for the 10 would I need a machine or could I do it all by hand.  What about the crimp?  Im not sure if a roll finish would be OK in an auto.

I see you love your gold 10.  Do you use the factory chokes or aftermarket for your best results.

Thanks, S.G.

I used factory chokes with no problems last year. Got a stud10 choke to try this year.

Machine wise I've got a bit of a mixture. It's a mec600 10gauge but with gaep tools on it. Gives alot tighter better crimp.

If your going down the machine route get the steelmaster, it's alot more suited to non toxic shot and doesn't have the issues that the standard one does with large shot bridging.

Load wise I've been using 40grains of ssb 150 with 42 gram of steel bb in biodegradable shot cups from clay and game in cheddite cases. Shot a good few geese this year with that combo out to around 50 yards give or take.

10 hours ago, Jimbo yorks said:

I used factory chokes with no problems last year. Got a stud10 choke to try this year.

Machine wise I've got a bit of a mixture. It's a mec600 10gauge but with gaep tools on it. Gives alot tighter better crimp.

If your going down the machine route get the steelmaster, it's alot more suited to non toxic shot and doesn't have the issues that the standard one does with large shot bridging.

Load wise I've been using 40grains of ssb 150 with 42 gram of steel bb in biodegradable shot cups from clay and game in cheddite cases. Shot a good few geese this year with that combo out to around 50 yards give or take.

What velocity are you getting with that load, out of interest?

39 minutes ago, Smudger687 said:

What velocity are you getting with that load, out of interest?

I have absolutely no idea! Its the original data from Steve at clay and game, just the pressure data

Either way it kills geese Stone dead in the air so it good enough for me!

Also quite a few others using that load. 

Clay and game probably can tl you the velocity having all the gear to do it now. So if your after data on the bio cups I'd give them a ring.

1 minute ago, Jimbo yorks said:

I have absolutely no idea! Its the original data from Steve at clay and game, just the pressure data

Either way it kills geese Stone dead in the air so it good enough for me!

Also quite a few others using that load. 

Clay and game probably can tl you the velocity having all the gear to do it now. So if your after data on the bio cups I'd give them a ring.

I've spoken a fair bit to Clay & Game about load data and load testing; they are, to say the least, unhelpful. 

I do actually have some 10 bore fibre cups but they look so bloody lopsided - half of the wad always seems to have significantly thicker walls than the other. I assume you've had no issues with pinholing/barrel scoring?

The 48mm ones will take 42 gram steel bb no bother with a cork spacer to get the stack height. No need to cut them down then.

As for cutting the wads I cut them at a 45 degree angle for a bit of overlap. Pop them in an old cut down case brass to give you consistent depth of slit. Out the 100 or so I fired last season i can't see any evidance of barrel scoring. The pieces I picked up were all in a good state no holes in them.

If you plan on using harder shot like TSS stick to TPS wads, I don't think these cardboard ones would be up to it 

On 16/04/2022 at 18:59, sky gipsy said:

I keep thinking about getting a 10 bore for geese.  I usually shoot an old winchester sx3 12g 31/2" and looked at/ shouldered a browning gold 10 at a local dealer. I knew it would be consideribly heavier than the sx3, and it obviously was, but it seemed in proportion and fairly well ballenced so was happy there.

On asking about cartridges, the reply was "We dont have anything except lead due to the current situation".  This is no good to me where I intend to use it.

I would like some opinion on what factory loads anyone else can get and uses or what route to take should home loading be an alternitive.

Many thanks

right im going to get shot down now........ive had a 10 bore....and quite honestly i didnt find alot of difference twixt that and a 12 bore 3".........the advantage with the 12 is a far greater cartridge choice as opposed to a 10 bore....unless if you want all the faff of loading your own

going big dosnt really kick in till you are inthe 8 bore range........

On 18/04/2022 at 08:02, sky gipsy said:

Jimbo

I've loaded 12g in the past sucessfully with a LeeLoadall, but for the 10 would I need a machine or could I do it all by hand.  What about the crimp?  Im not sure if a roll finish would be OK in an auto.

I see you love your gold 10.  Do you use the factory chokes or aftermarket for your best results.

Thanks, S.G.

Use your loadall to pre crimp your 10 shells then use a 10  bore spinner to finish um off no need to fork out for a 10 bore machine or alternatively just do rto loads.. I would save my money and stick with a 12 and load some 28gram tss that will out shoot a 10 load any day of the week