Short 22 rounds

ShootingEgg

37 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Mate of mine has been gifted a 22 semi auto, that you feed the rounds in through the stock, manual says it will take standard and short rounds, but he cannot load the standard round, it just won't have any of it. Any one know anywhere that stocks short 22 rounds? He isn't getting much luck with it.

is it a fairground .22 ?.........they were subject to modification to adhere to showmans legal entitelment ......

@ditchman all I know is there is an odd hole on side of stock and a rod that is used to push the rounds in. 

He just can't seem to get hold off the short rounds

14 minutes ago, bluesj said:

I take it by standard you are thinking .22Long Rifle. I could be wrong but but sure there was / is a .22 Long, same case as .22LR but a shorter bullet.

Sorry yeah lr is my standard lol

16 minutes ago, London Best said:

Sounds like an old Browning Mod. B

As Ditchie said, showmen we’re restricted to using .22 short only, but I never realised the rifles were modified to only take that round. Makes sense though.

Checked with a mate, it is a mod. B _ - as I said, he went to a shop that had a brand new one, manual states it takes both but his 100% doesnt.

Search continues, he is down to his last 100 rounds and worried he'll have a surplus rifle as no one seems to have them in the southwest 

There's various rifles that used ONLY .22 Short and that were loaded through the stock. These were some British...the BSA Ralock, but mostly American. Note that later Ralock would also take standard .22LR. Any GOOD gunshop will be able to get you .22 Short but rightly may want a minimum order as it's not exactly in great demand (you friend excepted). Try a ring round local established gunshops they may have an odd box.

https://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Ralock_and_Armatic_semi-auto_rifles.html

Edited by enfieldspares

18 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

There's various rifles that used ONLY .22 Short and that were loaded through the stock. These were some British...the BSA Ralock, but mostly American. Note that later Ralock would also take standard .22LR. Any GOOD gunshop will be able to get you .22 Short but rightly may want a minimum order as it's not exactly in great demand (you friend excepted). Try a ring round local established gunshops they may have an odd box.

https://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Ralock_and_Armatic_semi-auto_rifles.html

Mate was gifted the gun and is now finding out they are not readily available.. I'm sure I can speak with my local shop for him and see if they can get some.. need to find out how many he is allowed to hold

14 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Mate of mine has been gifted a 22 semi auto, that you feed the rounds in through the stock, manual says it will take standard and short rounds, but he cannot load the standard round, it just won't have any of it. Any one know anywhere that stocks short 22 rounds? He isn't getting much luck with it.

You say they won’t load, by that, do you mean they won’t chamber? If it’s been used with shorts for a long period of time the shorts will have created a burn ring in the chamber, stopping a longer cartridge from chambering. If that’s the case, it will need a good scrub to remove the residue.

8 minutes ago, Rimfireboy said:

You say they won’t load, by that, do you mean they won’t chamber? If it’s been used with shorts for a long period of time the shorts will have created a burn ring in the chamber, stopping a longer cartridge from chambering. If that’s the case, it will need a good scrub to remove the residue.

To be honest I'm just the messenger, will tell him to give it a good clean and then see what happens. But as others have said it may have been modified to only take the shorts

• 2 weeks later...