ZAN .177 slugs

villaman

Well ZAN sent me few hundred.177 slugs to try 11.2 gr . 
HW100 k didn’t like them to much , low power . Next up BSA ultra , only trouble this is night time set up with pulsar N870lrf which is not that good during day time . I imagine these groups would be a lot tighter with a day scope on . 
tried from 30 -65 yards and pic shows at 65 yards with night vision scope 
ultra running at 11.3 with these , bit heavy at 11.2 gr in sub 12 but ZAN hopefully will be making slugs around 10 gr mark 

264BDA48-420F-4853-B51C-ACA1AE4C515D.jpeg

11 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, they don't look ideal for sub 12 air rifles, more for FAC ? The 10 gr may fair better, 

But like I said with this night vision scope it all most useless in day time 

I reckon these groups would tighten up to around  10 mm mark at 65 yards 

8 minutes ago, villaman said:

But like I said with this night vision scope it all most useless in day time 

I reckon these groups would tighten up to around  10 mm mark at 65 yards 

Hello, your right on day time use for that NV scope, if that's 65 yards for sub 12 it's stretching the range a fair bit?

Cheers villa man .I'd like that .

I tried the 10 grn jsb ko's and they shot pretty well .accuracy  wise .

But the big disappointment  was that they didn't expand much on impact I think that 10 grns just isn't enough lead to drive the expansion .I had them going at 890 fps from the muzzle .expansion  at 20 yds was OK ish .but beyond that it was poor .by comparison  some 13  grn slugs I tried shot around 850 fps expanded well even out to 70 yds .

For me one of the biggest reasons  for shooting a slug is the deposited energy into quarry driven by expansion .

The ko's just passed right through a pigeon at 30 yds and carried way too much residual energy down range .(I already have guns and pellets that do this  ) 

So .a slug needs to be cheap enough .expand ,accurate  load through the mag well  and be easily available  .

So far of the slugs I've tried all have failed on at least 2 of the above .

I know zan is doing good things with .22 and .25 slugs and I've been eagerly awaiting the .177 .   11 grns might be the sweet spot  .

45 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Don't you have a day scope ? a night vision add on ?

Dedicated pulsar N870lrf 

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

Cheers villa man .I'd like that .

I tried the 10 grn jsb ko's and they shot pretty well .accuracy  wise .

But the big disappointment  was that they didn't expand much on impact I think that 10 grns just isn't enough lead to drive the expansion .I had them going at 890 fps from the muzzle .expansion  at 20 yds was OK ish .but beyond that it was poor .by comparison  some 13  grn slugs I tried shot around 850 fps expanded well even out to 70 yds .

For me one of the biggest reasons  for shooting a slug is the deposited energy into quarry driven by expansion .

The ko's just passed right through a pigeon at 30 yds and carried way too much residual energy down range .(I already have guns and pellets that do this  ) 

So .a slug needs to be cheap enough .expand ,accurate  load through the mag well  and be easily available  .

So far of the slugs I've tried all have failed on at least 2 of the above .

I know zan is doing good things with .22 and .25 slugs and I've been eagerly awaiting the .177 .   11 grns might be the sweet spot  .

Pm me your address and will get them sent of to you 

• 2 weeks later...

Little up date on these slugs .

From my bsa clx sub 12 .

They shot pretty well out to 20 yds in my garden but over the chrono they dropped (from 11.5 with jsb heavies ) to 9.3 fpe .

I guess that there just isn't the airblast to fully blow the skirt into the bore enough and hence we getblow past and dropped velocities  .

Today down the farm with the fac 

This loss of energy wasn't a problem as the gun gave the 18.5 - 19 fpe expected  (same as heavies  and 8.4s go at around 17.5 fpe) 

When I found the sweet spot on the charge for these slugs (my gun is unregged ) they shotsome lovely groups even out to 80 yds of around an inch and wind drift was a 1/4 value  of the 8.4s . Drop being about the same at 80  more at 40 yds   so they have a high bc for sure (0.055 ? ) 

The biggest issue for me was that the sweet spot was for around 10 shots .

(Normally get 30 with 8.4s )  and I saw a lot of vertical  stringing either side .

If I had a big bottled  regged gun  these could have a LOT of potential .and I feel zan is on to something with these .for sure .unfortunately  for me I've decided slugs are not for my gun and I'm sticking to pellets from now on .

Cheers villa man .

I have a few more left and may do some expansion  tests and bc test just for extra info .

Nicely done @villaman the only grouping or figures I've seen for sub 12 that made me think slugs could work were in a Pulsar, so the fps could be easily changed, but what happens if a jsb heavy gets loaded instead of a slug?

10 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

They shot pretty well out to 20 yds in my garden but over the chrono they dropped (from 11.5 with jsb heavies ) to 9.3 fpe

That's why I don't understand the interest in slugs at sub 12, too much speed loss.

18 hours ago, Mice! said:

Nicely done @villaman the only grouping or figures I've seen for sub 12 that made me think slugs could work were in a Pulsar, so the fps could be easily changed, but what happens if a jsb heavy gets loaded instead of a slug?

That's why I don't understand the interest in slugs at sub 12, too much speed loss.

All depends on the gun and gun tune 

like I said had the ZAN slugs running @ 11.3ft in my regged BSA ultra and low 10 high 9 ftlbs in my HW100k 

1 hour ago, villaman said:

All depends on the gun and gun tune 

like I said had the ZAN slugs running @ 11.3ft in my regged BSA ultra and low 10 high 9 ftlbs in my HW100k 

I realise what your saying,  but would a jsb heavy through the ultra not go over the 12 limit?

Every gun is different. 

I tried these slugs in an unregged bsa clx 

Villa man's  is a regged  ultra se ? 

The air delivery can be very different  

And hence give different efficiencies at muzzle  

I could try them trough a series of different .177 bsa's I have to determine a trend   .but can't really be bothered