Clicker training

bigbird

• 1 month later...

I think clicker training is fantastic, as you say it allows you to mark the desired behaviour at exactly the right moment which can be very important. The only downside is if performed with incorrect timing it can really mess your training up as the dog can associate the reward for doing something completely wrong. 

On 29/05/2022 at 09:18, scutt said:

How do you control dogs at a distance or windy conditions is it a combination of whistle and clicks ? 

The click is just to mark the desired behaviour at the exact moment the dog is doing it. It basically allows you to 'reward' the same as throwing a ball or giving a treat without having to be right next to them, which has all sorts of benefits. 

16 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

The click is just to mark the desired behaviour at the exact moment the dog is doing it. It basically allows you to 'reward' the same as throwing a ball or giving a treat without having to be right next to them, which has all sorts of benefits. 

Sorry I must be thick I thought the click was a command .Is the click to get the attention of the dog before giving the command .Do you combine the clicker with the whistle once you have the desired behaviour from your dogs .

The clicker is simply there to mark the behaviour you want, that’s all. It shouldn’t be used to get the dog’s attention. 

Have a look at this - I’ve not watched it all the way through but hopefully it’ll clear things up a bit

4 minutes ago, scutt said:

Sorry I must be thick I thought the click was a command .Is the click to get the attention of the dog before giving the command .Do you combine the clicker with the whistle once you have the desired behaviour from your dogs .

The click is associated to the dog as the reward, so it allows you to 'reward' the dog, without having to be stood next to it and allows you to time the reward much more precisely than trying to throw say a ball in exactly the right place or at the right time. You will still give a conventional reward, the click is just the que to the dog it's done the right thing and will now be rewarded for it. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

The clicker is simply there to mark the behaviour you want, that’s all. It shouldn’t be used to get the dog’s attention. 

Have a look at this - I’ve not watched it all the way through but hopefully it’ll clear things up a bit

You just beat me 

11 hours ago, scutt said:

Thanks for info . I'm old school and I can see how this works in a confined space . Think I will stick to whistle and voice.

I get that but if you do ever get a chance to train with someone who is experienced with it, I'd give it a try, it really can be a game changer, particularly when getting into advanced training, it really allows you to sharpen things up, particularly in getting a dog into exact positions or timings. 

11 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I get that but if you do ever get a chance to train with someone who is experienced with it, I'd give it a try, it really can be a game changer, particularly when getting into advanced training, it really allows you to sharpen things up, particularly in getting a dog into exact positions or timings. 

Very true, Pablo throws himself into his positions ie ‘down’ so fast it’s comical 😂