Another winchester 101 for the cabinet

Ausgunner

13 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Fair enough … I’ve been resisting that one for nearly a year now!!

I’ve also a 30” that gets used on occasional sim and higher bird days.

Yes it’s been listed for ages little expensive maybe?, as I have two of these I thought I would see if I could replace one with a nice 20 ga preferably an older Winchester just because I’ve never used a 20.

Edited by holloway
Spelling

On 07/05/2022 at 01:53, holloway said:

Ausgunner do you ever see any of these down there ? 101 Waterfowl came in 30 or 32 inch 3 inch chamber proofed to 4 tons multi choke ,fairly solid weighty old gun.This is one I rarely use nowadays.

9CF4A49D-B191-4118-81DC-8254A8C03ECF.jpeg

C59BA25C-DFB0-431D-8691-84763DCD26C2.jpeg

5D9C9DCE-4AF3-4758-A890-E3DAE39DFE06.jpeg

No not really, mainly pigeon grades, field grades and every now and then a grand european or diamond grade pop up, lovely gun

On 08/05/2022 at 07:29, holloway said:

Sadly not but if you are looking for one Mickley  hall corporation has one advertised on Guntrader for £850 ,looks immaculate,it’s not advertised as a Waterfowl.I had one years ago but found the 30 inch more handleable.

That's where I bought my cheapie from..a nice lass by the name of Lara dealt with me... absolutely first class

3 hours ago, tweedledee said:

That's where I bought my cheapie from..a nice lass by the name of Lara dealt with me... absolutely first class

When I started doing clay competitions I searched high and low for a 6500 30 inch m/c sporter ended up owning several from fixed choke ,32 inch down to 28 inch I never found anything to compare with there handling qualities the fixed choke 30 inch version was probably the best  you have found a proper bargain !

15 minutes ago, holloway said:

When I started doing clay competitions I searched high and low for a 6500 30 inch m/c sporter ended up owning several from fixed choke ,32 inch down to 28 inch I never found anything to compare with there handling qualities the fixed choke 30 inch version was probably the best  you have found a proper bargain !

I also have a 6500 deluxe fixed choke 30" in the cabinet...it's an absolute peach in pretty much unfired condition....bought it at start of lockdown and still have yet to pull the trigger on it....

45 minutes ago, tweedledee said:

I also have a 6500 deluxe fixed choke 30" in the cabinet...it's an absolute peach in pretty much unfired condition....bought it at start of lockdown and still have yet to pull the trigger on it....

As good as it gets in my opinion. , 

On 10/05/2022 at 09:50, tweedledee said:

How have you got that gun so long,  and not fired a shot out of it, when I buy a gun, I have to shoot something ASAP  with it!!

• 3 weeks later...

Question for 101 fans, the proof on the 3 inch chambered 101s is 4 ton ( short or american ton) which by my sums is about 551 bar, well short of the quoted ( BASC) 930 bar for current Nitro proof for standard steel and standard lead. All my other Nitro proof guns show 850 bar in the stamp. Anyone shooting steel through a 101? My Winchester pump is stamped 4 Ton, 3 inch and Magnum, but again, would only equate to 551 bar.

Anyone disposing of an XTR Super Grade Lightweight, Im always interested.

20 minutes ago, harpoonlouis said:

Question for 101 fans, the proof on the 3 inch chambered 101s is 4 ton ( short or american ton) which by my sums is about 551 bar, well short of the quoted ( BASC) 930 bar for current Nitro proof for standard steel and standard lead. All my other Nitro proof guns show 850 bar in the stamp. Anyone shooting steel through a 101? My Winchester pump is stamped 4 Ton, 3 inch and Magnum, but again, would only equate to 551 bar.

Anyone disposing of an XTR Super Grade Lightweight, Im always interested.

I put Gamebore Super Steel 3’s and 4’s (HP) through my 2&3/4 chambered Diamond Grade many times when shooting Duck. It never came to any harm. 

I have put plenty of standard steel through it but realised I had put a few superior loads through it too ( mixed box of shells) which I now think is pushing it a bit and probably wont repeat.

On the topic of 101's anyone know of any uk supplier that still has any ejector hammers in stock? Have bought from US before butthey don't like shipping to UK any more.

Thanks

5 hours ago, harpoonlouis said:

I have put plenty of standard steel through it but realised I had put a few superior loads through it too ( mixed box of shells) which I now think is pushing it a bit and probably wont repeat.

On the topic of 101's anyone know of any uk supplier that still has any ejector hammers in stock? Have bought from US before butthey don't like shipping to UK any more.

Thanks

You could always send it for steel shot proofing? All this would do however, is make you realise it was capable all along. Even that however, is no guarantee steel shot won’t ruin your barrel, because that is down to the wad, steel proofing or not.
Apart from that it would probably increase its resale value. 

• 2 months later...