Phew! that was close.

7daysinaweek

4 hours ago, discobob said:

Could be - from deep in the recesses of my subconsciousness - although I was serving when Black Adder Goes Forth was being shown (1989).

I came out with that about 12 years ago at the new MOD Corsham site in Wiltshire, when walking across some grass with others (civvies) - when one of them chirped up that there could be landmines - to which I responded.... As above!!

Perhaps Ben Elton stole that from you then. Still a good line whoever first came up with it 👍

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

quite honestly.....how dangerous are the muntions.....are they that sensertive after all them decades...?????

I recall visiting a German Blockhaus on the French coast in about 1970 where all the ammunition had been under water for 25 years. The owner picked up a length of cordite from the water lit it and it flared up as though it was new and dry. Under pressure it would still have been quite dangerous. I therefore have no doubt that the munitions on the Montgomery are still volatile. Just my thoughts.

OB

40 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I knew you'd have the scientifical answer to it all mate 👍

do you know ...that in order to stop those mines rusting they were painted with black lead mixed with oil of ginger..........amazing the things you learn on this forum:good:

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

do you know ...that in order to stop those mines rusting they were painted with black lead mixed with oil of ginger..........amazing the things you learn on this forum:good:

I just knew you'd manage to sneak the ginger in the back door 😁.

10 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Just wait until dave knows that youve been throwing Gordon Bennett around all willy nilly 🤫.

Mel, he  has used the Gordon Bennett and his Willy just when it was needed!  :good:  :cool1:  :w00t:  :rolleyes:  :lol:.

Off shooting soon, play nicely.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

On 11/05/2022 at 18:41, ditchman said:

A real ginger growler that?