Watch prices ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

I fancied an Omega Seamaster 300 at about £5000+. I also like the look of the Longines Hydroconquest at £1000+.

Both good makes but how can one be £4000 better than the other ?.

Thanks all.

53 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

I fancied an Omega Seamaster 300 at about £5000+. I also like the look of the Longines Hydroconquest at £1000+.

Thanks all.

Probably similar to why a Purdey gun is £100,000 better than a Baikal?

2 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

In your opinion! I have several friends who wear expensive watches daily

Your correct because I have know those people too but I have friends who don't wear a decent watch to go dog training, beating or picking up but do wear one if the occasion suits

Hi

Much to do with the Brand and exclusivity, as well as controlling availablity into the retail market

Budgets for advertising and Authorised Dealers (same as cars) also comes into.......

TZ-UK Forum can provide more detail - as well as other equivalent high-end Brands!

L

PS - remember the Cost of Ownership too - recommended service costs (2-5yrs depending on watch and Brand) soon add up.

Edited by Loki
Additional info

46 minutes ago, Loki said:

PS - remember the Cost of Ownership too - recommended service costs (2-5yrs depending on watch and Brand) soon add up.

This /\.

I have two Rolexes, both plain basic steel models, one was mine (bought circa 1978) and worn continuously to about 30 years.  The other was my father's (bought circa 1946) and also worn for many years. 

I 'retired' mine when a quote for service was coming in at over £1000 (Rolex UK) - as spares, notably a new steel strap - were needed as the links have worn to being riskily loose (i.e. likely to break and so possibly loose the watch).  My father's did have a new (second hand) steel strap a few years ago, but is a non self winder, so although it works well, it isn't that convenient to wear daily.

And it’s all about fashion. I find the trend to big chunky watches, like I would wear when diving, vulgar. Give me a good quality slim understated watch any time. Also don’t wear out the cuffs on your shirts! I have a few and my favourite is an Art Deco gold Lord Elgin that would now be seen as a ladies watch but no longer fashionable.

9 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Give me a good quality slim understated watch any time.

These are my two, both plain and the 'small man's' size!

IMG_3263.jpeg

Edited by JohnfromUK
Original image was in some weird Apple format and didn't show.

4 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

And it’s all about fashion. I find the trend to big chunky watches, like I would wear when diving, vulgar. Give me a good quality slim understated watch any time. 

But the big chunky ones are more “noticeable” for the “look at me” brigade.

8 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Thanks all.

Hope you are keeping well Ron. Because one brand has been to the moon & worn by 007. Sold my seamaster 8yrs ago wish i had kept it as price's have skyrocketed.  Wanted another quality Swiss watch so got myself a Tudor black bay very nice.

Paul.

Edited by fse10

My everyday watch is a £500 hamilton khaki field, my 'best' watch is a (if you buy one rrp now) £5000 omega speedmaster professional. Is the omega 10x better quality than the hamilton? Absolutely not,especially considering that they are basically made by the same company (swatch group) but you do pay for the perceived value of the name, the history, and the cache that comes from wearing one. Someone commented earlier that its the same with guns and i think they were spot on. Is/was a purdey 10x better than something like a westley richards sidelock? No, but if you want to be noticed or to keep up with the jones's you buy the purdey...

This is my sales thread from August last year. You can’t get a stainless date sub now for much under £10k.

I had been tipping posh watches for a while now, but no one listens eh? apart from the chap off here who bought them and is now a good few grand in front.

Incidentally, I wouldn’t buy now, the prices are just ridiculous 😆

8A4893EB-63D3-4CB1-AADA-CFBDA1BB71DC.jpeg

On 18/04/2022 at 07:52, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Thanks all.

My daily wear is normally my Omega Planet Ocean. I love the Omega brand, It's like having a handmade gun compared to a Beretta off the shelf, both do the same job but the Omega will not lose a lot and may even increase in value.

On 18/04/2022 at 09:12, Mice! said:

Watches are an investment these days, who would choose to wear a 5K watch?

I do every day, working, shooting, surfing etc.

On 19/04/2022 at 17:32, Mungler said:

This is my sales thread from August last year. You can’t get a stainless date sub now for much under £10k.

I had been tipping posh watches for a while now, but no one listens eh? apart from the chap off here who bought them and is now a good few grand in front.

Incidentally, I wouldn’t buy now, the prices are just ridiculous 😆

You were not wrong.😜

3 hours ago, rimfire4969 said:

My daily wear is normally my Omega Planet Ocean. I love the Omega brand, It's like having a handmade gun compared to a Beretta off the shelf, both do the same job but the Omega will not lose a lot and may even increase in value.

I do every day, working, shooting, surfing etc.

You were not wrong.😜

😆😆😆😆

I have two Timex Expeditions which I purchased over 30 years ago and wear every day one at a time of course. They have never missed a beat and have served mt well.

The one was expensive it cost me $12..50 at a general store in Houston,  Texas. Like guns, cars etc etc, you wastes your money how you wish, it is a free world.

Edited by Walker570