Somerton Guns

button

Can any one give me any info on the above? My understanding was they took over from D&K, and I have heard some less than complimentary comments but of late I have seen a couple that actually look and feel like very nice pieces and just wondered if they did some better models with some better thought Spanish producers, like Arrieta, if anyone can give info that would be greatly appreciated or any old marketing brochures they could scan

Any help or info will be appreciated 

TIA

Some of them were fairly poor quality guns and not very well made. They looked ok and the price made them quite attractive but there were some horror stories from local gunsmiths when they started to break down. Denton & Kennell disappeared some years ago. The shop is now an art gallery.

I bought a SbS SLE from them back in the late 80s - are they still trading? All seemed well albeit being somewhat heavy. Then I removed the locks for cleaning and found there was differing Ser. Nos. stamped on various bits. I got shot of it.                             

Edited by wymberley

15 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

They were these. Model 803. The Spanish proof and maker's mark on the action flats spoke to the truth.

https://www.arrietashotguns.com/en/portfolio_page/phasianus-803-2/

Those Sir, are very nice indeed and in my favourite bore. I bet you regret having sold them.

OB

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Those Sir, are very nice indeed and in my favourite bore. I bet you regret having sold them.

OB

Yes. I damn well do. I sold them and kept my Boss 12 bore. If I had know what the idiots at BASC were intending I'd have sold the Boss (which thanks to the BASC idiots I know have) and kept the 16 bore Somerton pair.

Denton and Kennel sold a whole range of guns made by several different Spanish makers.  Some were (as has been said above) Arietta, who made a very good product and were used by other UK makers such as I believe William Powell.  Some of the cheaper ones were by lesser Spanish makers - and UK gunsmiths didn't rate them.